This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Defending the early seasons

Okay... I'm a little tired of everyone saying the first few seasons were so bad. Granted the later were better, but we didn't have them yet. I have to say that Stargate has been the best show ever on picking up loose threads and running with them. I've never seen another show that evoleved as much and showed the evolution. Not only do we get the "cool space stuff" it takes us time to develope it etc.

So this thread is a little debate. I've gone through and created brief listing of my personal opinon of the first few seasons worthyness and important notes. Disagree or I miss something... post.

This is what I like about the first few seasons

The exploring factor
    Meeting races and cultures for the first time
    The introduction of various mythologies of those cultures
    Putting a Sci-fi spin on those Earth-based Mythologies
    The overall Awsomenes of RDA!
    sigpic

Comment

-Season 4-
      SMALL VICTORIES - Good! - Carter’s dumb idea is to destroy the Oneal, funny!
      THE OTHER SIDE - eh - send in the clones
      UPGRADES - good and funny - Super SG1
      CROSSROADS - eh - Teal’c gets a girl… briefly
      DIVIDE AND CONQUER - eh - Carter/oneal, and Carter’s Black widow effect begins
      WINDOW OF OPPORTUNITY - Funny! - and the winner of the comedy category for SG1 goes to… seriously if not the funniest, one of the top 5!
      WATERGATE - okay, Russians have the beta gate and screw it up
      THE FIRST ONES - okay - hey there are aliens that don’t speak english!
      SCORCHED EARTH - eh - nothing major
      BENEATH THE SURFACE - eh - everyone has their memory’s erased, Carter/ONeil
      POINT OF NO RETURN - eh - What happens when your paranoia is right?
      TANGENT - good - shows we really had a learning curve with alien tech… another example of the kind of story they couldn’t do after we build ships.
      THE CURSE - okay - Daniel’s school reunion - at least Sarah/Osiris is good looking
      THE SERPENT’S VENOM - eh - Teal’c is tortured, again.
      CHAIN REACTION - eh - there’s a new boss in town… the first naqudah bomb
      2010 - GOOD! - one of the best Future Eps
      ABSOLUTE POWER - good - what could go wrong if we get what we want, future ep
      THE LIGHT - eh - Whoa! trippy… Stargate’s “Drugs are bad” ep
      PRODIGY - eh - Carter, the next generation
      ENTITY - eh - AI is bad
      DOUBLE JEOPARDY - eh - fun with doubles ep
      EXODUS - Good - Fun with black holes and blowing up a sun

Comment

-Season 1-
        CHILDREN OF THE GODS - It started it all
        THE ENEMY WITHIN - okay that is crap
        EMANCIPATION - crap
        THE BROCA DIVIDE - crap (but with a funny line: "Daniel, keep this up and you'll have a girl on every planet!"
        THE FIRST COMMANDMENT - crap
        COLD LAZARUS - Crap
        THE NOX - eh... basically get to know one of the big 4, but you don't realize that till
        BRIEF CANDLE - crap
        THOR'S HAMMER - Good! 1st clue to the Asgard, 1st mention of Unas, 1st clue that the host survives...
        THE TORMENT OF TANTALUS - good, 1st broken dhd, Find out about the big 4
        BLOODLINES - okay, background on Teal'c, they do some red herrings of ritual that aren't picked up again
        FIRE AND WATER - in general, crap, but good for setting the tradition of they think Daniel is dead.
        HATHOR - ehh, more stupid funny than anything, Stargates ode to "Girl Power"... Hathor is decent looking at least
        SINGULARITY - ehh, they find Cassey, that's about it.
        COR-AI - ehhh, Teal'c on trial
        ENIGMA - good - we meet the Tolan, and show them how an American treats aliens.
        SOLITUDES - Good, survival story, find Beta Gate, the whole Carter/Oneal thing...
        TIN MAN - ehh, Com-traya, gets to be funny.
        THERE BUT FOR THE GRACE OF GOD - GOOD!, the first of the alternate reality eps, which I think Stargate did far better than trek and others... a good view of "how it could have gone"
        POLITICS - crap, clip show, skip it... the only thing of any value is Kinsey first shows up here
        WITHIN THE SERPENT'S GRASP - Good! Apophis is coming and there is going to be trouble! O'neil's warning of "they can get here the old fashioned way" comes true...

Comment

-Season 2-
          THE SERPENT'S LAIR - Good!- Second half of the finalle
          IN THE LINE OF DUTY - okay - introduces the Tok'ra
          PRISONERS - eh... SG1 locked up and escapes
          THE GAMEKEEPER - Funny! - the A-Team's Murdock as the Keeper is good
          NEED - okay - Daniel drunk on the sarcophagus
          THOR'S CHARIOT - Good - meet the asgard!
          MESSAGE IN A BOTTLE - ehh, has some more carter/oneil warmth
          FAMILY - eh, save Teal's son, not much else
          SECRETS - eh, honey, I'm home!
          BANE - eh - Teal'c becomes the fly
          THE TOK'RA 1 + 2 - good, Jacob Carter, intro of Sam's first byfnd to die
          SPIRITS - funny - Indians in space!
          TOUCHSTONE - eh, the first rogue NID
          THE FIFTH RACE - Great! - asgard, Anciet revealed, super O'neil, 8th chevron, ... If you skip the others catch this one
          A MATTER OF TIME - what do you get when you cross a black hole with a wormhole... A damn good ep!
          HOLIDAY - not bad - Daniel being funny...
          SERPENT'S SONG - eh, Aphophis is dying... let's move on
          ONE FALSE STEP - crap, stargate's ode to the enviroment
          SHOW AND TELL - crap, "I see scarry monsters."
          1969 - Good - the first Stargate timetravel
          OUT OF MIND - eh, the first future ep, sorta

Comment

-Season 3-
            INTO THE FIRE - eh - save sg1 from being locked up
            SETH - not really bad, but nothing important either...
            FAIR GAME - okay - the treaty negeoatied... What do we get again?
            LEGACY - eh - Daniel goes crazy... again
            LEARNING CURVE - eh - We get Naquadah generators.. that's about it.
            POINT OF VIEW - another alternat reality, but it's and Alternate alternate
            DEADMAN SWITCH - eh - nothing really
            DEMONS - EH - different spin on Gouald playing god
            RULES OF ENGAGEMENT - good - the whole SGC training camp was interesting
            FOREVER IN A DAY - eh - daniel goes crazy - "Save the boy, save the world"
            PAST AND PRESENT - eh - nothing major
            JOLINAR'S MEMORIES + THE DEVIL YOU KNOW - Good - SG1 goes to hell!
            FOOTHOLD - eh... sgc is taken over
            PRETENSE - Trial by the Tollan
            URGO - funny - SG-1 - sees the little voice on your shoulder isn't so little
            A HUNDRED DAYS - Great! - Oneil starting over, (I still say he has a kid!) an example of the kind of story they couldn't do after we build ships.
            SHADES OF GREY - good - shows how jerky we could be if we wanted to
            NEW GROUND - eh - sg1 locked up... The cold dialing sequence was interesting
            MATERNAL INSTINCT - good - the beginning of Daniel's assention
            CRYSTAL SKULL - funny - first "I'm a ghost!" ep
            NEMESIS - good! - replicators... nuff said

Comment

Seasons 1-4 are classic in every sense of the word.
              sigpic
              Watching now: Doctor Who Series 3/29 (rewatch) - The X-Files Season 2 (rewatch) - Pushing Daisies Season 1 - Torchwood Series 1 - Red Dwarf Series 8 - Battlestar Galactica Season 2 (rewatch) - Northern Exposure Season 3 (rewatch)

Comment

Strods' SG1 Early Seasons Statistics

Great! - 2 - The Fifth Race and One Hundred Days
                Good! - 21
                Funny - 5
                Okay - 7
                Not really bad - 1
                Eh! - 33
                Crap! - 10
                I can't tell what you've rated Enemy within, what does ''Okay thats crap mean'', okay or crap?

Do you actually like Sg1 the first few seasons?
                You've rated 33 Episodes Eh!, but some are,ehhh, ehh, eh etc, and i'm assuming that they mean different levels of eh! Same goes for Great, good, funny etc.
                sigpic

Comment

I don't really see any need to defend the early seasons, they were far superior to seasons 9 and 10.

Comment

Originally posted by vzzzzzbx View Post
                    I don't really see any need to defend the early seasons, they were far superior to seasons 9 and 10.

If the first seasons had been horrible then the show wouldn't have made it to the later seasons, which it did.
                    Originally posted by Callista
                    Ahhh! Ashizuri can see into the future!!
                    Originally posted by HPMom
                    She saw the candle light as many things.

Comment

Originally posted by strods View Post
                      Okay... I'm a little tired of everyone saying the first few seasons were so bad. Granted the later were better, but we didn't have them yet. I have to say that Stargate has been the best show ever on picking up loose threads and running with them. I've never seen another show that evoleved as much and showed the evolution. Not only do we get the "cool space stuff" it takes us time to develope it etc.

So this thread is a little debate. I've gone through and created brief listing of my personal opinon of the first few seasons worthyness and important notes. Disagree or I miss something... post.
                      I don't know who's saying the early seasons were bad. They were as good, maybe better than later seasons. They don't come any better than eps like "The Fifth Race". "A Matter of Time", "Thor's Hammer", "Thor's Chariot", "Torment of Tantalus" and many more.
                      There were no really bad seasons, but season 8 IMO was the weakest.

-Season 1-
                      CHILDREN OF THE GODS - It started it all
                      Agree.
                      THE ENEMY WITHIN - okay that is crap
                      Disagree. A good ep.
                      EMANCIPATION - crap
                      Agree. One of the show's poorest episodes.
                      COLD LAZARUS - Crap
                      Totally disagree. I think Cold Lazurus was among the series' finest.
                      THOR'S HAMMER - Good! 1st clue to the Asgard, 1st mention of Unas, 1st clue that the host survives...
                      Great ep.
                      THE TORMENT OF TANTALUS - good, 1st broken dhd, Find out about the big 4
                      Not good, but great. One of the best.
                      FIRE AND WATER - in general, crap, but good for setting the tradition of they think Daniel is dead.
                      Good ep.
                      SOLITUDES - Good, survival story, find Beta Gate, the whole Carter/Oneal thing...
                      Not just good, one of the best.
                      ]POLITICS - crap, clip show, skip it... the only thing of any value is Kinsey first shows up here
                      Far from being among the series' best, it was still good.

Anyway, I could go on. We're all entitled to our opinions. Just wanted to let you know there are other views on individual episodes. Don't tell others to skip episodes. Everyone should watch and decide for themselves

My timeline of the Ancients here.

Comment

The only early season I thought was bad over all was the first, granted it had a few really strong eps like Children of the gods, There but for the Grace of God, and Within the Serpent's Grasp.

Starting with season 2 on I thought the show was fantastic... until season 9.

Comment

Originally posted by Vyse99 View Post
                          The only early season I thought was bad over all was the first, granted it had a few really strong eps like Children of the gods, There but for the Grace of God, and Within the Serpent's Grasp.

Starting with season 2 on I thought the show was fantastic... until season 9.
                          I would add to that list Thor's Hammer, the Torment of Tantalus, and Solitudes.

Comment

Originally posted by Ashizuri View Post
                            I would add to that list Thor's Hammer, the Torment of Tantalus, and Solitudes.
                            I'll agree that Thor's Hammer and Torment of Tantalus were good, but I wouldn't personally call them strong personally, at least not as strong as the ones I listed. Solitudes I found boring except for the fact that they found a second gate on Earth.

Comment

Originally posted by Vyse99 View Post
                              I'll agree that Thor's Hammer and Torment of Tantalus were good, but I wouldn't personally call them strong personally, at least not as strong as the ones I listed. Solitudes I found boring except for the fact that they found a second gate on Earth.
                              Really? Torment of Tantalus remains one of the best episodes to come out of the SG universe, for me anyway. As a whole, actually, I really enjoyed season 1.

But I completely agree that the show was amazing up until season 9.

Comment

Working...
                              X