Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was Jonas Quinn supposed to save the Asgard??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was Jonas Quinn supposed to save the Asgard??

I've been re-watching some SG1 recently and the more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that the seeds of a storyline were planted but never developed.

We've learned over the seasons that the Asgard are clones that can no longer reproduce. We also see them at various points exploring options to try and save themselves.

We also know that Jonas Quinn is more "advanced" than the average human, this is confirmed in 6x16 (Metamorphosis) by Nirrti during her genetic experiments.

During the episode 7x03 (Fragile Balance) Loki does experiments on Jack, and we find out he is more advanced, but not advanced enough to hold the key to saving the Asgard.

I think the shows writers planned for Jonas, or at least his DNA, to save the Asgard, but the storyline was not developed.

What do people think?

Originally posted by AndyJ View Post
    I've been re-watching some SG1 recently and the more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that the seeds of a storyline were planted but never developed.

We've learned over the seasons that the Asgard are clones that can no longer reproduce. We also see them at various points exploring options to try and save themselves.

We also know that Jonas Quinn is more "advanced" than the average human, this is confirmed in 6x16 (Metamorphosis) by Nirrti during her genetic experiments.

During the episode 7x03 (Fragile Balance) Loki does experiments on Jack, and we find out he is more advanced, but not advanced enough to hold the key to saving the Asgard.

I think the shows writers planned for Jonas, or at least his DNA, to save the Asgard, but the storyline was not developed.

What do people think?
    You know, now that i think of it... that sounds pretty possible.

Comment

I don't know. It's possible, I guess, but it sounds like a bit of a stretch to me. I got the impression that the writers never quite knew what to do with Jonas, and the fact that Nirrit said he was "special" or "advanced" or whatever was just another example of that. It seemed like they were trying to make his character more interesting and complex, but they didn't seem to know what to do with that element of his character (although, I guess it's possible that they would have followed up on it if Jonas had been on the show for another season). I also wondered if it was an attempt to make Jonas' extraordinary memory more plausible. All season he mentions how he's a "quick study," which could be explained by his physiological differences.
      Chief of the GGP (Gateworld Grammar Police). Punctuation is your friend. Use it!

Great happy armies shall be gathered and trained to oppose all who embrace doubt. In the name of Hope, ships shall be built to carry our disciples out amongst the stars, and we will spread Optimism to all the doubters. The power of the Optimi will be felt far and wide, and the pessimists shall become positive-thinkers.
      Hallowed are the Optimi.

Comment

its a very interesting theory...i think i might go back and watch to see if i notcie wat u did....but i bet its possible they were planning something big with jonas.

Comment

I'm sure they had something in mind for Jonas, but If they'd intended the Asgard to be saved, they probably would have rewritten it to have someone else accomplish the task. It was a matter of DNA, all they would have had to do it was have some alien device scramble someone's DNA... On the other hand, they might have done something like that if the series hadn't been cancelled.

Comment

Hmm, interesting theory. I'm not sure if I see it though - I always got the impression that the reason they said Jonas was 'special' was to explain why he could step in for Daniel so quickly and easily.

Comment

I forgot about that episode "Metamorphosis", that would truly make Jonas a well remembered character.

Comment

I think personally it is a shame that they killed off the Asguard, they were one of the coolest races in the show. I think they would have done it either way, I don't think Jonas would have saved the Asguard. Even if they had that seed, they could have brought him back and had him finish it if they thought it was that important. Also, just because his DNA is more advanced than the average human does not nessecarily mean that it would have been of any use to the Asguard.

However it is a good idea, and I wish Jonas had saved the Asguard, they were awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Khentkawes View Post
                  I don't know. It's possible, I guess, but it sounds like a bit of a stretch to me. I got the impression that the writers never quite knew what to do with Jonas, and the fact that Nirrit said he was "special" or "advanced" or whatever was just another example of that. It seemed like they were trying to make his character more interesting and complex, but they didn't seem to know what to do with that element of his character (although, I guess it's possible that they would have followed up on it if Jonas had been on the show for another season). I also wondered if it was an attempt to make Jonas' extraordinary memory more plausible. All season he mentions how he's a "quick study," which could be explained by his physiological differences.
                  aye, tidbits of info probably weren't meant for the show plot line though but more for fans of . on the other hand there are several plot seeds they planted but never nourished for the show and this could be an excellent example of that!

Comment

Originally posted by Death Jester View Post
                    Hmm, interesting theory. I'm not sure if I see it though - I always got the impression that the reason they said Jonas was 'special' was to explain why he could step in for Daniel so quickly and easily.
                    I think you are right about Jonas, but I love the idea of the post. Would have been cool, although I would hate for the Asgard just to become advanced humans/ancients.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AndyJ View Post

What do people think?
                      it was never thought of

the fans have been speculating years that jonas held the key to saving the asgad but it never happen
                      https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Haven't thought of that but I do hope it was true. However, IMO, one of the reasons they killed the Asgard might because they want to shift the storyline from the Gou'ald and introduce Ori as a new enemy to the Earth in order to keep the storyline going to Season 9 and 10.
                        sigpic
                        Sign by me

Comment

Originally posted by Dinoman View Post
                          Haven't thought of that but I do hope it was true. However, IMO, one of the reasons they killed the Asgard might because they want to shift the storyline from the Gou'ald and introduce Ori as a new enemy to the Earth in order to keep the storyline going to Season 9 and 10.
                          I'm not entirely sure why you think killing the Asgard would help shift the focus to the Ori. Especially since the Asgard weren't killed until the very last episode of the series (the end of season 10), long after the Ori were introduced. But maybe I'm just not understanding your point.
                          Chief of the GGP (Gateworld Grammar Police). Punctuation is your friend. Use it!

Great happy armies shall be gathered and trained to oppose all who embrace doubt. In the name of Hope, ships shall be built to carry our disciples out amongst the stars, and we will spread Optimism to all the doubters. The power of the Optimi will be felt far and wide, and the pessimists shall become positive-thinkers.
                          Hallowed are the Optimi.

Comment

Originally posted by shinysign View Post
                            I think personally it is a shame that they killed off the Asguard, they were one of the coolest races in the show. I think they would have done it either way, I don't think Jonas would have saved the Asguard. Even if they had that seed, they could have brought him back and had him finish it if they thought it was that important. Also, just because his DNA is more advanced than the average human does not nessecarily mean that it would have been of any use to the Asguard.

However it is a good idea, and I wish Jonas had saved the Asguard, they were awesome.
                            In SGA's season 5 the Asgard return, well not the Asgard we knew in SG1. There is a reason why the writers put them back into the mix.
                            Save SGA!

Comment

Better spoiler that, Thor. A lot of people haven't seen season 5 yet, I think...

Comment

Working...
                              X