This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Challenge...

It came up in discussion that there has been very little real discussion of episodes lately. There is a lot of picking apart of characters, and disagreement over production decisions, but we seem to be getting away from the things we love--the episodes, the stories, the team...

Now, I know we're watching them. People say so in the 'What Stargate Episode Did You Watch Today' thread, but we're not really talking about it, not in any depth.

So! I propose a challenge. Watch any episode from any season (actually watch it with this in mind, don't remember it) and post a detailed analysis in the episode thread. Then post the link here to 'claim' it and to provide a handy link to your analysis. All discussion following your post should take place in the episode thread, not here.

Once an episode link has been posted here, it is out of bounds (at least until all other episodes have received similar analysis--and that will be a while).

What do I mean by detailed analysis? I want some real thought about what you liked about the episode and why. How did the characters grow and change? How did it affect the team dynamic, or relations between individual characters? What did we learn, and does it have an impact on future events? How does it relate to past episodes? Did it leave you with any questions? That sort of thing...

I don't mean that to be a guideline. It's just what I came up with off the top of my head. You can think of your own important questions.

Have at it, and let's get some real discussion going about all these great episodes!

A Summary (our posts thus far):
    The Other Side- http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...88#post9819188
    Learning Curve- http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...53#post9838253
    Entity- http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...07#post9852907
    The Shroud- http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...92#post9872092
    2001- http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...56#post9877556
    Full Circle- http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...98#post9939898

Also, a different kind of analysis by YodaMate-very interesting!:
    http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=56176
    Last edited by amconway; 29 March 2009, 11:26 AM.

i think this is a really good idea it will flex my analytical muscles too because i take media but i haven't had to analyse anything recently im in the middle of a sg-1 marathon so the next episode i watch will be the one i do.

Comment

i think this is a really good idea it will flex my analytical muscles too because i take media but i haven't had to analyse anything recently im in the middle of a sg-1 marathon so the next episode i watch will be the one i do.
      Awesome! I was beginning to think that no one was interested. I'm finishing some other writing at the moment, but I'm going to have mine up in a few days... Can't wait to see which you choose!

Comment

yeah im going to one either tomorrow or wednsday...i just need time to write the thing which is hard with midterms coming up...do i have one tomorrow??ah crap....

Comment

yeah im going to one either tomorrow or wednsday...i just need time to write the thing which is hard with midterms coming up...do i have one tomorrow??ah crap....
          Take your time... Better that you have time to watch an episode and really think about it than that you get something done quickly. I'd be surprised if anyone could do this really quickly.

Comment

What??! You mean you want us to actually analyze something? Like, in-depth? with details and examples and explanations... and complex sentences... and thoughtful points?

Are you crazy? We don't do that here!
            well, actually, some of us do. It's just takes a while to find the real discussion threads that actually engage in detailed analysis

Actually, in all seriousness (well, okay, partial seriousness ), I can see the thoughtful analysis part. The part I'm having a hard time with is that you expect us to find time to actually watch the episodes. Really? I could deal with the analysis (although it's dangerously close to college-work for me), but it's the watching I can't find time for.

Okay, now that I'm done making stupid jokes, I really do think it's a great idea. I'll try to join in when I find time... which might not be until the end of March (or at some yet to be determined point in the future when I finally finish this stupid degree ).
            Chief of the GGP (Gateworld Grammar Police). Punctuation is your friend. Use it!

Great happy armies shall be gathered and trained to oppose all who embrace doubt. In the name of Hope, ships shall be built to carry our disciples out amongst the stars, and we will spread Optimism to all the doubters. The power of the Optimi will be felt far and wide, and the pessimists shall become positive-thinkers.
            Hallowed are the Optimi.

Comment

I'll try to join in when I find time... which might not be until the end of March (or at some yet to be determined point in the future when I finally finish this stupid degree
              Really? We have to wait until you finish your degree? Uh... Be a while, then? Kidding! I'm sure you can just whip off that degree and have at it.

I can't wait to see what you come up with. You do some very interesting analysis in threads that don't lend themselves to that kind of thought at all.
              I look forward to it!

Are you crazy? We don't do that here!
              well, actually, some of us do. It's just takes a while to find the real discussion threads that actually engage in detailed analysis
              Psst. Where are they?

Comment

Originally posted by amconway View Post
                Really? We have to wait until you finish your degree? Uh... Be a while, then? Kidding! I'm sure you can just whip off that degree and have at it.
                Lol. Oh, yeah... it'll definitely be a while! But, no you probably won't have to wait that long. I'll probably use this as another procrastination tool and simply fail to finish my homework. Who needs a college degree, right?

Psst. Where are they?
                Shhh... it's a secret! They're hidden. Usually in re-watch threads, often carefully hidden on page 8 of the C&R forum and carefully disguised to avoid detection.
                Chief of the GGP (Gateworld Grammar Police). Punctuation is your friend. Use it!

Great happy armies shall be gathered and trained to oppose all who embrace doubt. In the name of Hope, ships shall be built to carry our disciples out amongst the stars, and we will spread Optimism to all the doubters. The power of the Optimi will be felt far and wide, and the pessimists shall become positive-thinkers.
                Hallowed are the Optimi.

Comment

[QUOTE=Khentkawes;9802592]Lol. Oh, yeah... it'll definitely be a while! But, no you probably won't have to wait that long. I'll probably use this as another procrastination tool and simply fail to finish my homework. Who needs a college degree, right?QUOTE]

well im with u. im probably going to use this a procrastination method instead of studying for midterms...which i forget when mine are...which is not a good thing cuz i know its soon.....ah oh well lol
                  im doing mine during the weekend hopefully

Comment

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...88#post9819188

i didn't have time to go into any more depth than that because of damn college but i hope it sets of a reaction of re-igniting discussions about episodes.

Comment

Interesting idea. My offering is season 3's Learning Curve:

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...53#post9838253

sigpic

Comment

Our first answer to the challenge! Yay! Off to read, and a green to you for being the first, Evenstar!
                        -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Whoops!! My bad! I thought Evenstar was the first, but not so! The honor goes to you, Butlersgate! Green! And college is a good thing--it's understood that it keeps you busy. Off to read now!
                        Last edited by amconway; 02 March 2009, 09:34 PM.

Comment

Our first answer to the challenge! Yay! Off to read, and a green to you for being the first!
                          But....Butlersgate was the first....

I went ahead and greened him, it's only fair.

sigpic

Comment

I saw that after I greened you, so I greened Butlersgate, too.
                            That worked out nicely, didn't it, Butlersgate?

I'm very pleased with both answers to the challenge and enjoyed them very much. This is working out excellently!

Comment

<cough> how in-depth analysis were you after ? http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=56176

Comment

Working...
                              X