Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anti-S9 thread. For complaints and misgivings ONLY.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MagnoliaAnaglypta
    I agree with all of this, Jace. I am trying to maintain a flexible attitude towards Season 9, and I like the idea of two new characters coming in under certain conditions as I think the show has become dreadfully stale and repetitive and could do with being shaken up a bit.
    My opinion on the matter at present is that unless they do something to improve the quality of the writing and the consistency of the storytelling, and unless they start making better use of the assets they already have instead of depending on their shiny new ones, season 9 will be a disaster. I really hope it isn't but in the last couple of years the writers on this show have completely underwhelmed me with their lack of ability to take advantage of the potential of their own storylines. The production team HAVE become hidebound, and self-indulgent, and it's time that someone took them in hand and reminded them that they're making an expensive science fiction show for the pleasure of the viewing public, not a cool home movie for they themselves to giggle over.
    That's how I felt about Prometheus Unbound... I couldn't see the point of the episode. The premise was great but the execution seemed self-indulgent. It ended up being a cheeky Vala/Daniel vehicle. I do worry from time to time about SG-1 turning into a caricature of itself... this episode certainly didn't help to allay those fears.
    sigpic
    "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Comment

Personally, I could careless whether BB takes the lead of the show at the expense of the existing cast members. I could careless if Carter gets demoted for Ben like some people seem to be 'sweating over'. As long as the show remains interesting and entertaining- they can do what they like.
      As it is now, the present crew running the show behind the camera have reached their used by date. You can HEAR it when you listen to some of the commentary on the DVDS and the sheer self indulgeance going on by certain members of the crew.
      If they don't get new writers who WONT be VETOED by the er....creative consultants ...as everyone seems to become after a season or two as anyone on the crew, then it'll be just as bad as the drivel we've seen so far in season eight.

Comment

Why is it when writers have a good thing going, they go and warp it up by adding characters where they don't need them?

I mean, if RDA is leaving, they show will pretty much be a lamed lion. With AT in like half the S9 episodes, we'll just have MS and CJ and two people that some of us don't really know, and they're not really a team yet. Team building and character building takes time.

I'm just curious, is there anyone here who is tentative at new characters ... especially if the show they were previously on was ... in their opinon ... boring?
        TEAM SG1 LIVES

Comment

*puts hand up* though 'the writers seemed like they were off thier heads on something' is a more accurate description of my take on Farscape!
          I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt G
            *puts hand up* though 'the writers seemed like they were off thier heads on something' is a more accurate description of my take on Farscape!
            Maybe a couple of actors aren't the ONLY things being "shared" from the Farscape camp.

Comment

Originally posted by Osiris-RA
              Why is it when writers have a good thing going, they go and warp it up by adding characters where they don't need them?

I mean, if RDA is leaving, they show will pretty much be a lamed lion. With AT in like half the S9 episodes, we'll just have MS and CJ and two people that some of us don't really know, and they're not really a team yet. Team building and character building takes time.

I'm just curious, is there anyone here who is tentative at new characters ... especially if the show they were previously on was ... in their opinon ... boring?

AT is not going to be in half of the episodes. She's doing 15 out of 20. That's only 5 episodes she's missing.

Am I tentative about new characters? Of course, but it has nothing to do with Farscape. The only bearing Farscape has to do with this is that it gave me a chance to see BB and CB act, and made me not tentative about these actors. I'm tentative because of the writers and what they will write for the characters (well, mostly BB since I haven't seen his character.) And, that would hold true if the actors came from the best show on tv (and, I did like Farscape). Conversely, if BB and CB still had the talent they have (imo, of course) and I had a better opinion of the writing for Stargate, it wouldn't matter if their last show had been "Scooby Doo's Hot Tub Party."
              I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Originally posted by Osiris-RA
                I agree with that. It's like the expression I heard when I was little. "Your eyes are bigger than your belly."

They've already got lots of cool charcters and could tried to put on of them in more of season 9. There are many charcters that were made but never explored or just forgot about. I found that such a bummer.

Janna Galaxy
                Janna Galaxy, Queen of The Gods
                The Strongest Will Survive!
                I'll Be The One To Save Us All!

Comment

I have been in the middle during most of S8, neither being for or against S9. But seeing now how poorly the writing has been in S8 (especially after Threads) I really wished there would be no S9. It's a sgame that SG-1 has turned into a "it used to be a great show." S6 was the last great season in my opinion, S7 was horrible. S8 started out pretty good, but quickly sank. Now that Atlantis is doing great TPTB should just cancel SG-1, and focus on Atlantis. Of course they won't because it's making them lots of $$$$.

Comment

Oh thank goodness.

I am not alone in my dislike of the current path in which Stargate: SG-1 has been going.

I knew something was wrong the minute I started looking more forward to Atlantis.

Aurg.

Where's my team? Where's my kick-ass Sam? Where's my Daniel/Jack Friendshippy goodness? Actually, where's my Sam/Jack/Daniel/Teal'C friendshippy goodness?

I pray that Season 9 will blow me out of the water and show me that my fear was displaced.

However, probably not.
                    *Insert something really cool here*

Comment

I disagree. I think they should change focus with Season 9 though. I would love to see the writers explore the history of the ancients, furlings, nox, asguard etc rather than introduce one boring gould baddie after another. SG-1 has at present, lost the spirit of exploration that it had in the first few seasons.

Climate Change - The latest news and information on climate change, alternative energy, global warming and energy efficiency from around the internet

Climate Change Forum - Discuss topics to do with climate change, alternative energy, global warming and energy efficiency

Comment

Originally posted by kashi
                        I disagree. I think they should change focus with Season 9 though. I would love to see the writers explore the history of the ancients, furlings, nox, asguard etc rather than introduce one boring gould baddie after another. SG-1 has at present, lost the spirit of exploration that it had in the first few seasons.
                        EXACTLY!!! The show is lacking the exploration factor bigtime! They dont need to change everything just get back to writing those stories that instill wonderment like they used too. new cultures, new technolgies, strange enviroments.. the Stargate I love!! Personally I hope They Take this series as far as they can. It's still very good, just fallen off track a little.
                        Also Known as Madigan
                        Author, Project Leader and World Designer,
                        The Road to Allysium

Comment

I know this has been asked before in many different ways, but I just want to lay it all out on the table and just flat-out ask...

If you don't want a Season 9, then why do you not simply choose to stop watching? In fact, you could pretend SG-1 was cancelled whenever you want! If you think the show should have ended in season 4, then only watch up til Season Four! Hell, if you have a good enough imagination you could even skip seasons, or even *gasp* not watch episodes you don't like! What a thought!!

Why try to ruin it for those of us still enjoying the show?

Comment

Originally posted by Jonas Quinn
                            I know this has been asked before in many different ways, but I just want to lay it all out on the table and just flat-out ask...

If you don't want a Season 9, then why do you not simply choose to stop watching? In fact, you could pretend SG-1 was cancelled whenever you want! If you think the show should have ended in season 4, then only watch up til Season Four! Hell, if you have a good enough imagination you could even skip seasons, or even *gasp* not watch episodes you don't like! What a thought!!

Why try to ruin it for those of us still enjoying the show?
                            Agreed! im "Ancient"ly awaiting many more seasons to come. and the new cast members are great picks.
                            Also Known as Madigan
                            Author, Project Leader and World Designer,
                            The Road to Allysium

Comment

Excuse me, but the last time I checked this was the ANTI season 9 thread. If you want to rhapsodize andbout how wonderful the show is gonna be, go dig up the PRO season 9 thread. It's quite clearly stated in the first post of this thread that we're here to commisserate on what we see as an abject failure on the part of the show. Defending our viewpoint is NOT the purpose any more than shippers are expected to explain to everyone why THEY like Sam and Jack when they're posting on their own thread!

And no one is forcing you to read this thread. If you don't like what's being said, why don't YOU go away instead of telling US to?

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                                Excuse me, but the last time I checked this was the ANTI season 9 thread. If you want to rhapsodize andbout how wonderful the show is gonna be, go dig up the PRO season 9 thread. It's quite clearly stated in the first post of this thread that we're here to commisserate on what we see as an abject failure on the part of the show. Defending our viewpoint is NOT the purpose any more than shippers are expected to explain to everyone why THEY like Sam and Jack when they're posting on their own thread!

And no one is forcing you to read this thread. If you don't like what's being said, why don't YOU go away instead of telling US to?
                                If you had actually read what I had posted you would find that I never "rhapsodized" about how great the show is gonna be...in fact, you'd have no way of knowing how I felt about season 9 from what I said. I simply asked why you all can't leave Stargate be for those who like it.

Take the show "Enterprise" for example. I love Star Trek. I had such high hopes for Enterprise and my hopes were crushed. Enterprise was a big letdown for be, but did I call for its cancellation? NO! I simply stopped watching. I know that a lot of people (including my friends) really enjoyed the show and I wouldn't want the show to be cancelled because they like it. When it was cancelled I was honestly sad because they lost something they really enjoyed.

I know you've already said you're not watching Season 9, ShadowMaat, but why can't you "not watch it" quietly? Why do you have to lead a charge against it? If you don't watch it, what does it matter that other people do?

I'm not so selfish and arrogant to assume that if I don't like something, it must be garbage and thrown out.

Comment

Working...
                                X