This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Red Sky/48 Hours

How come when the wormhole to the planet is red sky is stopped the theory is that whatevers in the wormhole will stop and return to normal space, yet when the gate is hit by Tanith's(?) ship and the wormhole collapses, Teal'c is stuck in the SGC Gate?

Lots of holes in that one and also rases more about what happens if you walk into the receiving gates event horizon...

yeh that explanation in red sky never made much sense to me either
    The BC-304... Just Try And Stop Us Now!

sigpic

Comment

from what i understand about the question is....i thought the wormhole was goin through the sun and they had to over right some of the protocols in order to dial the planet in the red sky episode....and i thought the reason why teal'c was stuck in the gate was because they didnt have a DHD and they had to get the Russians one cause something to do with power or something that they didnt have...so they had to get the the Russians DHD

Comment

The way I understand it is that if the gate you're coming from get shut down you continue on to you're destination gate. But if both gates get shut down then you return to normal space.

Sorry, that probably didn't make too much sense.

Gate Rider AKA Abnormal on the Sanctuary fan forums.
        Fencers of GW Unite!

Comment

No what happens is if the gate is destroyed, then matter is reintegrated on the other side if there is a DHD. (if there's no DHD then exactly what happened in 48 hours)
          What happened in the red sky, is when both gates are shut down, then the traveller (person or thing) is reintegrated into it's base elements in space, but because in red sky, they were sending a base element through, so it just reintegrated into it's self (because its a base element)

Comment

Originally posted by Trig View Post
            How come when the wormhole to the planet is red sky is stopped the theory is that whatevers in the wormhole will stop and return to normal space, yet when the gate is hit by Tanith's(?) ship and the wormhole collapses, Teal'c is stuck in the SGC Gate?

Lots of holes in that one and also rases more about what happens if you walk into the receiving gates event horizon...
            in red sky the wormhole is stopped with matter in transit, which resulted in the matter appearing in normal space, in 48 hours teal'c was in the buffer when the wormhole closed, transit was complete, so when it closed, he was stuck in the wormhole.

He's a question thought. in red sky, how did the wormhole shut down with matter en route? in 48 hours it is established that if the dialing gate loses power the recieve gate will provide power maintaining the connection and allowing the traveller to complete his journey. the only way i can think of to "shut down" the stargate, is to stop the flow of power, surely the gate on the othersie would have supplied the power and allowed the super heavy element to complete its transit.
            People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint... it happens to kinda look like the name 'Jeremy Bearimy' in cursive English.

Comment

The whole premise to Red Sky is terrible. Wormholes don't actually pass through space, they join two areas of spacetime directly.

I hate Red Sky.

The science in 48 hours makes more sense, in that Teal'c's data just can't be reconstituted at the event horizon. He's already made it to Earth's stargate, in a sense. Which is exactly what a wormhole does- goes from one event horizon to the other with no intervening space.

Well, that's my amateur physicists' take on it, anyway.

Comment

I think it's because in Red Sky, the wormhole disconnected while the matter was mid-stream and was discharged into the planet's sun where as in 48 Hours Teal'c reached earth's 'gate and was stored in the buffer, he wasn't placed anywhere else mid-stream. If Tanith's ship had hit the gate any sooner we probably would've lost Teal'c.

(Credit to RepliCartertje for the beautiful sig and to Mala for smilies.)

Comment

Originally posted by VSS View Post
                  The whole premise to Red Sky is terrible. Wormholes don't actually pass through space, they join two areas of spacetime directly.

I hate Red Sky.

The science in 48 hours makes more sense, in that Teal'c's data just can't be reconstituted at the event horizon. He's already made it to Earth's stargate, in a sense. Which is exactly what a wormhole does- goes from one event horizon to the other with no intervening space.

Well, that's my amateur physicists' take on it, anyway.
                  It's not directly, but rather through subspace/"outside of our dimension"

See Image
                  http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...e_Wormhole.jpg

so i suppose it is possible that when a stargate shuts down any thing in that subspace tunnel gets chucked out into normal space.
                  People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint... it happens to kinda look like the name 'Jeremy Bearimy' in cursive English.

Comment

In my opinion you're not traveling trough wormhole your self, only your data travels from 1 gate to another. (as happend with tealc) data was transfered, and from that data tealc was reintegrated later.

And yes, I was quite surprised by the explanation in red sky, because it did not make any sence at all.
                    The cake is a lie...

Comment

Originally posted by stargatefan234 View Post
                      It's not directly, but rather through subspace/"outside of our dimension"

See Image
                      http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...e_Wormhole.jpg

so i suppose it is possible that when a stargate shuts down any thing in that subspace tunnel gets chucked out into normal space.
                      Well, that's one definition which is by no means the only one. Still, even using that definition there isn't anything in subspace or outside of our dimension that we would be able to see- like a sun, for instance. The sun in Red Sky most certainly is in real space and in our dimension.

Comment

Hmm thats really odd we've seen stargates been destroyed with matter en route to the other planet(normally earth) and the other stargate doesn't shut down I can't remember a particular episode where this happened but i swear this has happened before.
                        Tst

Comment

Working...
                        X