Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exactly. You took that "young" statement literally. It was meant to say that the taur'i are technologically young.
    -"Indeed"

Comment

No. Not technologically anyway.
      -"Indeed"

Comment

Originally posted by NoobTau'ri View Post
        This is exactly my point. They used the word "young" when they should have used "primitive" instead. Why? Because the Tau'ri and the Tollan are exactly as old in terms of antiquity with the Tollan being originally from Earth. So the word "young" is inadequate. The words "young" and "old" refer to age and not to advancement. They should have used the words "primitve" and "evolved" instead.
        maybe in a literal sense but the word young can often be attributed to ones state of mind and I believe that is what the Nox mean. We are young in that we do not yet think as the nox, and Tollen were much closer to thinking as they do, therefor I do not believe they saw them as young as they agreed to let them relocate to their world for a time. The words you suggest do attribute to technological advancement yes but not to mental or emotional advancement.
        BRING BACK THE REAL ATLANTIS

Comment

I don't know much about the actual meaning behind the "young versus old" or "primitive versus evolved" debate here.

But I do know that many of the "advanced" races in Stargate were intentionally designed to seem overconfident and kind of arrogant- and this is a perfect example.

As the Asgard learn, you cannot be a utopian peoples in a universe full of dystopian people. Humans are not to the utopian point of the "advanced" races, but we are a good race at heart. The Asgard quickly learn that they need us to fight for them when they are no longer willing to fight.

Comment

Originally posted by boxvic View Post
            I don't know much about the actual meaning behind the "young versus old" or "primitive versus evolved" debate here.

But I do know that many of the "advanced" races in Stargate were intentionally designed to seem overconfident and kind of arrogant- and this is a perfect example.

As the Asgard learn, you cannot be a utopian peoples in a universe full of dystopian people. Humans are not to the utopian point of the "advanced" races, but we are a good race at heart. The Asgard quickly learn that they need us to fight for them when they are no longer willing to fight.
            Are you positive they were designed this way? or perhaps they were meant to put forth the question of whether or not our way WAS the only and right way. IMO I dont see the nox or Tollen for that matter as arrogant. Just more Open in their mindset, definetly more technologically and MENTALLY advanced.

Not all humans are good at heart and it is a falicy to suggest that All humans as a race are. The asgard ask for our help not because they are unwilling to fight but because all of their stratagies prove to ineffectual. We are evolutionary below the asgard so our ideas might prove useful against those more advanced, that is why they ask for our help.

Comment

Originally posted by Chezlee View Post
              IMO I dont see the nox or Tollen for that matter as arrogant. Just more Open in their mindset, definetly more technologically and MENTALLY advanced.
              I agree - I do not think the Nox or Tollen were arrogant. They were trying to protect humans from the dangers we could inflict on ourselves. What's to say the SGC or US wouldn't use the technology to conquer? For the Tollen, as Narim told Sam, they gave technology to the people of Sarita (for protection only) and they used it against their own people and destroyed their world.

However, our way is not the only way, but it is a way. Sometimes it is necessary to fight. (Seriously, do you ever see Apophis sitting calmly with SG1 to discuss returning Shar'e?) The problem the Tollen had is that it was the first option, not the last.
              I GoodSearch for the Michael J Fox Foundation for Parkinsons Research
              Raise money for your favorite charity - www.goodsearch.com - powered by Yahoo!

Comment

Originally posted by wolverine_nl View Post
                It is never said that the Tollan were once enslaved by the Goauld, we were, the Tollan like other races that were not distributed by the Goauld, were seeded there by the ancients.
                Some human societies were from Earth, but not all of them.
                True
                sigpic
                Knowledge is power, but how do you use that power defines whether you are good or evil

Comment

Originally posted by Mickey23 View Post
                  The problem the Tollen had is that it was the first option, not the last.
                  True, we do have a tendency to go a 'guns blaizing' first before looking at other options.

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                    True, we do have a tendency to go a 'guns blaizing' first before looking at other options.
                    And that is the main problem the nox had with us. We wouldn't even consider another option.

Comment

It seems like the could have gone a lot deeper with the plot line of the Nox. i do think they should show up in Atlantis. so many questions seemed unanswered in SG-1. For example: was their neutrality due to a belief system or was caused by a mistake they made in the past, much like the Tollan? that could've explained why the Tollan and the Nox were on good terms with each other, because the Nox could sympathize with them. Also how advanced was their technology? was their ability to make things invisible natural, or do to some sort of genetic engineering? did the learn their healing ability from the Ancients or the other way around? I think they could have shown some Nox politics as well, i mean it must've been hard staying neutral while everyone around you was under attack. does anyone else agree with me?
                      Vice Admiral and occasionally the Acting Leader of the Gateworld Cantina
                      sigpic

Comment

Eh. I don't really care that the Nox story was left the way it was. I think they explored it to enough depth that it was interesting, but left enough open to the imagination for us to fill in the blanks.

I think that as fans, we don't really need expository stories. There's something to be said for letting us fill in the blanks.
                        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

yeah but that leads to mass-debates(funny if you say it fast). for example, the furlings, there's a huge debate on if the crystral skull aliens or the spirit aliens were them. it gets a little annoying when that happens
                          Vice Admiral and occasionally the Acting Leader of the Gateworld Cantina
                          sigpic

Comment

Yeah, but I think it's more interesting that way. If take part in said discussions, you get to see a lot of well-reasoned arguments why things are a certain way.

If you don't partake in those discussions, you draw the conclusion that's most satisfying to you anyway. Win-win.
                            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

The Nox were interesting* but would they really have a logical reason to be brought up in Atlantis?

"Hello young humans living in Atlantis. We're on our vacation and were in the area and thought we'd stop by. Do you have any important questions about our technology/culture/politics that you'd like to ask?"

*What else would you call someone who used moss for a hat but was technologically advanced enough to build a floating, cloaked city and revive the dead?
                              Last edited by Jeffala; 31 January 2008, 06:06 PM.

Comment

I like the Nox... hence the fact why I include them in my third movie ideas and hypothetical seasons of SG-1 haha. I'd love to revisit them... provided they lost the fairy clothes.
                                Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                                Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Working...
                                X