Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wonder. The Nox rejected getting into an alliance with us because we're "young", and yet they had no problem getting into an alliance with the Tollan. The thing is, the Tollan are exactly as old as we are, being originally from Earth. They are far considerably more technologically advanced, but not older. Going by age of the species, they should have rejected the Tollan too. This leads me to think that the criteria that the Asgard/Nox and other members of the Alliance Of great Races use to determine whether a civilization is fit to join them or not is not antiquity, but advancement. A civilization that had existed for a billion years and yet only managed to have an Earth level of technology would be regarded by them as "young", whereas a civilization with a few thousand years with Tollan+ level of technology would be regarded by them as "old" and fit to join. What do you guys think?

Comment

Originally posted by NoobTau'ri View Post
      I wonder. The Nox rejected getting into an alliance with us because we're "young", and yet they had no problem getting into an alliance with the Tollan. The thing is, the Tollan are exactly as old as we are, being originally from Earth. They are far considerably more technologically advanced, but not older. Going by age of the species, they should have rejected the Tollan too. This leads me to think that the criteria that the Asgard/Nox and other members of the Alliance Of great Races use to determine whether a civilization is fit to join them or not is not antiquity, but advancement. A civilization that had existed for a billion years and yet only managed to have an Earth level of technology would be regarded by them as "young", whereas a civilization with a few thousand years with Tollan+ level of technology would be regarded by them as "old" and fit to join. What do you guys think?
      It is never said that the Tollan were once enslaved by the Goauld, we were, the Tollan like other races that were not distributed by the Goauld, were seeded there by the ancients.
      Some human societies were from Earth, but not all of them.

Comment

The 'young' statement is nothing to do with age, it's a reference to our development, probably culturally more than technologically.

Comment

they didn't mean young as age... they meant it as technological advancement and mentality in regards to their people. and how few years the tau'ri has been back in the scene. The tau'ri are still at war with each other lol.. and its technically only the SGC that are heading out to the other planets meeting everyone.

So they were justified in their thoughts with their alliances.

Comment

Originally posted by The-rage View Post
            they didn't mean young as age... they meant it as technological advancement and mentality in regards to their people. and how few years the tau'ri has been back in the scene. The tau'ri are still at war with each other lol.. and its technically only the SGC that are heading out to the other planets meeting everyone.

So they were justified in their thoughts with their alliances.
            This is exactly my point. They used the word "young" when they should have used "primitive" instead. Why? Because the Tau'ri and the Tollan are exactly as old in terms of antiquity with the Tollan being originally from Earth. So the word "young" is inadequate. The words "young" and "old" refer to age and not to advancement. They should have used the words "primitve" and "evolved" instead.

Comment

It was a metaphor. He was comparing them to the child Nox. 'The very young do not always do as they are told'
              Last edited by Dobberman; 19 January 2008, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dobberman View Post
                It was a metaphor. He was comparing them to the child Nox. 'The very young do not always do as they are told'
                Exactly
                Vote Anubis for President in 2012
                A Face you Can Trust
                sigpic
                So whats the worst that could happen?
                Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign
                It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

Comment

its kind of offensive to call a race primative...the asgard called us young to..they mean technologically

*-*Superman*-*
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Superman195 View Post
                    its kind of offensive to call a race primative...the asgard called us young to..they mean technologically

*-*Superman*-*
                    I think technology wasn't really the issue (maybe a little bit) but I think it was more about our policy on life and how to use power that we have.

So when the Nox saw us they saw a primitive race that was still at war with one another on our own planet instead of coming together as a people who would become stronger from our shared intrestes instead of our petty differences.
                    Vote Anubis for President in 2012
                    A Face you Can Trust
                    sigpic
                    So whats the worst that could happen?
                    Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign
                    It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

Comment

they explain it when the tollan start calling them primative when daniel is up on the top of the mountain with.... cant remember the tollan he was with but he called them primative and he said the nox called them young and it was a much nicer statement.

same meaning just the nox were polite about it

Comment

This is exactly my point. They used the word "young" when they should have used "primitive" instead. Why? Because the Tau'ri and the Tollan are exactly as old in terms of antiquity with the Tollan being originally from Earth. So the word "young" is inadequate. The words "young" and "old" refer to age and not to advancement. They should have used the words "primitve" and "evolved" instead.
                        They'd only just learned the language.

Comment

Originally posted by Ebeneezer_Goode View Post
                          The 'young' statement is nothing to do with age, it's a reference to our development, probably culturally more than technologically.
                          That's true
                          sigpic
                          Knowledge is power, but how do you use that power defines whether you are good or evil

Comment

I think the one Daniel talked to was Omoc/Omoc.

http://www.gateworld.net/omnipedia/index.shtml

Comment

The term young doesn't refer to age in this context and IMO neither does it refer to technological advancement. If you look at the Nox's lifestyle it's quite illogical that they see technological advancement as a measure of being worth of their friendship. It's rather mentality and the value system. They are a peaceful race. They live in harmony with nature and view fighting as a childish behaviour. The Tollan's way of life was much closer to their's that's why they befriended with them.

Comment

I've always felt that the term "young" should be taken to mean mental maturity rather than physical age. The Nox saw SG-1, and by association humans, as immature because of their willingness to resort to violence to resolve problems.

The Tollen, because of their refusal to pass on technology on to other races and their non violent unless attacked stance would be seen by the Nox as a more mature, and therefore less "young" race.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X