Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Judging on what weve accomplished both in Atlantis and SG-1, do we believe we have learnt the only lesson the NoX have ever introduced us to?
    haha please

Comment

We're learning, and we accept that the Nox and other races have different views.

We're different than them and so will never "learn" to be like them, not how we are.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Spimman View Post
        We're learning, and we accept that the Nox and other races have different views.

We're different than them and so will never "learn" to be like them, not how we are.
        The very young do not always do as they are told.

Comment

Originally posted by Ksya View Post
          The very young do not always do as they are told.
          And the very old are sometimes jerks.

"I have to buy a single piece of fruit with a coupon and then return it. Making people wait behind me while I complain."
          "Enemies of the Ori show no mercy in their attempts to draw believers away from the path."
          "Those who abandon the path are evil."
          "Hallowed are the Ori!"

"Individuals who point the finger and assign blame based on nothing more than their gut instinct are ignorant at best, cretins at worst." -- Joseph Mallozzi

Comment

Originally posted by The Mastage Kidd View Post
            Am I the only one who thinks that maybe the lesson of the Nox isn't worth learning?

If we had done things the Nox way the Goa'uld would still be in charge, the Jaffa still enslaved. In fact, in "The Road Not Taken" we met a world doing things the Nox way, and it was shown explicitly as the wrong way to do things.

The Nox always struck me as cowards more than just pacifists. They have the technology to stop the Goa'uld for thousands of years and do nothing. They claim "free will" as the reason they don't step in even though the Goa'uld are subverting the free will of millions.

(I don't feel this way about the ancients because they had a perfect example of why not to in the ori, and had problems of their own.)
            You bring up a good point in that, had Earth done things the Nox's way, then lots of good would never have been done.

While I wouldn't go as far as to call the Nox cowards, I sometimes questioned why they did things the way they did. For example, it's very easy for them to sit there and be pacifists when they know full well that few (if any) races could really do anything to harm them.

It makes me wonder what their history was like. If they were relatively isolated for thousands of years and left to advance of their own accord, then of course they'd be able to adopt the mentality they have. They are, after all, seemingly many many years ahead of the races that are currently struggling in the galaxy.

To answer the topic's question: Humans have certainly not learned the Nox's way of doing things, and wouldn't be able to do so even if we wanted to, given the hostility of the galaxy we live in.

[Edit] I wanted to add that I always prefered the way the Asgard did things. Now, I'm still in the process of finishing watching Seasons 6-8, but from what I've seen the Asgard generally seem to act as peacekeepers.

Spoilers just in case...

Spoiler:

Like when Cimmeria was invaded by the Goa'uld, Thor simply came and beamed the Goa'uld off the planet in response. Now, feel free to let me know if we ever find out exactly what the Asgard did to them after that, but I always liked to think they just brought them to some Goa'uld homeworld and dumped them off .
            Sig by Pandora's Box
            sigpic

Comment

dude that happened back in season 2. there's a time limit on how long something's a spoiler for. lol
              "Enemies of the Ori show no mercy in their attempts to draw believers away from the path."
              "Those who abandon the path are evil."
              "Hallowed are the Ori!"

"Individuals who point the finger and assign blame based on nothing more than their gut instinct are ignorant at best, cretins at worst." -- Joseph Mallozzi

Comment

Originally posted by Chevron 40 View Post
                In SG-1, season 1, we met the NoX for the first time, through the episode the NoX inform us about 3 times i believe, that "your way, is not the only way."

Judging on what weve accomplished both in Atlantis and SG-1, do we believe we have learnt the only lesson the NoX have ever introduced us to?

Can the NoX lesson only be 100% understood and be fulfilled when we have united the planet in the very evasive notion of "world peace" ?

But if we do ever find that elusive element, would we still be, in the eyes of Babylon 5, truly human?

C40
                IMO no Earth hasn't, but since the Nox's way doesn't always work unless your enemy is willing to be your friend and change their beliefs it may not be for everyone.
                IMO since groups of individuals like the Tauri are willing to put their necks on the line to free those who cannot free themselves we give the Nox the option to not use their powers to intervene.

TBH it would be great if everyone in the Universe was all friendly and just got along, but things just don't work out that way and since there's always someone with bigger guns and better shields, with an idea about how things should go down being a pacifist is as good as committing suicide especially if someone finds a way to see through your amazing cloaking abilities.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mastage Kidd View Post
                  dude that happened back in season 2. there's a time limit on how long something's a spoiler for. lol
                  Lol...good to know , although I guess that IS pretty obvious now that I think about it.
                  Sig by Pandora's Box
                  sigpic

Comment

Besides Asgards and Ancients, did The Nox ever get more Airtime? and why they never showed anything about the Furlings?

Favorite Characters:
                    Babylon 5: Londo Mollari, G'Kar
                    Farscape: Rygel, Zhaan
                    SG1: Jack O'Neill
                    SG-A: Rodney McKay

Favorite Shows In Order:
                    Stargate SG-1 | DS9 | Babylon 5 | Farscape | ST:VOY | Firefly |Stargate Universe | Stargate Atlantis | BSG

Comment

Originally posted by xcygon View Post
                      Besides Asgards and Ancients, did The Nox ever get more Airtime? and why they never showed anything about the Furlings?

The Nox made their appearance in a few episodes, though I don't believe any of them were after Season 4 (maybe even earlier). The furlings have never actually been seen, but some of their technology was a focus in an episode called "Paradise Lost".
                      Sig by Pandora's Box
                      sigpic

Comment

Yep, the Nox also appeared in "Enigma" (season 1) and "Pretense" (season 3). We've never heard of them afterwards.

Furlings were made fun of in "200" (season 10), but apart from this and PL, like Coronach mentioned, they've never made an appearance and remain a big mystery. As to why, it's even bigger mystery.
                        There's a good chance this opinion is shared by Ashizuri
                        sigpic
                        awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

Originally posted by col aga View Post
                          Furlings were made fun of in "200" (season 10), but apart from this and PL, like Coronach mentioned, they've never made an appearance and remain a big mystery. As to why, it's even bigger mystery.
                          Perhaps so that TPTB can milk the mystery for everything it's worth, before they someday reveal the Furlings, which might yet be a long way off.

My timeline of the Ancients here.

Comment

I think it's a bit like Maris Crane in Frasier...they intended to introduce her at some point, but the more they built it up, the more a real live actress would be a let-down.

Unless they can come up with something amazing, almost anything TPTB did with the Furlings would be a disappointment...

Comment

How can you hate the Nox?????
                              You are racist. Lol
                              They are just sweet, flowery, hippy, people
                              They just happen to go a few steps higher in life than most of the other races.
                              If I had a choice to be any of stargate races. It would have to be them.
                              The young hardly ever do as their told!
                              Ask the Nox

Comment

Think the Nox arn't well liked because they're not well understood.

You want to find them? Denied.

Assuming they let you find them, it will be on their terms and no other, because ultimately, what can you force them to do? Nothing.

What are ya going to do, threaten them? -poof- they're gone. And your standing there in the open with your mouth hanging open, looking like a fool.

They are so firmly in control of their own fate that you can't demand anything of them. That, is power in it's own right. It may not be one that people readily accept but when it comes to it, do you have a choice?

Comment

Working...
                                X