Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Journey through Stargate SG1 - episode by episode.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glad to see you're still sticking with it (and enjoying season 2). One of the things I like about these early episodes is that Carter is still proving herself, but I kinda get tired of people always punching down her technobabble. She's the Carter! Trust in the Carter, the Carter is good.

In 2.15 A Matter of Time, she had a great quote:
    "They don't really know what the hell's going on so they're just going to blow it up and there doesn't seem to be a damn thing I can do about it."

Of course, Jack had a good one, too:
    (to Hammond when he returns from flying to Washington and back, been gone 18 hours) "I thought you were on the phone"

Comment

Sorry for the late post, i've just been really busy the last week but I should be back on track

2.16: The Fifth Race

The juggernaut continues! I really can't imagine Season 2 for this series being surpassed in future seasons as it has just been so darn consistent with the good quality. Richard's performance in this one was spot on and as with some of the classic episodes, didn't need much action to do the story telling.

I suppose my only disappointment was O'Neill's memory loss at the end of the episode which effectively renders the event as never really happening since they no longer have the technology to unlock the eighth cheveron or any intel from the world O'Neill visited. If they pick up on this again, it will be interesting to see how they legitimately return to it all given that everything that took place within the episode was more or less a fluke.

The only other thing I didn't like was the talking grays. I have nothing against them having the ability to communicate, but the mouth-sync didn't do much for me. It would have been more interesting to maybe have the the voices inside O'Neill's head as a form of telepathy.

But all round, very strong.

4 out of 5

Comment

That does become an important episode in franchise mythology. I'll say that, and only that.
        If you've seen a Jeff O'Connor or a JeffZero or a Jeff Zero or a JeffZeroConnor elsewhere on the net, there's a considerable chance it's me.

Comment

You gave Bane 4.5 and The Fifth Race 4??? Outrageous! Just kidding

A lot of people dislike Bane for some reason, probably because of the nasty bug things, but I enjoyed that episode so its good to see someone else does too.
          sigpic

Comment

I like 'Bane', but I'd only give it like a 3. I'm also a tough critic, though, or so I like to think at least.
            If you've seen a Jeff O'Connor or a JeffZero or a Jeff Zero or a JeffZeroConnor elsewhere on the net, there's a considerable chance it's me.

Comment

Cool post. I'm actually watching SG-1 for the "first" time too. I caught episodes here and there but that was about it. I have the 1st series right now and so far have watched the pilot and episodes 1 and 2. I like following along with your reviews. Thanks!

Comment

2.17: Serpent's song

Ok, i'm clearly not understanding the series the way I should be. I just saw another perfect episode. This was brilliant - series defining brilliant. Season 2 cannot do any wrong. I can't even remember anything from season 1, it's just such a better show. The highlight of this episode would have to be Peter Williams performance of Apophis where he was experiencing the traumatic breakdown of his human body and host.

The story also brilliantly established a higher villain which will no doubt be picked up on in future seasons. The CGI was great, the tone, the mood - everything worked.

5 out of 5

Comment

Its generally accpeated then S2 outshines S1. As for Serphent's Song its been awhile but I remember it being a good and thought provoking episode
                  Originally posted by aretood2
                  Jelgate is right

Comment

The first season has a few absolutely amazing episodes, but it's surrounded by decent ones, subpar ones and a few in which personally I avoid like the plague whenever possible.

By contrast, even the very worst of the second season is somewhere in-between subpar and decent for me, and the very best makes me forget the first season ever even happened. Well, it would if the show wasn't so great about constantly connecting with itself at every turn!

Comment

I'm glad you're enjoying season 2 so much! Some of the season1-2 story arcs remain my favorite.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff O'Connor View Post
                        The first season has a few absolutely amazing episodes, but it's surrounded by decent ones, subpar ones and a few in which personally I avoid like the plague whenever possible.

By contrast, even the very worst of the second season is somewhere in-between subpar and decent for me, and the very best makes me forget the first season ever even happened. Well, it would if the show wasn't so great about constantly connecting with itself at every turn!
                        Post SG1 S2 spoilers
                        Spoiler:
                        Tell that to the Reutu and Foothold aliens
                        Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                          Post SG1 S2 spoilers
                          Spoiler:
                          Tell that to the Reutu and Foothold aliens
                          Spoiler:
                          I will...

...when they make their deadly alliance known in the third SG-1 movie

Comment

2.18: Holiday

I didn't like this one, it really did nothing. But i'm certainly not angry or put off given the spate of outstanding episodes over the last few weeks. In general, i'm pretty fed up with the plot device of an alien appropriating a human as host in order to survive. Everytime it's done there just don't seem to be any new ideas. Holiday was no exception to this. I wasn't interested in the alien, I never felt any empathy for him and I was just bored.

However, the saving grace of the episode was actually seeing Richard, Michael and Christopher literally step out of their characters and embrace the other. While the dialogue here was predictable, the performances were always great.

And why the title Holiday? It was a theme that went totally over my head here.

Next please.

2 out of 5

Comment

Originally posted by TryWhistlingThis View Post
                              And why the title Holiday? It was a theme that went totally over my head here.

Next please.

2 out of 5
                              It was a play off Ma'chello. Here is a man spent his life in agony and pain fighting for just one day of peace and relaxation. His holiday
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

2.19: One False Step

It was interesting to see for a change to have a species that actually didn't speak any English. In fact, if the rece of aliens in this episode could communicate fluently with the SG1 team, it would have been an all out failure. I certainly enjoyed this week's episode better than Holiday, but only just. I felt that the last minute resolution that Carter came up with was a bit of a cop-out. Personally, this is an episode where it would have been feasible for the team to actually be well and truly out of their depth and admit defeat.

But, I did like the CGI sequence in the end where all of the flowers sprouted, that was a nice effect.

3 out of 5

Comment

Working...
                                X