Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Journey through Stargate SG1 - episode by episode.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by madaboutdanny View Post
    I'm shocked to say this but for once I agree with Petra... I wonder what kind of episode did you watch? Because according to your summary that wasn't AP.
    Sounds exactly like it to me
    sigpic

Comment

4.18: Prodigy

I think this might be the first episode ever not to have an appearance by Daniel Jackson at all. It was interesting to see the team work without him. Honestly, it didn't feel empty at all. This is another season highlight as you had two really interesting stories going on with interesting story arcs. The story of the Cadet was actually really well handled because the chemistry between her and Carter had a depth to it without evolving into this cliched love/hate friendship in the end. Instead, we get a sense that while the Cadet ends up being a little more open minded after her experiences, she still has a lot to learn and hasn't totally lost that chip on the shoulder. My worry with this episode was that they were going to give her the 42 minute personality makeover. But, it left her fate open without having any sudden changes to her personality. I'd like to see her again to see how they develop her character next time.

I especially enjoyed the adversary because they weren't a rubber or tattoo faced species. Instead, we saw a sentient species that didn't conform to the human perception of what a being that feels pain should look like.

There were some real laugh out loud moments too. The highlight here easily was when O'Neill needed to get shot by the stun gun where Teal'c acts before the count.

All in all, a good mix of drama, action and science-fiction.

Perfect.

5 out of 5

Comment

^^ YES!!!

Woo hoo, finally someone who likes Prodigy as a whole, all its elements and likes Haley (she'll be back in season 5 btw)! Green for you
        There's a good chance this opinion is shared by Ashizuri
        sigpic
        awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

Originally posted by Petra View Post
          ^^ YES!!!

Woo hoo, finally someone who likes Prodigy as a whole, all its elements and likes Haley (she'll be back in season 5 btw)! Green for you
          Hey, I like Prodigy too! Though I agree that it gets a lot of unjust hate. Green for both of ya!
          sigpic

Comment

4.20: Entity

This was an episode where the first half worked much better than the latter half. The idea of an entity stalking and tormenting its enemies through technology set the episode up really well for a cutting-edge sci-fi thriller. However, where I felt the episode fell down from this promise was when it reverted to the old faithful "alien hosting the human" plot device which we have seen many times before in sci-fi and Stargate. Admittedly, the twist of Carter being transferred back to the computer was an unexpected resolution so it surprised me there, but apart from that, the episode broke little ground that could be thought of as innovative. It's a shame because much like the 2010 episode, this one had the potential to be a really memorable classic but didn't quite reach that level.

Enjoyable but not essential.

3 out of 5

A quick sidenote: since I came to the end of that disc, I decided to make some time for the special features. I was treated to this short documentary. Secret Files of the SGC. It was good to see the cast in their natural habitat and to get to know them that bit more. The part with the wrench was laugh out loud funny, i'll be watching out for that in future episodes

Comment

4.21: Double Jeopardy

This episode provided an excellent set up for the finale. This episode really didn't get it wrong, it had just the right amount of action, dialogue and recurring characters while developing the continuity nicely. I was also surprised when Daniel was shot, it was revealed it was one of the tin men from the appropriately titled episode.

Looking forward to the season finale

5 out of 5

Comment

^^Cool I must say, "Exodus" is probably my favourite season finale in the franchise. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.
                sigpic
                awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

just sort of scanned this thread, are you watching an episode a week or something?

i got into stargate sg-1 last semester, and watched an episode a day during the week (with the exception of 2 parters whichi watched together), two or three on weekends. and finshed all 10 seasons and movies in 4 months. maybe i just need a life...
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by blueray View Post
                    just sort of scanned this thread, are you watching an episode a week or something?

i got into stargate sg-1 last semester, and watched an episode a day during the week (with the exception of 2 parters whichi watched together), two or three on weekends. and finshed all 10 seasons and movies in 4 months. maybe i just need a life...
                    Yes, 1 episode per week because I do have a busy week plus I watch other shows too

4.22: Exodus

The Gate goes epic! In terms of spectacle and scenario, I think this is the biggest Stargate has been to date. Admittedly, it wasn't as strong as it's predecessor, Double Jeopardy as I couldn't quite get into the pacing of the first half of the episode. It wasn't until the final twenty minutes where things really picked up and got interesting.

I'm looking forward to the continuation

4 out of 5

Speaking of which, this thread will be taking a three week break because I have exams coming up. So, viewing and reviewing will resume on Friday November 12 with the Season 5 launch

Overall, Season 4 has ended up being the strongest. Therefore, the rankings:

Last edited by TryWhistlingThis; 17 October 2010, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by blueray View Post

Yea I was the same. There's no way I could have done just one episode a week
                      sigpic

Comment

Hello everyone! I have returned from exams so my academic year has finished and can resume my journey through Stargate as promised. I hope you're all well! So here we go, Season 5.

5.01 - Enemies (Part 2)

This was an outstanding way to open the season. One thing that this episode really excelled in was fluidity, I couldn't find a dull moment in it. I think the only way it was let down was its predictability. When Teal'c returned, the first thing I asked myself "shouldn't they check if he's under duress?"

But the fate of Teal'c has been left open which is what I didn't expect. So technically, this would make it a 3-part episode since they're still trying to get home and restore Teal'c to his former self?

4 out of 5

Comment

5.02 - Threshold (Part 3)

For me this was a truly fitting way to close what I refer to as the Fall of Apophis Trilogy. In any good trilogy, the second installment usually sees the characters at their low point in the darkest place of their situation. In being light years away from home, stranded in the wilderness with no means of help, the previous episode being the toughest in the trilogy of the characters was certainly true.

So, with this final installment, it sees the characters coming out of the situation. The tone and pace generally tends to be a little more downbeat and the character arcs are usually finalised. This clearly was characteristic of this episode. I enjoyed watching the backstory unfold during the Teal'c spent under Apophis as he struggled with his own internal dilemma. The colour filtering used for those scenes was great and generally the whole episode was well-shot which is further demonstrating the evolved production quality of the series.

An excellent close to this particular chapter in the series.

5 out of 5

Comment

5.03 - Ascension

This episode had the best "guest" cast so far for this series: Q and Young Indiana Jones. I must say, Indy certainly got creepier as he got older while Q lost a certain element of humour, but their performances were no doubt deliberate as to avoid a typecast performance. I found it a little too miraculous that Orlin could manufacture a Stargate from household goods, even if it burnt out after only being used once.

I also felt that perhaps Carter's affection for Orlin came a little too soon. Obviously, part of this concern was out of knowing the possible consequences of the SGC testing the weapon, but the time between being freaked out and intrigued by Orlin was very short. Nevertheless, it made for a good story. While I liked Flannery's performance, Orlin came off as a little monotone, especially someone who had past experience in a physical body. It was almost as though he was experiencing the confines of flesh and blood for the first time.

Decent.

3 out of 5

Comment

Originally posted by TryWhistlingThis View Post
                              While I liked Flannery's performance, Orlin came off as a little monotone, especially someone who had past experience in a physical body. It was almost as though he was experiencing the confines of flesh and blood for the first time.
                              You know, there was a lot of talk in the fandom about Orlin's behaviour. Some folks thought he was a stalker and watching Sam, unaware of his presence in her house, take a bath/shower and sleep was beyond creepy while others thought it was perfectly reasonable behaviour for an alien. I'm curious what's your take on it?
                              sigpic
                              awesome sig by Josiane

Comment

Originally posted by Petra View Post
                                You know, there was a lot of talk in the fandom about Orlin's behaviour. Some folks thought he was a stalker and watching Sam, unaware of his presence in her house, take a bath/shower and sleep was beyond creepy while others thought it was perfectly reasonable behaviour for an alien. I'm curious what's your take on it?
                                It was strange. Again, given that he was a humanoid before, it seems odd that being in a body was such a discomforting experience. That said, he had been exiled into this etherial form for quite some time so perhaps it was some form of post-imprisonment trauma? He had been without a companion for a while and was clearly in need of a companion. Being the friendly, attractive, intelligent and understanding person Carter is, she did seem like a logical choice out of anyone in the SG1 team. I certainly don't think there was any malicious intent on Orlin's because of the underlying innocence of it all (wanting a friend, wanting help, knowing she was a member of SG1).

Was Orlin's behaviour reasonable? Well, nothing justifies that sort of behaviour but following the banishment he had endured, one can at least understand to some extent he is psychologically damaged and through that has lost touch with how to behave in a decent manner. Irrespective, Carter's emotions for him seemed to come on a little strong and fast given how he was behaving.

Comment

Working...
                                X