X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by the dancer of spaz
    [COLOR=DarkRed]
    ALSO, having/wanting/not minding a woman's name before the title of a show absolutely has NOTHING to do with radical feminism. I'm not a feminist either, by the way. No one's asking for female superiority in this line of business - just equality.
    We can't just ASSUME that a woman would screw a show up because of past results in PAST shows.

it isn't worth the risk. such a wonderful show shouldn't end as ignominiously (sp?) as final conflict; tho I don't despise Sam she is being dragged into a role that doesn't suit her. when push comes to shove even mckay makes a more interesting scientist than sam. sam does her scientist role decently tho she doesn't inspire me to become a scientist - it's the concepts that do that - I just know she can't lead the show and they shouldn't even try.

Comment

Originally posted by terraatlantus
      it isn't worth the risk. such a wonderful show shouldn't end as ignominiously (sp?) as final conflict; tho I don't despise Sam she is being dragged into a role that doesn't suit her. when push comes to shove even mckay makes a more interesting scientist than sam. sam does her scientist role decently tho she doesn't inspire me to become a scientist - it's the concepts that do that - I just know she can't lead the show and they shouldn't even try.
      *winces in confusion* What?

OK, let me just make sure it's made clear that I do NOT think AT will be before the title. Period. Neither will MS, though, so... Anyway, MS/DJ are no more leaders than AT/SC. Have you SEEN how much Daniel's been in the series this season? It's been minimal at best - even less than CJ/Teal'c, who ALWAYS bears the brunt of character inferiority. And, as of Season Six, AT has tenure over MS, I believe.

I like Rodney McKay, because's he's funny and witty, but he is a different PERSON than Sam. He's sardonic, pessimistic, and arrogant. They are two different scientists, who take on their "art" - for lack of a better reference - differently. Sam Carter on SG-1 is longevity, Rodney McKay on Atlantis is longevity. They border on foiling each other, but they're so different that they're perfect in their separate (and did I mention "different?") realms.

Sam Carter is not primarily the scientist/2IC of SG-1 now. She is the leader of the flagship team. She, alongside Daniel Jackson and Teal'c, are the experts on the Goa'uld and everything else that has threatened Earth. They are the go-to people with the jobs to die for. Sam Carter's role in the show is not to "inspire" us all to be scientists, anyway. She and Daniel are primarily placed in their areas of study so they can keep the plot moving and explain the logistics and storylines in a somewhat simplistic way. Beyond that is character development, which has nothing to do with science or archaeology.

Comment

erm, reading your quote of my post - it seems to be a run on sentence but i'm tired. so shoot me. I'm confused by your answer also.

but tenure or not AT is nowhere near the star in comparison to MS in respect to their characters importance and contributions to the show. the ultimate reason sam can't lead the show because how her character was managed during the show as well as how other female characters leading other shows diminished them. she isn't a leader, she's a supporting character and not a compelling one by comparison to jackson or o'neill. she'd screw it up like EFC and STV

AT can't carry the show as lead based on her history and lack of charisma and capabilities - jack can, daniel can, sam can't

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson
          OK, let's just assume we have a 9th season that'll lead into a series of SG-1 films. Here's how I'd redo the cast in the opening credits...

Amanda Tapping
          Stargate SG-1
          Michael Shanks
          Christopher Judge
          Corin Nemec
          Richard Dean-Anderson as "General Jack O'Neill"

Whut about AT's baby, and why bring Jonas back?

Here's my idea: write AT's baby into the show, say she's have'n a time traveler's baby, or something wacky like that. lol Then she can have her baby on the show, thus spend time with him/her. Granted, this is assuming AT thinks this is a good idea.

As for Jonas Quinn, we could bring him back as a means for Kelwanna to "negotiate" with Earth. They decide they'll finally share naquadria (assuming they aren't already, I'm a syndication viewer), but only if Jonas is put back on SG-1. Walla, he's back without it be'n, "Oh, we need a 4th guy, let's call Jonas." lol

Why put RDA at the end of the intro credits? It'd be to show that he's no longer the star and will have the least screen time, kind'a like General Hammond. He'd be a "main character" or "series regular," whichever term you prefer, but we'd usually only see him at the SGC and he wouldn't be the focus of the episode, allowing SG-1 to go off on their adventures.

Thoughts?
          Dude, time travel is just bad sci-fi...look at Voyager and Enterprise. Time travel belittles sci-fi and serves to cheapen plots IMO.

Comment

but tenure or not AT is nowhere near the star in comparison to MS in respect to their characters importance and contributions to the show. the ultimate reason sam can't lead the show because how her character was managed during the show as well as how other female characters leading other shows diminished them. she isn't a leader, she's a supporting character and not a compelling one by comparison to jackson or o'neill. she'd screw it up like EFC and STV

AT can't carry the show as lead based on her history and lack of charisma and capabilities - jack can, daniel can, sam can't
            OK, you're right. Sam Carter has done absolutely NOTHING to aid in the show's progression. I'm sorry for thinking otherwise. Daniel is our Stargate Savior. I totally forgot! And, if Sam was a supporting character, I can guarantee you she wouldn't have the fans that she does right now. You can't compare characters like that, as each character adds to the show in their own way. And you ALSO can't compare her to FAILED television shows.

Jack can lead the show, and has. But, at the end of the day, it's been about the team. Daniel CANNOT lead the show, and Sam SHOULD NOT lead the show. Since season one, Daniel has been the conscience of the team and Sam has been the 2IC. There's a reason for that. A very good, sound, and valid reason.

Comment

OK, you're right. Sam Carter has done absolutely NOTHING to aid in the show's progression. I'm sorry for thinking otherwise. Daniel is our Stargate Savior. I totally forgot!
              I'm glad u agree

And, if Sam was a supporting character, I can guarantee you she wouldn't have the fans that she does right now. You can't compare characters like that, as each character adds to the show in their own way.
              daniel too, and even so she still couldn't lead

And you ALSO can't compare her to FAILED television shows.
              i disagree, i think if she took the lead, the pattern would repeat

Jack can lead the show, and has. But, at the end of the day, it's been about the team. Daniel CANNOT lead the show, and Sam SHOULD NOT lead the show. Since season one, Daniel has been the conscience of the team and Sam has been the 2IC. There's a reason for that. A very good, sound, and valid reason.
              if weir could certainly daniel could, and as the show reminds us daniel isn't particuarly amenable to following jack's lead so it's minimally important that sam is 2ic. i believe daniel is a match for sam's leadership and more

Comment

Originally posted by LordAnubis
                Dude, time travel is just bad sci-fi...look at Voyager and Enterprise. Time travel belittles sci-fi and serves to cheapen plots IMO.
                Come on now, time travel rocks in sci-fi! Voyager had some of the best TV sci-fi stories, and Enterprise's temporal cold war story arc is awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson
                  Come on now, time travel rocks in sci-fi! Voyager had some of the best TV sci-fi stories, and Enterprise's temporal cold war story arc is awesome!
                  I disagree. In Enterprise, it violated ST canon and it was poorly done. Of course, this is my opinion. Voyager did an okay job with time travel, but still, time ships? Time captains? Come on! How lame. Space travel is possible, but if time travel were possible, well....who knows! I just think time travel is a cop out: we don't know what to write this week so we'll go back to San Francisco in 1986 and save the Earth with whales or something lame like that (I loved that movie, but flying around the sun to go back in time? ya, right!). Hell, if it were so easy to go back in time, like flying around the sun a few times, then any moron with a ship and the right calculations could go back to Earth in 1870, with a full contingent of advanced weapons and troops, and take over the Earth.

I really think time travel should be avoided in good sci-fi. It's cheap and dirty

Comment

Originally posted by MartoufMarty
                    Torri Higginson is the lead female in Atlantis. Nothing wrong with her. She's awesome!
                    Joe Flanigan is before her in the credits.
                    Originally posted by Jonisa
                    If in this scenario RDA is a recurring character, why do any of the rest of the cast need to be before the credits?
                    You're right. If they do a season without RDA, there won't be anyone before the title. Just look at Atlantis, which didn't have an established "star"... Nobody before the title. (Well actually, with the Atlantis opening they're all before the title but I think you get my point.)
                    Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

Originally posted by LordAnubis
                      I disagree. In Enterprise, it violated ST canon and it was poorly done.
                      While Enterprise being poorly done is your opinion, I can say that it has not violated Trek canon. I've seen every episode, and look forward to tonight's episode, "Storm Front, Part II." I've heard all the "canon violation" stories, and to be honest, the only one that comes close is Romulans having cloaking devices in "Minefield," but even that can be easilly explained if you pay close enough attention to lines from the TOS episode "Balance of Terror."

Of course, this is my opinion. Voyager did an okay job with time travel, but still, time ships? Time captains? Come on! How lame.
                      Oh, don't be so harsh. We only saw two timeships, both of which were from the 29th century. The first one was a small one-man ship the size of a shuttle. The reason why it was written into the story is becuase it's kind of a Trek tradition to have a "travel to Earth of the past" episode. So, nothing wrong with "Future's End" in that aspect. As for time captains, we didn't have any. They were Starfleet officers with the rank of captains, but that didn't make them "time captains." lol

Space travel is possible, but if time travel were possible, well....who knows! I just think time travel is a cop out: we don't know what to write this week so we'll go back to San Francisco in 1986 and save the Earth with whales or something lame like that (I loved that movie, but flying around the sun to go back in time? ya, right!).
                      Actually, at the time, scientists had theorised that one could travel through time via using the sun as a slingshot after very precise calculations for speed, coarse, angle, and so forth.

Hell, if it were so easy to go back in time, like flying around the sun a few times, then any moron with a ship and the right calculations could go back to Earth in 1870, with a full contingent of advanced weapons and troops, and take over the Earth.
                      You're right, which is why we have the Temporal Cold War featured in Enterprise.

I really think time travel should be avoided in good sci-fi. It's cheap and dirty
                      Eh, to each their own, I guess. Personally, time travel has always been one of my favorite type of sci-fi, so I always get real excited when Star Trek does a time travel episode.

Comment

plz teens today still use 'chicks' i heard it used on a couple college campuses recently by both males and females
                        It surely better that the other terms I've been hearing: Hoe's & Pimps! Aargh! Don't get me started...

"We'll keep the light on for you."

Comment

The whole argument of IF RDA didn't come back for season 9 who would be "Before the title"...I agree I don't think that anyone would get that billing...BUT IF someone did, I'd agree that Michael Shanks would be the most logical (in my mind) I think compared to RDA in fandom MS is right behind him.... As for Jonas, I don't think we'd see him back as a member of SG-1 for a couple of reason, one already pointed out, I don't think we're going to see a what is basically supposed to be a USAF team made up of 4 people, with only one member of the military....also I think the character of Jonas while granted was different from Daniel served the same basic purpose in relation to forwarding the plots along.... The characters of Daniel and Jonas were there to be the communicators, they were able to make connections that the others on the team just couldn't make...(if you watch the commentary for the season 6 episode Frozen, this was pointed out rather well during one of the scenes between Jonas and the Frozen girl....) so that being said I think that if they were to add someone to the team as the new 4th person I should be someone military...I'd love to see a young LT or Capt. added that just doesn't understand that when dealing with things through the stargate sometime you have the toss the regulation book out the window...

OK all that being said I actually have a question about the "billing" on a show, the whole name before the title or the and/with so&so as so&so (like MS has now). I'm sure that has something to do with things, I mean look at West Wing Martin Sheen's billing is the and/as thing, and he's clearly the lead of a great ensemble cast. So is that billing like Michael and David now have does is that supposd to mean that they are sort'a the 2nd lead or something....what the holleywood significance?

Comment

She's leading it now. Has been for years.

Sally
                            sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                              She's leading it now. Has been for years.

Sally

not so.

Comment

Colonel Carter currently leads SG-1. I see no reason why Amanda Tapping can't also lead the show itself. I can think of 3 good sci-fi shows that had a successful leading actress.

Star Trek: Voyager - Kate Mulgrew as "Captain Kathryn Janeway"
                                Roswell - Shiri Appleby as "Liz Parker"
                                The X Files - Gillian Anderson as "Special Agent Dana Scully" (Seasons 8&9)

Comment

Working...
                                X