This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Steel_Thunder
    Taking the high road? I'm guessing you're the type of person that didn't like people talking about how Clinton cheated on Hillary during his office? Of course, we all realized the point of picking on him - the fact that he was a person who lied and wasn't worthy of the second term he received (due to other lies that were found out that had more to do with him being in office and the fact that a president should be honest to the people he was hired to work for of course...).
    I'm sorry but how did "taking the high road" cause you to GUESS that I'm the type of person that didn't like people talking about how Clinton cheated on Hillary during his office? Talk about "reading between the lines". Clinton is an elected official who was representing and governing our nation. Amanda Tapping is not. Clinton's (or any President's) actions affect millions, perhaps billions of lives. AT's do not. And by the way AT has done nothing wrong. Clinton did.

I never had any problem with the discussions of how Clinton's actions showed him to be a man of poor character who perhaps shouldn't be leading the country. I personally never voted for him. I DID think the daily news bulletins about the cigar and where he put it and all the scandalous details of the spot on the dress on the nightly news crossed the line of tasteful discussion many times. And yes, I always try to take the high road in giving the man filling the role of what is arguably the toughest job in the world the respect he deserves for taking on the position. I try never to say anything about someone in a post on the internet that I wouldn't be willing to say to them in person. Don't always succeed but I try. So if that's the type of person you're accusing me of being I plead guilty.

Now, whether people like it or not, if a person chooses to be a star in this world, they have the right to reserve what is known and not known. What it doesn't mean is that people have to be polite about that person's personal life. First off, some of those stars lead very disturbing lives. Those that cheat on their wives, send a horrible message to children and other people in general. Talking about their lives hopefully makes them embarrassed and hopefully they choose not to do it again.
    Stars don't always get a break on what is known or not known. Every offhand comment can be quoted and spread across the internet in seconds. However that's part of being in the public eye and I'm sure they know that. That doesn't make it right to discuss every detail of their private lives when they are going to great lengths to try and keep those details private. There's a difference between happening to be in a restaurant and seeing a star make a fool of themselves and chasing them around with a camera hoping to catch them making a fool of themselves.

And I guess people don't HAVE to be polite. But being polite will perhaps embarrass the people who aren't being polite and they will hopefully choose not to do it again (using your words). BTW, in my opinion, acting in a civilized and polite manner also sends an important message to children and other people in general.

The point is, I was not intentionally rude about this subject, nor when I re-read my first post do I think I was rude. For those who I offended, I am sorry. But I am only offering an apology out of kindness, not because I think it is deserved. It isn't my fault that there are people out there that have to assume something negative when they read a post. Nor is it my fault that they feel they have to assume anything that wasn't read. If you read something and try to read between the lines which weren't written about, your bound to get the wrong idea. My advice? Ask questions before you jump to conclusions...
    I thought the title of the thread WAS rude and obviously several other people did also. The first thing I thought when I saw it was - oh jeez, people are going to be blaming AT. I will accept your explanation that you weren't being intentionally rude because you say you weren't. If you weren't being intentionally rude then IMO your original thread title was poorly worded.

I believe I posted earlier in the thread that it was probably a natural result of the announcement that people would discuss the affect this might have on season 9 or the storylines for season 9. Heck, Lexa Doig's pregnancy on Andromeda caused them to bring in a whole new character to fill the void. Season 9 has always been iffy due to the high costs of producing the series and the STAR of the show's publicly stated desire to retire. A combination of factors will probably figure into the final decision.
    Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

What exactly wasn't respectful besides supposively the title (which I still saw no problem with)??
      I'll PM you.

Madeleine

Comment

If s9 was definite, then scifi would have announced it. since they haven't, i think it's obvious that it's still up in the air.

and if it doesn't happen, it could not happen for a multitude of reasons. AT may not want to do it, RDA may bow out, MS may decide that he likes being Mr. Mom, CJ has cancelled some con appearances to focus on family, maybe he also wants to take time off.

placing blame in any one place is silly and futile.It's been 4 years since MS left the show, three since Corin was let go, three since MS came back....and folks still haven't figure out who to 'blame' for the show changing.

I'm willing to bet that TPTB knew that amanda was trying to have a child....in the movie and tv industry, that's not just something you choose to do on your own (actresses have even had 'no pregnancy' clauses in their contracts)

She and her husband have obviously been trying for quite some time, so her having a child has been a possibility for over a year...and it's something that's finally come to fruition for her.

I wish her and Alan nothing but happiness.....just as i'd wish ANY of the actors nothing but the best should they decide to focus on their lives.

Eventually, Stargate will end. It may be this spring, it may be next spring, it may be the spring of 2006. It WILL end. And when it does end it won't be because of one person's decision. It will be because several people all agree to let it go.
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
          Eventually, Stargate will end. It may be this spring, it may be next spring, it may be the spring of 2006. It WILL end. And when it does end it won't be because of one person's decision. It will be because several people all agree to let it go.
          I believe that how ST:NG decided to end their run. So I do agree with you, Skydiver.

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
            If s9 was definite, then scifi would have announced it. since they haven't, i think it's obvious that it's still up in the air.
            By the same logic, if it definately would not happen, the production company would have announced it by now. Absolutely no point in keeping it a secret.

Right now I bet SciFi and MGM are talking things over. Money, number of shows, etc. And MGM is probably talking to the actors, seeing how much it will take to sign them on for one more season. Also looking into what story possibilities are available for season nine and so forth.

Atlantis is probably making this more complicated, since they don't want to sink a deal for another season of Atlantis because of disputes about SG-1.

SG-1 could continue minus any one character. But, of course, if two of them want to bow out (say RDA and Tapping) then the show is done for. They'll have no choice but to end it.

Comment

Originally posted by greytop
              I believe that how ST:NG decided to end their run. So I do agree with you, Skydiver.
              TNG was a bit different. They had not one, but two spinoffs sold at that point, and they wanted to start making TNG movies. There was no doubt that they could have sold an eight season of TNG.

Comment

I only read the first couple of pages and I just have to say Spoilers are everywhere. Please not so many without warning

Comment

Spoilers
                  Spoilers
                  Spoilers
                  Spoilers

RDA is more of a problem for the show than AT. They can write it in the stories, lot's of shows have otten around this situation succesfully, look at DS9. I think it would be a good idea for Sam and Pete to have a baby, if they stay together. I know ALOT of you are going to hate this, but I really don't have a problem with Pete himself, but the way it happened. One episode you meet him, next episode fifth pretends to be him, then the second time you see the real Pete, they get engaged. They can write stories with Sam struggling whether or not to go off world when she has a baby child, thta would be great. If they can get RDA to commit the same amount of time he's commiting now there can definetly be a season 9, since he's now General and you don't have to see him all the time. Congrats AT!

Comment

Originally posted by Vyse
                    They can write stories with Sam struggling whether or not to go off world when she has a baby child, thta would be great.
                    No, that would be incredably boring and absolutely not what this show is about. I'd rather they cancel it then change the nature of the show to that degree.

Comment

Originally posted by ibwolf
                      No, that would be incredably boring and absolutely not what this show is about. I'd rather they cancel it then change the nature of the show to that degree.
                      I disagree, I think it would be a great sub plot. SG-1 is also about character development, not just action scenes.

Comment

I disagree, I think it would be a great sub plot. SG-1 is also about character development, not just action scenes.
                        Yes, but this would be getting to the point where I would describe it as 'trite.'

Comment

Originally posted by ibwolf
                          Yes, but this would be getting to the point where I would describe it as 'trite.'
                          Once again I disagree with you. I'm not saying every episode has to be about a baby, but one or two would be good. Of course you could always have Carter working on some new weapon or something temporarily, until she is able to be reassigned to active duty. I don't think it's 'trite', as CJ said, SG-1 hasn't reached it's plateau yet, once it does they should definetly end the series on a high note.

Comment

Once again I disagree with you. I'm not saying every episode has to be about a baby, but one or two would be good. Of course you could always have Carter working on some new weapon or something temporarily, until she is able to be reassigned to active duty. I don't think it's 'trite', as CJ said, SG-1 hasn't reached it's plateau yet, once it does they should definetly end the series on a high note.
                            Yes, we clearly disagree here, and I think it behoves me to express my opinion on the matter in more detail.

It's worth asking 'what is SG-1 about?'

Is it about Jack, Sam, Teal'c and Daniel? No, not as such!
                            It is (or was) about a team of explorers who went out into the wilderness of the galaxy. Seeking priceless treasures (technology in this case) and doing battle with evil. I've boiled it way down, but that is what the show was about.

Of course that is going to involve the team members characters quite a bit, and there are going to be individual episodes that dont exactly fill the mold. That's just television.

However if you give Sam a baby, the show is all of a sudden about 'mom going to war' (I use the term 'war' very loosely.) That is a whole other concept and a major departure from the show.

You just CAN NOT ignore such an important event in a characters life after spending just one or two episodes on it. It would be extremely unbelievable for her to just 'get over it' and go on as before.

So in conclusion, I'll restate that I'd rather see the show quit while it's ahead, then to be dragged down into this type of drivel. (Ok, maybe drivel is a bit harsh, but that's just me).

Comment

Originally posted by greytop
                              For example: Think of the way they worked MS appendix operation in. They made it a part of the story line.
                              Heh heh. Appendix operation... Pregnancy... Appendix operation... Pregnancy...

Which one is harder to write into the storyline? Hmm...

Just kidding, it just made me laugh, so I thought I'd be a wench and comment on it.

Comment

Originally posted by jantreeuk1
                                To Skydiver no Lexa isn't I think you'll find they are refering to the fact that MS has decided to be a house dad while Lexa films Andromeda so he won't make SG8 in November.
                                jan t
                                Has stargate not wrapped filming for season 8 yet? if not when do they?

If season 8 has not finished, is Shanks filming less? where did you read this?

Comment

Working...
                                X