Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Always a successful mission - Good or bad?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with the statement that it's the lack of consequences thats the real problem but part of the problem is that when SG1 escapes their screwups by the skin of their teeth they don't often go back to check up on what happened after... at least on screen.

Since most of the situations seem to be life or death it seems the ultimate consequence would be for a team member to die, and that happens sometimes. Except for Janet however, they usually come back.

To explore all the stories that they want and create a story arc for the season some episodes exploring the consequences of their actions would undoubtedly have to be eliminated. I think the writers also operate under that the assumption that when a millitary team goes through the gate losses are expected and therefore, not always noteworthy.

Another possibility is that at this point we've come to expect a certain level of competence from SG1 that major screwups on their part seem out of character. Prime Example is Gemini. Sam screwed up big time and it was completely out of character. If they hadn't managed to save the day... end of series as it too often is.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

If every mission went as planned, and everyone came home, safe and sound, how long do you think the series would have run? A year? Two?
      "After all is said and done, more is said, than done." - Unknown

Comment

I think it can now be said that SG-1 isn't always successful in their missions. Thankfully they have built themselves such a legacy that they will always be able to bank on their overwhelming coolness, to lessen the fallout from some of their greater failures.

Comment

What about "Icon"... they were responsible for millions (if not billions) of deaths... that can't be undone, even if it did have a vaguely happy ending.

Comment

I think all the minor screw-ups are enough for now. Remember that of all the alternate realities, we are one of the few that the Goa'uld havent taken over. A major screw up or failure could mean the end of the world as we know it.

"We'll keep the light on for you."

Comment

I vote for minor scvrew ups halfthe time and at lest 1 major 1 once a season
              I'm from Iowa, United States

Comment

for 8 years SG-1 for the most part has already come out of a mission with no problems.

but i think for those who saw season 9 and flesh and blood that things have changed SG-1 is getting there donkeys kicked by the ori and
                season 9 and flesh and blood spoiler
                Spoiler:
                the body count jump to a all time record in Beachhead Ethon and Camelot alone and as we find out in flesh and blood culak is under the control of the ori

so i think it's safe to say that for the time being successful mission are not something the fans should take for granted anymore.
                https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by Capt.Mal Reynolds
                  for 8 years SG-1 for the most part has already come out of a mission with no problems.

but i think for those who saw season 9 and flesh and blood that things have changed SG-1 is getting there donkeys kicked by the ori and
                  season 9 and flesh and blood spoiler
                  Spoiler:
                  the body count jump to a all time record in Beachhead Ethon and Camelot alone and as we find out in flesh and blood culak is under the control of the ori

so i think it's safe to say that for the time being successful mission are not something the fans should take for granted anymore.
                  And personally, I like that. It's refreshing to see things not going so well for our heroes right now. Even though, in the end, we know they'll end up prevailing against the Ori somehow, I feel there will be many more losses along the way. Serious losses.
                  sigpic
                  MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                  "...phu...ah..."
                  "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                  Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man
                    And personally, I like that. It's refreshing to see things not going so well for our heroes right now. Even though, in the end, we know they'll end up prevailing against the Ori somehow, I feel there will be many more losses along the way. Serious losses.
                    like cameron said there need a new plan..... a damn good one
                    https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by Capt.Mal Reynolds
                      like cameron said there need a new plan..... a damn good one
                      No doubt there. I just think it will take them awhile to come up with a plan that really works against the Ori and their forces. In the meantime though, it should make for some interesting viewing.
                      sigpic
                      MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                      "...phu...ah..."
                      "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                      Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

This is part of the reason i like the new ori story arc. We dont always win. I think us losing adds a whole new dimension to the show and i believe that we should have a couple of bad missions along the way.
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X