Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Always a successful mission - Good or bad?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The big stories don't always involve Earth being in direct mortal peril. I just think that it'd be interesting to see what happened. Maybe you're right and it wouldn't work, but I'm still curious.

Comment

not to mention the mortality rate of the average SG team. and aliens...just look at how many people die in each episode. I agree that the ascension thing in Full Circle weakened the power of that episode; I would've been more affected by all of them dying. The only one I could see ascending (as something believable) was Ska'ra.

"I think that, to some degree, all of us are fractured souls. Cut in half. And we wander through life looking for the rest of ourselves. And sometimes we're fortunate enough to meet someone who possesses, in themselves, the part of ourselves that we've been missing. We may not realize it on a conscious level, but definitely on a subconscious level. We see in someone else... something of ourselves. Thats why sometimes you meet someone and you just immediately feel comfortable with them. You feel like you've known them all your life. The reason is that they're a part of you, and you're a part of them. You're soul mates. you... fit. And once you've fit together, nothing can pull you apart unless you let go."
      ~Imzadi
      describes Sam and Jack pretty well to me!

<dancing and chanting in my ceremonial BDUs>
      Screw the regs! DOWN with ! He's no threat to O'Neill! Sam and Jack FOREVER!

Comment

Originally posted by DarkQuee1
        The problem is not that we haven't seen screw-ups; the problem is that we haven't had sufficient consequences for the screw-ups.

Exactly. I'd like to see them have to deal with the consequences of some of the decisions they've made, either collectively or individually.

Jordan

Comment

Originally posted by DarkQuee1
          The problem is not that we haven't seen screw-ups; the problem is that we haven't had sufficient consequences for the screw-ups.
          Must've missed this before. Yes. Maybe that's the problem. SG-1 does get away with screwing up, but they never have to pay the price for their mistakes. "Oops, we destroyed your atmosphere. Good luck! Quick, Daniel, dial us home!"

I'm not a very nice person, so maybe I just want to see the team suffer.

Comment

I agree that they do fail from time to time, but as well as the consequences of their failures, I'd like to see more episodes in which they get honestly beaten.

Successful enemies have to walk a fine line between two questions: "How are you still alive?" and "Why haven't you killed them yet?" The sheer size of space and the multitude of concerns facing all parties allows plenty of room for some of the major System Lords to score definitive victories every once in a while without wondering why they haven't finished the job, so I'd like to see that every now and then.
            Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
            - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

I guess Stargate is and always has been more of a "how are they going to get out of this mess" show rather than a "are they going to get out of this mess" show.

But I'd like to see them screw up a little more, and not be able to fix it for once. It creates more angst. Angst be good. Especially the Sam variety, cause she rocks.
              ------
              Shelby aka JessMerrick

Comment

Originally posted by jenniferhailey
                But I'd like to see them screw up a little more, and not be able to fix it for once. It creates more angst. Angst be good. Especially the Sam variety, cause she rocks.
                Ah yes, pain. Always time for a little pain.

Of course, having said all this, I'm not sure many of my fanfics end in untriumphant (is that a word) circumstances, but they do quite frequently have a lot of pain.
                Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
                - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

I think that in season eight they should really screw up at least once. If SG-1 is to be a 3-person team then perhaps without O'Neill they aren't as a strong team. It can be disappointing that it always ends up with Earth winning yet another battle so maybe the Wraith in Atlantis should kick some butt
                  __

__

Comment

Originally posted by Anubis
                    I think that in season eight they should really screw up at least once. If SG-1 is to be a 3-person team then perhaps without O'Neill they aren't as a strong team.
                    OK, that I patently disagree with. If they're going to fail, they're going to fail as a team, not because the Almighty Jack isn't there to Save the Day. Setting it up that way just leaves it wide open for vindicating all the Sam-bashers who think Sam is incompetent and "She's going to get them all killed!" and "She isn't capable of command!" and many much less polite things...

Comment

There are plenty of unhappy endings, i.e Janet's death, Martouf dying, those were all pretty unhappy if you ask me, but i think the occasionay bad ending is needed and not happy all the time, and the show has done a great job of keeping this balance so far

If you want a custom sig pic-I'll do them for you-FREE

Comment

well yes there are eps. where it shows some bad effects of what going around in the stargate has done around the galaxy. but the thing is, sg-1 almost always fixes it and things turns out for the best. there are a few exceptions like in season 7...and D&C in season 4 (?) and the other side (season 4)but for the most part it's find someplace where everything basically sucks (like under goa'uld rule or some other hideous tyrant, or some disease has struck etc...) and then save the people from whatever is ailing them... >.<
                        My flickr photography.

Comment

I like the unsuccesful missions because you never expect it. So if they always win its not as entertiaing.

Comment

We need to have like half of the read being downhill and then need to gid out of the whole by our selves rather than geting help from our allys. Ok i'm done.
                            IamdumbbutIwanttobespecial

Sorry for the sarcasm, I am prepared to be called immature, juvinile and retarted for what must seem like some idiots ramblings.

"Carter tried to seduce me."
                            "You poor man"

"No no no no, he just doesn't like going through the Stargate."
                            "He's worse than Dr. McCoy."
                            "Who?"
                            "The character that Dr. Beckett plays in real life."

Comment

Originally posted by Anubis
                              I think that in season eight they should really screw up at least once. If SG-1 is to be a 3-person team then perhaps without O'Neill they aren't as a strong team. It can be disappointing that it always ends up with Earth winning yet another battle so maybe the Wraith in Atlantis should kick some butt
                              You got your wish as far as Season 8 goes----
                              Spoiler for season 8
                              "Gemini" delivered big time in the unsuccessful "missions" department, with major repercussions.......

Comment

the only thing is earth is at stake...i cant wait for them to expose the whole sg-1 project to the public...
                                "A general is only as good as the people he commands."

Comment

Working...
                                X