This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Season 8 replicator storyline

I think that it had more potential and it could have lasted longer than a few months. They rushed it too much, I understand that they did it because they didn't know if the show was going to be given another year or not but still, they could have brought back the replicators and say they survived in another galaxy or something. I personally think that the whole RepliCarter thing could have been used more than it was and it could have been explored with other Replicator characters.

Vala,

We do have Replicators they are called Asurans.;-)

Comment

Prior to Season 8, the Replicators had been featured in the Season 3 finale and Season 4 premiere, the Season 5 premiere and a late Season 5 episode, and once more in a mid-Season 6 episode which closed off the Replicator saga until Season 8. Instead of one or two episodes, we got five! I think that's plenty compared to previous seasons and the fact that there's only 20 episodes in Season 8. Replicarter also had plenty of episodes, introduced at the end of "New Order, Part 2," and then featured heavilly in three episodes. "Reckoning, Part 2" is a great ending to the Replicator saga.

I don't count the Asurans as Replicators despite the characters refering to them as such. They're both people made of nanites, but the similarities end there.

Comment

Originally posted by Vala_M View Post
        I think that it had more potential and it could have lasted longer than a few months. They rushed it too much, I understand that they did it because they didn't know if the show was going to be given another year or not but still, they could have brought back the replicators and say they survived in another galaxy or something. I personally think that the whole RepliCarter thing could have been used more than it was and it could have been explored with other Replicator characters.

Vala,
        i would have loved to have seen the replicarter storyline kept on. we aren't 100 percent sure that replicarter died in s8 (we saw a bright light encompass both daniel *and* replicarter when he was ascended), so...

replicarter is ascended, along with daniel, by mistake. she is deascened shortly after, but is turned into a real human. but with all of replicarters (and sam's) memories. so this 'sam', so to speak, is a bad a$$ed and confused person, who can't decide if she wants revenge or sanctuary.

(someone needs to write a fanfic of this )

sally
        sally

sigpic

Comment

How do you accidentally ascend someone? Oma's not that dumb, she's been around for millennia.

Comment

One thing you have to bear in mind is that the Replicators were originally meant to be the central antagonists in Atlantis when that series was initially planned to be set in the Milky Way. Of course, since SG-1 got renewed for an 8th season, Atlantis ended up being moved to the Pegasus galaxy and so TPTB decided modify things a little with the introduction of the Asurans.

As for the Replicators, I honestly felt that their five episodes from season 8 were nothing short of superb (of course, every Replicator episode in earlier seasons was excellent as well IMO), especially in 'Reckoning' which resolved most of 8 seasons' worth of central plot threads in a really fitting manner. And yes, even though the Reps only appeared in 10 episodes in total througohut all of SG-1, those episodes count as amongst my absolute faves and as antagonists, they were able to accomplish far more in such a short timespan than the Borg were ever able to do in their countless appearances throughout Voyager.

Personally, I was happy that their appearances were somewhat few and far in-between for the most part, as it'd have gotten tiresome after awhile if they just kept returning every alternate episode only to get continuously thwarted to the point where they'd seem more like a recurring joke rather than an actual threat, which is what happened with the Borg in the aforementioned Voyager. Although it looks as though the Asurans might be headed in the same direction as well, as I haven't been particularly impressed with them thus far, although that might be cos' I keep comparing them to the Reps.

Btw, before I forget, I'm personally convinced that at least one human-form Replicator survived the events of 'Reckoning' (possibly because he wasn't involved in the invasion of the MW), that individual being First. Don't ask me why, but I just feel that it would've been kinda dumb if he was sucked into the black hole in 'New Order Part I', considering the fact that he was extremely resourceful (I personally believe that he was the one who devised the plan to use the Asgard's time dilation device to allow them to escape from the black hole) and seemed far more intelligent than RepliCarter. That, and I somehow doubt that he'd have been the sort to blindly follow RepliCarter's orders.

Comment

Let's give the Asurans a chance, they've only appeared in four episodes (mentioned in "The Return, Part 2," but not seen). By the way, Fifth was killed by Replicarter at the end of "Gemini."

Voyager did not feature the Borg nearly as much as you think. Here's a list of Borg episodes.

Spoiler:
              Season 3 (26 Episodes)
              "Blood Fever" (A Borg corpse is found at the end of the episode.)
              "Unity"
              "Scorpion, Part I"

Season 4 (26 Episodes)
              "Scorpion, Part II"
              "The Gift" (Seven transforms from Borg to Voyager crew member.)
              "The Raven" (Flashbacks)
              "One" (Hallucinations)
              "Hope and Fear" (Cameo at the end.)

Season 5 (25 Episodes)
              "Drone"
              "Dark Frontier"

Season 6 (26 Episodes)
              "Survival Instinct" (Three ex-Borg and flashbacks.)
              "Collective"
              "Child's Play"
              "Unimatrix Zero, Part I"

Season 7 (24 Episodes)
              "Unimatrix Zero, Part II"
              "Imperfection" (Borg wreckage and corpses appear briefly.)
              "Flesh and Blood" (One of the holograms is a Borg.)
              "Shattered" (One of the time frames features Seven in full Borg mode as she appeared in "Scorpion, Part 2."
              "Q2" (The Borg make a brief cameo.)
              "Endgame"

That's 19 appearances, but only 10 episodes feature the Borg as the main plot. Voyager's victories against the Borg include liberating Seven of Nine at the start of Season 4. In Season 5's "Dark Frontier," Voyager destroyed a Borg Probe, stole a Borg transwarp conduit which got the ship closer to home, and liberated Seven from the Borg for a second time. In "Collective," Voyager is dealing with five Borg kids, and only the leader was really a threat. I forgot how they stopped the Sphere in "Child's Play." "Unimatrix Zero, Parts I & II" featured a Borg civil war, so Voyager had help. Finally, we come to "Endgame" where Voyager had the aide of Admiral Janeway from the future.

Did VOY overuse the Borg? No more than SG-1 overused the Goa'uld.

Comment

^That's "The Return Part 1" there.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson View Post
                  Let's give the Asurans a chance, they've only appeared in four episodes (mentioned in "The Return, Part 2," but not seen). By the way, Fifth was killed by Replicarter at the end of "Gemini."

Voyager did not feature the Borg nearly as much as you think. Here's a list of Borg episodes.

That's 19 appearances, but only 10 episodes feature the Borg as the main plot. Voyager's victories against the Borg include liberating Seven of Nine at the start of Season 4. In Season 5's "Dark Frontier," Voyager destroyed a Borg Probe, stole a Borg transwarp conduit which got the ship closer to home, and liberated Seven from the Borg for a second time. In "Collective," Voyager is dealing with five Borg kids, and only the leader was really a threat. I forgot how they stopped the Sphere in "Child's Play." "Unimatrix Zero, Parts I & II" featured a Borg civil war, so Voyager had help. Finally, we come to "Endgame" where Voyager had the aide of Admiral Janeway from the future.

Did VOY overuse the Borg? No more than SG-1 overused the Goa'uld.[/SPOILERS]
                  My main problem with the Borg wasn't strictly limited to their large number of episodes in which they appeared (which kinda took away from the whole aura of mystery and terror), but also with the way they were presented and developed throughout.

In the case of the Goa'uld, the System Lords proved time and time again to be extremely resourceful no matter how low they'd fallen (eg. Anubis, Baal and Apophis) and many of them had their own distinctive personalities and quirks and the species as a whole was given a lot of backstory and development. Heck, even up until the 7th season or so (despite having been the big bads for the most part from the get-go), they were still an extremely large galactic threat to nearly every other MW species in general as the dominant superpower, and it wasn't too often that we saw SG-1 successfully destroying their Ha'taks (and even if they did, it was either through sheer luck, an incredibly and brilliantly executed plan or a heckuva lot of effort).

As for the Borg, I was initially impressed with their debut once Q introduced Picard to the threat that they posed, and the episode in question had me wondering for quite a long time as to how the Federation was even capable of handling such a threat. Then along came 'The Best of Both Worlds', and I rolled my eyes once I saw how conveniently they resolved the situation at the end of it. After that, the Borg just seemed to start getting less and less effective as a true galactic threat (not to mentioned nerfed for that matter), suffering numerous setbacks and defeats despite having far superior numbers and resorting to rather illogical plans (like sending just *one* cube to invade Federation space one more than one occasion, despite having failed the first time around). After having watched 'First Contact', I couldn't really take them seriously anymore (despite most of the rest of the script being pretty good), and don't even get me started on Voyager (especially 'Endgame'). Or the fact that even after having been featured in so many episodes, we still knew practically zilch regarding their origins.

Comment

I agree, 5 episodes to feature them in season 8 was above the normal amount but they did too much too fast, plus, I find it hard to believe that no replicators stayed behind in the Ida galaxy. Plus, what if a replicator ship was in hyperspace or on a planet that didn't have a gate? Then they wouldn't have been affected.

And the Asurans aren't the same as the original Replicators, for one, they just immitate the Ancients, the original Replicators had their own style and design, they had the bug form and human form, I prefered the bug form more and everything they built was out of Replicator blocks, unlike the Asurans.

Vala,

Comment

Actually, the Dakara superweapon's energy wave affected the entire Milky Way galaxy, the primary reason that SG-1 dialled the entire Gate network was because they didn't want to take any chances and wanted the wave to cover as much of the galaxy in the shortest possible time so that the Replicators would not be able to adapt to it. There were surely a large number of planets without Stargates in the MW which the Reps would've also invaded, and as was mentioned in 'Threads', Anubis himself desired to use the superweapon in order to wipe out all life in the MW so that he could start over (which was also his originally intent during the Replicator invasion).

As for any Replicator vessels being in hyperspace at the time the wave spread across the galaxy however, that's a very good point. I guess TPTB could come up with a statement that the energy wave was powerful enough to affect even objects in hyperspace (with the Ancients having been so extermely advanced and all that), although yeah, I suspect it's a little point which they overlooked when they wrote the script. Although as TPTB have officially stated however, the Replicator storyline (along with RepliCarter and Anubis) has, for all intents and purposes, been concluded (at least for the timebeing).

Comment

Originally posted by Lord of Nightmares View Post
                        Actually, the Dakara superweapon's energy wave affected the entire Milky Way galaxy, the primary reason that SG-1 dialled the entire Gate network was because they didn't want to take any chances and wanted the wave to cover as much of the galaxy in the shortest possible time so that the Replicators would not be able to adapt to it. There were surely a large number of planets without Stargates in the MW which the Reps would've also invaded, and as was mentioned in 'Threads', Anubis himself desired to use the superweapon in order to wipe out all life in the MW so that he could start over (which was also his originally intent during the Replicator invasion).

As for any Replicator vessels being in hyperspace at the time the wave spread across the galaxy however, that's a very good point. I guess TPTB could come up with a statement that the energy wave was powerful enough to affect even objects in hyperspace (with the Ancients having been so extermely advanced and all that), although yeah, I suspect it's a little point which they overlooked when they wrote the script. Although as TPTB have officially stated however, the Replicator storyline (along with RepliCarter and Anubis) has, for all intents and purposes, been concluded (at least for the timebeing).
                        But it was stated many times that the weapon's range is only the entire surface of the planet and the surrounding space, meaning anything farther than a typical orbit wouldn't be affected. Not the whole solar system.

But my original point was that they rushed things too much, I don't understand why the writers want everyone to die when the show ends or at least might have ended. Leave it open. That's about the only thing I don't like about Stargate is that the writers think they need to screw up the show when they think it's ending. The WORST example ever is them killing all the Asgard. BIG mistake. I mean, what's more important, having all their things or having them alive? Earth probably won't be able to improve on the Asgard technology, it will need imporving at some point, if the new Stargate series is taking place in yet another galaxy, then I'm sure there will be an enemy worse than the Wraith, Ori and Goa'uld combined.

Vala,

Comment

There is a very good reason for wanting to kill off the Replicators. As production continued on Season 8, they were very sure that it would be the final season, now that Atlantis has had a season to establish itself. They wanted to go ahead and wrap up loose ends like the war with the Goa'uld and Replicators, Aunbis, Daniel's ascension plot, Oma DeSalla, and so forth. "Moebius, Parts 1 & 2" were even ment to be the series finale, using a time travel adventure as a way to get RDA back in the field and bring back old faces like Hammond, Kawalsky, the guy from the Pentagon, Apophis, and even Ra! We even got to see them fly around in a Puddle Jumper. After "Moebius, Part 2," the show would have been fully resolved, allowing the movies to tell one-off stories. When your TV show is ending, it's generally a good idea to end your story arcs, because you don't want to dump them onto the spin-off and force that creative team to deal with your loose ends. What about SG-1 viewers that don't like Atlantis? They'd be left without resolution. Killing off the Replicators in "Reckoning, Part 2" was a smart move. Could some have survived? Sure. However, if they did, I think we'd have heard from them by now.

If anyone would like to read up on the Replicator episodes, he's a complete list of appearances:

Spoiler:
                          Season 3
                          "Nemesis"

Season 4
                          "Small Victories"

Season 5
                          "Enemies"
                          "Menace"

Season 6
                          "Unnatural Selection"

Season 8
                          "New Order, Part 1"
                          "New Order, Part 2"
                          "Gemini"
                          "Reckoning, Part 1"
                          "Reckoning, Part 2"

Comment

I'm disappointed that there was no closure for Daniel Jackson. He was killed by a copy of one of his best friends, and he doesn't harbor some serious psychological issues from that event?

Comment

Why? He knows they're different people, obviously.

Comment

Working...
                              X