Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They don't want to? Sure, robotic body has its advantages, but I like mine fragile organic body thank you very much. If you download your mind into a machine, you are no longer human. Think about this, it is a very big deal.

"ARRRG! My dry cleaning bill this month is over $10,000!"

Comment

Originally posted by 220683
      They don't want to? Sure, robotic body has its advantages, but I like mine fragile organic body thank you very much. If you download your mind into a machine, you are no longer human. Think about this, it is a very big deal.
      Aren't you? What is it that makes you human?

Star Trek spent a lot of time on this subject in relation to both Data and The Doctor. Being human is (perhaps) something more then a matter of DNA.

Comment

Yes, nobody can agree on the exact definition. But personally part of what makes me human come from the limitations of my fragile body. If you have a body that can be easily repaired and upgraded, you can skip a lot of moral decisions. Can you be called courageous if you have no fear to begin with? If you have to lose an arm or a leg to save somebody else, do you even care since you can be repaired just like that?

For someone else, probably. For me, even if my mind stay intact I would not considered myself human anymore. For starters I would have a entirely different set of moral values, not to mention people would judge me differently.

"ARRRG! My dry cleaning bill this month is over $10,000!"

Comment

Originally posted by 220683
          Yes, nobody can agree on the exact definition. But personally part of what makes me human come from the limitations of my fragile body. If you have a body that can be easily repaired and upgraded, you can skip a lot of moral decisions. Can you be called courageous if you have no fear to begin with? If you have to lose an arm or a leg to save somebody else, do you even care since you can be repaired just like that?

For someone else, probably. For me, even if my mind stay intact I would not considered myself human anymore. For starters I would have a entirely different set of moral values, not to mention people would judge me differently.
          There is nothing inherantly "moral" about being courageous, just as there is nothing immoral about being a coward.

Morality is about how we treat and interact with others. And that wouldn't change significantly. There would be higher tolerances for certain types of behaviour, but the variance in the multitude of cultures today is already very great. I don't really see that morality enters into it unless the form we inhabit somehow makes us either incapable of immoral acts or compells us to commit them.

Comment

Chances are they just dropped that story arc like they do with everything else. The most we can hope for is that the problem is address in S8. Unless of course there's an S9, but which I doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by Mio
              Why? We're speculating on the future. IE: Season 8.
              Sorry, I must have been really tired when I started on that line of thinking or I had too many Windows open and couldn't remember which thread I was posting on. It happens. I must have been thinking Pegasus instead of Asgard...oops!

Gotta learn when it's time to hit the old stasis chamber, I guess.
              Last edited by Ancient 1; 01 September 2004, 02:17 PM.

"We'll keep the light on for you."

Comment

Working...
              X