Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happened in Season 9? A few thoughts.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AGateFan
    Glad you enjoyed it.
    But that "best season in Stargate history" dropped in ratings DURING that season and the drop has continued into this season likely due to that season. So maybe not everyone agrees.
    And what about Atlantis?

Comment

Originally posted by gategeologist2
      Most fans do not love it.

Unfortunately (and I really do mean that), viewership has dropped dramatically.

The ratings/viewership over Season 9, dropped steadily throughout Season 9 and then, the viewership dropped more than 25% from the end of Season 9 to the beginning of Season 10 (from GW's article links via the front GW home page)... and the viewership is still dropping with each successive episode in Season 10.

It's really too bad ... really too bad... that The 'New SG-1' wasn't presented as it's own show, with it's own name. Perhaps it would have found it's own viewership - instead of creating a schism in the Stargate fanbase between many of those who love the original team and those who wanted new folks as the central stars.

Perhaps Mitchell/BB and Vala/CB could have been the central main stars in a new Stargate series that would have created it's own wonderful, dedicated fan base. And those who still wanted more of the original characters in center stage wouldn't feel cheated every time they try to watch an episode.

I'm one of the folks who loved the show through Seasons 1-8, and it's now so dispiriting to get excited about a new episode of SG-1, but then when it airs... it's a different show.

Lots of folks have tuned out. At what point will the viewership fall to the point that it won't be renewed? We have no way of knowing.

No matter how low the viewership falls, there will still be some folks who steadfastly adore the New Version.
      It's inaccurate because a nielsen rating point represented less viewers in season 6 and 7 than it does now. It means than season 8 was the most watched season, then season 9, 7 and 6. Season 10 is still getting more viewers than season 6 and as much as season 7 if not more. The ratings points are very misleading.

Also, I remember very well people complaining about season 7 being the worst Sg-1 season (aka Samgate aka Lovegate) then it was season 8 (too much Earth stories and not enough Jack), then season 9 (Ben Browder hate, no Jack) and now it's season 10 time.

I, for one, think season 9 was way better than season 8... and season 10 so far is not disappointing me. On the contrary. I guess people just doesn't like change at all. But without changes, Stargate SG-1 wouldn't be in its 10th season and Stargate Atlantis wouldn't exist.

Comment

I want to make something clear. I'm not saying that I totally hated season 9. Nor am I saying that bringing back RDA will be the second coming for the show.

What I'm saying is, in season 9, too many things didn't make sense story wise, and the drop in viewership shows that. Some say season 8 was for tying up loose ends, well a lot of those ends weren't tied, they were just ignored. Whether the new enemy plot lines in season 9 were interesting or not, is beside the point. The point is, all the show was was enemy plot line. The people who miss the personal stories and interactions between the characters, are letting the networks know it by not watching.

Mitchell and Vala aren't killing the show. They both crack me up. What they are doing is taking time away from the main characters that the audience has grown to love. People don't generally take too kindly to that. The main characters who have been there for so long need to really be the main course. Mitchell and Vala need to be side dishes.
        SG1_Jag Fan

Comment

Working...
        X