Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The reason less poeple are watching it probably has more to do with last season than this season...

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX
      There could be lots of reasons why people stopped watching.
      i think is cause we wanted carter to actully have a command in the SGC, season 8 realy dosnt count, cause she realy went through the gate. but when some hick comes, that makes all us southern states look bad, that realy pissed me off causes he did wut ever he wanted to do and almost got killed for it he is an idoit, and the fact that vala is a full timer dosnt realy bother me that much. but mitchel and that ori r realy not that intersting, pluse carter not getting the roll as the leader of SG1 is wut i think as the worst thing to happen to this show (i dont hate the actors or actrosses but the way they write them)

also i the fact that daniel will be an ori at the end of the season (2nd to last)
      b4
      after

Comment

I don't think it's just the story lines. Promotion gets new viewers and if you keep loosing viewers every season and don't get any new ones - then ratings drop.

New viewers need to be enticed to look a show, and unless all you watch is SciFi, there's no way to know about it.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatLordGeorgerheaus
          Heres the simple reason... Ever since the end of season 7 (When the numbers started to decline) Stargate has aired on fridays! every major network puts thier crappy shows on friday because they know people arent home on that day. Its just the facts. I myself have been faced with the dillema of staying home for stargate or going out with friends numerous times, almost every week.I usually end up watching the late night episodes. Thats why the ratings are low.

I dont undertand why they dont put Stargate on another night, its not like they have much more on thier schedules.
          Stargate has always been on Fridays on Scifi and has increased in viewership every year until S9. Season 8 (after season 7) was the highest rated season ever.
          Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Well said AGateFan.Vacations and Summer and the Show starting at 9:00 instead of 8:00 and no BSG does not fly for reasons the ratings are down IMO.The Show did fine in the ratings before Season 9.I never remembered any comments about the ratings being a problem.SG-1 gained new viewers every year until Season 9 and Season 9 lost viewers.Facts are facts.

Comment

Other than Threads, I personally prefered Season 9 to Season 8. Maybe it's because I'm a big Farscape fan, but I really like Vala and Mitchell. I think they both feel very natural in the Stargate universe.

Comment

Originally posted by Anubis15
                i think is cause we wanted carter to actully have a command in the SGC, season 8 realy dosnt count, cause she realy went through the gate. but when some hick comes, that makes all us southern states look bad, that realy pissed me off causes he did wut ever he wanted to do and almost got killed for it he is an idoit, and the fact that vala is a full timer dosnt realy bother me that much. but mitchel and that ori r realy not that intersting, pluse carter not getting the roll as the leader of SG1 is wut i think as the worst thing to happen to this show (i dont hate the actors or actrosses but the way they write them)

also i the fact that daniel will be an ori at the end of the season (2nd to last)
                b4
                after
                I for one am glad she didn't get command of SG-1, she never looked that comfortable in season 8 imo, to me she's better off being the science expert of the team rather than being the leader aswell...

Comment

Originally posted by ParadoxRealities
                  you don't "sign up" Nielson boxes; it's random.
                  Everything I've seen so far indicates that you have to havea contract agreement with your cable provider for it, I could be wrong, but thats basically what I've read...
                  and how big an area are we talking about here?
                  No idea all i know is he said it could be because to many people are tuning in in the area, and my whole subdivision has new wiring, that has been the root of all problems dealing with Cable in the area...
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGgHAXalVyM

"And those who are prideful and refuse to bow down shall be laid low and made onto dust." Then Shall Fall Scifi!

If you don't worship Metonic... your parents won't love you anymore.. well they dont now...

Comment

Originally posted by Rachel500
                    It's not that I cannot accept change, (I sat through a number of changes in the Trek universe without throwing my toys out of the pram) but when change happens its got to be handled well. As RCC said in a trade article, you have to respect what has come before and I did feel that a lot of the writing in Season 9 didn't respect what had come before; especially for the older characters such as Sam, Teal'c, Daniel and even Jack. While I accept they did try at the beginning of the Season to mention Jack this fell away rapidly after Beachhead and the only other mention of him is an AU reference.
                    Rachel500 makes a very good point. Change handled badly is what bothers people, not change per se.

My favorite example of change handed well is ER. No matter how many people have come and gone over the years, there are always plenty of well developed characters to keep your interest, and the storylines are always compelling! It's been 12 years, and they still give me reasons to care and to tune in next week. I think it's largely because they consistently honor their past. They cared enough about the fans to persuade George Clooney to come back and wrap up his storyline (and Clooney, like RDA, was gentleman enough to do it).

When they killed off the character of Mark Greene, the letter from his wife telling the hospital staff how he died was dramatic, poignant and a fitting tribute to a much-loved character. That's what I call substance. That's what I call respect for fans. That's why I trust these producers.

What season 10 holds in store for us, we're still waiting to see.....

Comment

Everyone is missisng the point. Why is Stargate & Stargate-Atlantis
                      getting killed in the ratings & losing to these Frakkin guys???

USA nielsen ratings for week ending 7/28/06:

8:30 The Suite Life of Zack & Cody 3.5 (Disney!!!)
                      9:00 Monk 5.3
                      10:00 Psych 5.0

USA nielsen ratings for 7/22/06:

8:30 The Suite Life/Hannah Montana special 7.0 (Disney!!!)
                      9:00 Monk 5.2
                      10:00 Psych 4.4
                      10:30 The Suite Life of Zack & Cody-extended version 4.2 (Disney!!!)

The new SCI-FI wrestling show ECW is averaging 2.4 & Eureka is a hit.

Not having BSG @ 10:00 has definitely hurt SG1 & SDA.

The immediate problem is what can SCI-FI Channel do,
                      or isn't doing to get the ratings up???
                      Last edited by Maj.Tahn; 09 August 2006, 08:34 PM.

Comment

I definetely believe that more advertising needs to be done. Maybe for starters, new forum sigs (can be made by people here) that advertise the show can be made and distributed across the Internet.

Comment

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn
                          I think the problem with Stargate has more to do with decisions made off-screen than the stories that are appearing on-screen.

*snip*

Maybe they're just afraid of being disappointed again.....

The opinions above are mine, although I know they are shared by many other fans. Those who disagree may red ding me if they so choose, but we were asked what was wrong, and I simply offered my humble opinion.
                          Originally posted by Rachel500
                          I agree with a lot of sg1-fanintn posted.

*snip*

There are a lot of factors about why ratings drop but whether fans are still enjoying the show or not has to be a huge part of it.

I think you two have really capture the essentials of why the rates have dropped this low. Both post were very well thought out and well written. I really agree with the points that were presented as the reasons why people, some long time fans, are no longer watching.
                          In the Kingdom of Hope, there is no Winter

Life is too short for drama & petty things,
                          so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, love truly & forgive quickly!

Attendee of Shore Leave28, AT2 and AVALON
                          Proud Member of the Sam is a Great Character Thread
                          Hic Comitas Regit
                          Member of the Ship, Ship Hooray Special Ops Team
                          Member of Gategrrlz Gone Wild (proud Shore Leave 28 attendee).

Comment

I know the ratings drop isn't the quality of the eps. So far, I've thought the 4 episodes we've seen have been very well done. Especially "The Pegasus Project", which is already among my Top 15 SG-1 Episodes of All-Time.
                            sigpic
                            MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                            "...phu...ah..."
                            "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                            Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man
                              I know the ratings drop isn't the quality of the eps. So far, I've thought the 4 episodes we've seen have been very well done. Especially "The Pegasus Project", which is already among my Top 15 SG-1 Episodes of All-Time.
                              Quality is if the eye of the beholder - what you see as quality and a good show others, including me, see as low quality (and a lot less quality than the previous 8 years) and crapola. Plain and simple just because you thinks it's quality and you like it doesn't mean it is. There are hundreds of thousands of people who, for whatever reason, have abandoned this show and I know for a fact that some of them are long time fans who watched for 8 years. The competition didn't make me stop watching that's for sure - right now I don't watch anything on Friday night even if I am at home - sad commentary on the state of the show that even though I am not watching anything else I still will not watch Stargate even after being a longtime fan and I won't watch because I think the whole thing is bunk.

I agree with what others have said, the people in charge of this show have taken their loyal fans for granted by assuming they would accept anything including the wallpapering and the writing out of character of the 3 main characters who made the show a success in the first place. What I think is worst is that they have shown the 3 original charaters out of character and "stupid" or weak or jerky so that the new shiny toys will look better even though they can't compete with the original 3. It's scary that the new characters are so weak and out of place that the 3 originals have to treated like second class citizens to make the newbies look good. The number of plot holes has grown to an astoundingly ridiculous number and they are bigger now than in the past (yes the show had plot holes in past seasons but now it is out of control and indicates lazy, take-the-easy-way-out writing). The Ori are also a joke and the Lucien Alliance is silly. The Camelot theme is nonsensical and the show has devolved into a parody, spoof in too many ways and that's really sad to watch.

Comment

Quality is definitly subjective also. I mean, you could look at Stargate now and realize that a lot of work and thought goes into camera angles and special effects so, in a sense, the quality is still there. A TV show, however, is more than the storyline and effects. For most people it's a connection to the characters that capture and keep a fans attention. Brad Wright himself said the reason that Stargate was so popular was that these were "characters that the fans cared about and invited into their livingrooms each week." I don't feel any connection to these characters, even the ones that I have watched for 8 years. I WANT TO. It isn't as though I suddenly decided not to. I think most fans have truly tried, tuning in through season 9, week after week, trying to grab onto something that used to be there. For me, and I'm sure others, I don't feel anger...just sadness.

Comment

Working...
                                X