Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay, I can see why it wouldn't be awarded if an action has to be within an actual battle.

But (and this is from a non military and frankly, someone who thinks some military codes are strange, view) I see a difference between doing something against orders that just happens to work out well, and doing something that you know and have considered could do damage to your career, and deciding that to put yourself last. I wouldn't ream anyone out on that account. Especially in a situation like WTSG, where they weren't in battle. So, I say they did deserve whatever medal they got (Air Medal?). And, of course, some civilian award or medal for Daniel or Teal'c.

I don't remember the situation of A Matter of Time or Into the Fire, but I'd say them going through the Gate was a different type of situation from Daniel telling Catherine about the program. And, Into the Fire, since that could be putting one person ahead of the good of the others. But, their actions in WTSG was for the good of the whole. I wouldn't be doing any court martialling or firing (Daniel and Teal'c) in that situation.

And, I know. Me off topic. *slaps wrist*

edited to correct idiot moment.
    Last edited by Dani347; 16 July 2006, 07:17 PM.
    I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

It's spelt Court Martial. Unless you are marshalling the courts for an attack on something.

Sorry, just something that bugs me

Comment

about the only time i can think of sam doing something award worthy (as in beyond her air medal) was in 2001, when she and ambassador shiny shoes headed off to face the Aschen, knowing/suspecting that they were headed into a trap.

and then falling through the gate to warn earth, knowing that she could very well get killed on the way back.

don't think it quite measures up to jack's second trip in the head sucker or his little Starflight mission, but it's close.

even still, that wouldn't be cmoh worthy for sam, just a commendation or a second air medal
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Albion
          I see this as taking cheap shots at those who don't share your opinion. I guess it's easier than setting out your own arguments to rebut, huh? Doesn't require quite so much brain power.

Actually, it's not taking cheap shots at the new guy. It's just a little thing - which you've apparently never heard of - called constructive criticism. The point we're making is an entirely valid one. The awarding of this medal to Mitchell in the circumstances depicted on screen make no sense and is just one more indication that in S9 the writers and producers abandoned any sense that they were doing their best to get the military detail right. And that's saddening to me because that grounding in military 'reality' over eight years and eight seasons was always something precious that elevated SG1 above the run of the mill SF show.

And, sorry, but this tired old excuse for bad writing has never washed with me, no matter how often people use it for SG1 and on any other show. If there's a sound reason for having something happen to your character - show it on screen! If you do, I might even buy it. But if you don't, then don't expect me to do the hard work and fill in your blanks for you. <shrug> Instead, I'll just assume you've been sloppy in your writing, not properly taken the time to think the idea through or gone to your advisors, and curse you for it.

BTW, what the heck happened to the How Come? room in S9? If it had still been in existance we might have seen some of the more puzzling aspects of the season red-lined before they ever made it to the screen to embarrass the writers of certain scripts.

Albion
          'nuff said.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
            It's spelt Court Martial. Unless you are marshalling the courts for an attack on something.

Sorry, just something that bugs me

Ugh. Sad thing is, I know that. I have no idea why I spelled it that way.
            I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Originally posted by Dani347
              Ugh. Sad thing is, I know that. I have no idea why I spelled it that way.
              Probably because I did and I was in the military. I just cant spell. Good thing I just moved to a new job writing technical documents for a living. .
              Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

I wasn't hating on "the new guy." They only just aired the S9 episode 'Origin' here in Australia, so the events in 'Avalon' were still in my mind. I felt Avalon made the character of Mitchell seem awkward and very out of place. Origin completely reversed that for me though, and I eagerly await the rest of Season 9

I think it is probably an oversight by the writers that a CMoH was awarded to Mitchell, in fact it was probably a goof in the script, since the President usually the only person who awards Medals of Honor.

Since he obviously knows about the Stargate program, and the events which occurred (and saved the world) in Antarctica, theres no reason why he shouldn't have been the one presenting it to Mitchell.

Since it was Sam, it was probably supposed to be an Air Medal. (Although Jack's insistence that after Mitchell recovers he can do "anything" semi-refutes this)

I haven't noticed this before, but if Mitchell does indeed wear the ribbon, it might confirm it as a mistake.

I would stand by questioning the merit of a MoH (from what flashbacks we saw in Avalon), mainly because the stories of 'real' recipients are most often insanely above and beyond normal expectations

Link:
                http://www.homeofheroes.com/a_homepage/quick_links.html

Comment

yeah, and that is the issue that most of us have with the cmoh.

certainly not that he got a medal. he did do a very brave thing. and he risked his life to do it. it's just that it's THAT award.

it's kinda like a while back when fans wanted daniel to get the nobel peace prize. A noble sentiment - no pun intended - yet when you look at the qualifications for that awards, nothing daniel's done qualifies.

so AN award? sure. just not that particular one

sigpic

Comment

Would Congress have to approve or at least be informed of any presentations of the CMOH?

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                      it's kinda like a while back when fans wanted daniel to get the nobel peace prize.
                      lol, you 4 rly? That seems just... a bit of a reach...

Comment

it really happened. and while yeah, daniel has done some great things and coudl deserve an aware, the nobel peace prize was just a bit much....just like cam's cmoh.

both of them deserve the accolades, justnot that one particular award

sigpic

Comment

This has always made me cringe. Debating whether Mitchell deserved it or not is moot.

Taken from http://www.medalofhonor.com
                          "The Medal of Honor, established by joint resolution of Congress, 12 July 1862 (amended by Act of 9 July 1918 and Act of 25 July 1963) is awarded in the name of Congress to a person who, while a member of the Armed Services, distinguishes himself conspicuously by gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while engaged in an action against any enemy of The United States; while engaged in military operations involving conflict with an opposing foreign force; or while serving with friendly foreign forces engaged in an armed conflict against an opposing armed force in which The United States is not a belligerent party. The deed performed must have been one of personal bravery or self-sacrifice so conspicuous as to clearly distinguish the individual above his comrades and must have involved risk of life. Incontestable proof of the performance of service is exacted and each recommendation for award of this decoration is considered on the standard of extraordinary merit."

Did Mitchell (or Jack or Sam or anyone else) deserve the CMoH? Yes. Did they meet these qualifications? Given that our war against the Goa'uld is not known, let alone recognized by Congress, I can't see how! The action must be fully documented and all 'proof' is then vetted by a special committee. Once the recipient is recognized as meeting ALL the above standards, the citation and specifications of merit are read into the Congressional Record. This is a VERY public award. Because it is awarded by the President at the direction of Congress, quite frankly, I cannot immagine how it would be possible to award this in secret without full disclosure of the Stargate Program.

The closest equivilant that I CAN see being given in secret would be the Presidential Medal of Freedom (with distinction) This is a civilian award but has been given to military personnel who, for one reason or another, did not meet the requirements of the CMoH.

End of rant

edit: Corrected URL link

Comment

Originally posted by SylvreWolfe
                            Ah, I see this as nothing more than an excuse to take cheap shots at the new guy.

Several of us have often mentioned that there must be something not being told. The thing I get is why is he not ever wearing it? Why did Major Carter give it to him?

One little side note. The MoH has been given as candy at least once, maybe twice, that I know of.
                            The Capt of the USS Liberty was given one for staying on the bridge of his ship until relieved during an attack. Basically it was given to him for a bribe to try to keep him quiet about on unprovoked attack on his ship by our ally, Israel.

Thankyou atleast someone agrees with my thoughts, This is TV for cryign out loud you just have to take it as it comes.

--Gaz--

Comment

Originally posted by Cam_Mitchell
                              Thankyou atleast someone agrees with my thoughts, This is TV for cryign out loud you just have to take it as it comes.
                              I think it's actually a Willing Suspension Of Disbelief thing. Certainly tv shows can do any weird thing they want to, it's a tv show after all, but will the audience set aside their disbelief and buy it as a plausible part of the story?

The writers could have the President show up at the SGC wearing speedos and carrying a machine gun if they wanted, but even though there is a real-life President of the U.S., and speedos exist, and machine guns exist, I'd still want a good story to explain why all three of them are together if I'm going to apply Willing Suspension Of Disbelief to that particular scenario.

I think the writers just made a mistake with the MoH. Maybe someone confused it with a different medal. Mistakes happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Cam_Mitchell
                                Unfortunately this sort of thing makes the difference between good TV and bad TV. And if there's too much bad, people don't take it. They change channel or switch off. And don't buy the DVDs.
                                scarimor

Comment

Working...
                                X