This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by freyr's mother
    That doesn't mean that someone else that is smart can suggest a tactic to Emerson.

No, Marks only said that the sub-light system was down. Nothing was mentioned about the hyperdrive. They still had a functioning hyperdrive.
    Well I'm not saying they aren't smart enough to think of it, but to actually carry it out in such a short time...I think you would need Carter. You would have to do some pretty fast calculations considering you are in the middle of a battle and the only person I know who could manipulate the hyperdrive to such an extent is Carter. Also just because they say the hyperdrive isn't down doesn't mean it's still functional. They were getting a pretty strong beating and it seems unlikely that the hyperdrive, being one of the most sensitive pieces of tech on board, would not be affected.

Comment

You also need sublight engines to actually REACH the hyperspace window once you create it (hence the reason Rodney had to wait for the volcano to erupt to launch the Orion).

Comment

Originally posted by Avatar28
        You also need sublight engines to actually REACH the hyperspace window once you create it (hence the reason Rodney had to wait for the volcano to erupt to launch the Orion).
        How do you explain what carter did in Grace then?

Best Stargate quote:
        Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
        Green is your friend.

Comment

How do you explain what carter did in Grace then?
          Ya well that’s Carter. As I said before, if you are going to do anything that’s not normal with the hyperdrive you are going to need her. They should just forget about firing on the Ori ships and go find Carter. Get her onboard and give her a computer console. She will have those Ori shields down in no time. Well assuming our ships have deflectors....because ya you definitely need deflectors to techno-babble an enemy shield

Comment

Originally posted by Tassadar
            Ya well that’s Carter. As I said before, if you are going to do anything that’s not normal with the hyperdrive you are going to need her. They should just forget about firing on the Ori ships and go find Carter. Get her onboard and give her a computer console. She will have those Ori shields down in no time. Well assuming our ships have deflectors....because ya you definitely need deflectors to techno-babble an enemy shield
            If you were going to command a ship in the sgu, wouldn't you want access to all mission reports ever filed by every team to gain the biggest tactical advantage you can.

In Grace, Ronson is like, execute evasive maneuver delta. They could probably program something into the ships computer that doesn't use either the hyperdrive or the sub-light drive.

Best Stargate quote:
            Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
            Green is your friend.

Comment

If you were going to command a ship in the sgu, wouldn't you want access to all mission reports ever filed by every team to gain the biggest tactical advantage you can.

In Grace, Ronson is like, execute evasive maneuver delta. They could probably program something into the ships computer that doesn't use either the hyperdrive or the sub-light drive.
              Hmm I seem to be misunderstanding what you are saying. How would you execute evasive maneuvers w/o some sort of propulsion? Also the commanders of the ships didn't have time to give the command for it in Camelot. Recall that Ronson didn't say evasive maneuvers until after they got shot. In Camelot you get shot once and you are pretty much done for.

Comment

Hmm I seem to be misunderstanding what you are saying. How would you execute evasive maneuvers w/o some sort of propulsion? Also the commanders of the ships didn't have time to give the command for it in Camelot. Recall that Ronson didn't say evasive maneuvers until after they got shot. In Camelot you get shot once and you are pretty much done for.
                What I was trying to say is pre program a maneuver that doesn't use the hyperdrive or sub-light into the computer and then have the commander/helmsmen hit a button to activate it.

Best Stargate quote:
                Green is your friend.

Comment

What I was trying to say is pre program a maneuver that doesn't use the hyperdrive or sub-light into the computer and then have the commander/helmsmen hit a button to activate it.
                  Ah I see. That makes sense and I think they have systems like that. It wouldn't be too smart to make a battleship w/o it. However they still didn't have enough time to do anything in Camelot. The beam would have hit the ship before the helmsman could push the button. Not to mention I doubt our engines could respond that quickly anyways. The only ship that did respond was the Agard ship but that's probably because it has an advanced computer that pretty much does everything. No offense to the little guys but I can't see Asgards hitting buttons quickly. As for a pre-programmed hyperspace evasive maneuvers program...hmm well there's nothing that says we can't have such a program but I just don't see much practical applications for it. The hyperspace engine takes a lot of energy and thus would weaken your shields. Also I think a ship is vulnerable right when it comes out of hyperspace so jumping in and out during a fight in a slow moving Earth ship is probably not a smart thing to do. They would just target you right when you jump out and ya....remember that Replicator ship and the Oneills? If they are going to use the hyperdrive for anything it should be to retreat.

Comment

The hyperspace engine takes a lot of energy and thus would weaken your shields. Also I think a ship is vulnerable right when it comes out of hyperspace so jumping in and out during a fight in a slow moving Earth ship is probably not a smart thing to do. They would just target you right when you jump out and ya....remember that Replicator ship and the Oneills? If they are going to use the hyperdrive for anything it should be to retreat.
                    If they needed to retreat because of shield depletion, they could make a quick jump out of range of the Ori ships, recharge the shields, make repairs, and radio for assistance. There were only what, like 15-20 ships at that battle. The asgard should have sent more as well as the FJN. The FJN has a frickin stockpile of ships.

Best Stargate quote:
                    Green is your friend.

Comment

If they needed to retreat because of shield depletion, they could make a quick jump out of range of the Ori ships, recharge the shields, make repairs, and radio for assistance. There were only what, like 15-20 ships at that battle. The asgard should have sent more as well as the FJN. The FJN has a frickin stockpile of ships.
                      Hm ya I agree jumping out would have been the smart thing to do. As for the ships I think the Asgard and the FJN did the right thing. They did not know what they were facing if they were going to face anything at all. FJN has maybe 100 ships max at their disposal. I'm not saying that there’s only a 100 Hataks out there but many of those Hataks most likely have fallen under Lucien Alliance control or other smaller groups. Also the FJN has only been around for a year. They still haven't even completed their capitol yet. To have total control over a fleet of say 200 ships spread across the entire galaxy is just not feasible for them at the time being. In fact I think 100 ships is a bit much but it's a nice round number. I don't remember how many ships there were in Camelot but I'm guessing 5-10 FJN Hataks. So that’s 5-10% of their total fleet. Committing more ships would actually not make sense since they weren't even expecting a battle. Plus if I was a FJN leader I would be thinking hmm so there’s a huge Stargate, which would suggest ships but for all I know they can send a huge bomb through and wipe out my entire fleet or have a black hole or something on the otherside. There's simply just too many unknowns. For some reason Earth leaders are a little less smart and decided to put the only two ships we have, considering Daedalus is in Pegasus, in the same spot and look how well that turned out. It doesn’t make sense to commit to a battle w/o at least some sort of intelligence on what you will be facing. The Asgard and FJN nation actually had the right idea IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Avatar28
                        Well, thats only b/c it doesnt occur to us to have the hyperspace window created such that it is moving towards us...
                        http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....30&postcount=9
                        http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....9&postcount=18
                        Originally posted by Jonzey
                        Hardcore nudity means not just without clothes, but without skin. You can't get much more hardcore nude than that.

Comment

Originally posted by jebus
                          Well, thats only b/c it doesnt occur to us to have the hyperspace window created such that it is moving towards us...
                          Grace anyone?

Best Stargate quote:
                          Green is your friend.

Comment

Grace anyone?
                            Could you describe what you're talking about in Grace cause I just watched it and don't know what you are talking about, although I'm probably just forgetting something.

Comment

Originally posted by Konman72
                              Could you describe what you're talking about in Grace cause I just watched it and don't know what you are talking about, although I'm probably just forgetting something.
                              I think he means that Carter was able to shift the ship partly into another dimension or whatever without actually moving the ship.

Comment

I think he means that Carter was able to shift the ship partly into another dimension or whatever without actually moving the ship.
                                Then how was she able to move the ship out of the gas cloud?

Best Stargate quote:
                                Green is your friend.

Comment

Working...
                                X