Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd say the aliens from 'Spirits' are most likely to be Furlings because they can activate the stargate remotely with a hand device without an unstable vortex. The only other races that we have seen do that are the Asgard, the Nox and the Tau'ri (Cassandra) in the future.

Notice any other commonalities between those 3? They are all known members of the alliance of the 4 races (5 now). It would stand to reason that the Ancients shared a greater understanding of the stargate with the other members of the alliance, they were the ones who built them after all.

Comment

You have to remember the device Cassandria had was of Asgard origin. The downfall of the Asgard was known of for a while so it was only logical that, that farin the future we would have Asgard technology
      sigpic
      Spoiler:
      President of the 'AFTU Writers Association'
      President of the 'Count to 15,000 Legends' club
      Forum Charmer
      Forum Ambassador
      Prince of The Hugglings

CURA STORY LINE, ATFU Pg 53 - Pg 804 (751pages)
      VAMPIRE STORYLINE PT1, AFTU Pg 804 - 912
      VAMPIRE STORYLINE PT 2, AFTU - Pg 855

Comment

Originally posted by Xachariah View Post
        I'd say the aliens from 'Spirits' are most likely to be Furlings because they can activate the stargate remotely with a hand device without an unstable vortex. The only other races that we have seen do that are the Asgard, the Nox and the Tau'ri (Cassandra) in the future.

Notice any other commonalities between those 3? They are all known members of the alliance of the 4 races (5 now). It would stand to reason that the Ancients shared a greater understanding of the stargate with the other members of the alliance, they were the ones who built them after all.
        We are not the 5th member of the alliance. We were allied to the Asgard, sure, but we weren't allied to the Furlings or Ancients, and we didn't really have much of an alliance with the Nox if we had one at all ...

And why is it assumed that only members of the 4 great races (and in the future, presumably w/ the help of the Asgard, the Tau'ri) can develop such technology? The Tollan, for example, probably could have done something very similar. And then there was the unknown races we've seen evidence of throughout the show -- the ship that attacked prometheus in Grace, the ship we saw in both Enemies and Unnatural Selection, the "giant aliens", etc.

They all showed technology that is probably on the level of the Asgard and these other aliens. They are all equally capable of being the Furlings, or it could be possible that we haven't yet met the Furlings... hopefully we'll see something about them in SGU.
        "The true nature of a man is decided in the battle between his conscious mind and the desires of his subconscious." - Stargate

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Friedrich Nietzsche

"Judge of a man by his questions rather than by his answers." - Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by zoislk View Post
          We are not the 5th member of the alliance.
          um yeah we are thor specifaclly said we are in the last episode. just because we never met the furlings doesn't mean they weren't observing us like the asgard were, hell, for all we know the asgard were giving the furlings the information they had on us.
          Vice Admiral and occasionally the Acting Leader of the Gateworld Cantina
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Coremae View Post
            Merlin after helping Daniel, was ascended by the FURLINGS and now enjoy an existence far above the others. More like a level 9 instead of an all powerful level 10
            merlin could not of ascended because adria's men found his body
            Vice Admiral and occasionally the Acting Leader of the Gateworld Cantina
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tombombadail View Post
              um yeah we are thor specifaclly said we are in the last episode. just because we never met the furlings doesn't mean they weren't observing us like the asgard were, hell, for all we know the asgard were giving the furlings the information they had on us.

No, they said "You are the fifth race". Not that we were the fifth race in a great alliance with the Nox, Asgard, Ancients and Furlings.

Again, to be part of an alliance, you have to make an alliance. You can't just say "they *points over there* said we were their friends and have great potential, so we are allied with you guys now!! we're cool!"

We never met the Furlings (that we know of for sure), so obviously we don't have an alliance with them. And the Nox didn't want much to do with us, because we were so "young" and we weren't ready. And the Ancients live in their own little world/plane of existence. We were only allied with the Asgard. That's it.
              "The true nature of a man is decided in the battle between his conscious mind and the desires of his subconscious." - Stargate

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

We are not the 5th member of the alliance. We were allied to the Asgard, sure, but we weren't allied to the Furlings or Ancients, and we didn't really have much of an alliance with the Nox if we had one at all ...

And why is it assumed that only members of the 4 great races (and in the future, presumably w/ the help of the Asgard, the Tau'ri) can develop such technology? The Tollan, for example, probably could have done something very similar. And then there was the unknown races we've seen evidence of throughout the show -- the ship that attacked prometheus in Grace, the ship we saw in both Enemies and Unnatural Selection, the "giant aliens", etc.

They all showed technology that is probably on the level of the Asgard and these other aliens. They are all equally capable of being the Furlings, or it could be possible that we haven't yet met the Furlings... hopefully we'll see something about them in SGU.
                I didn't say other races couldn't have created similar devices, but uh, as far as we know the only ones who have the ability are members of the alliance of the 4 races and... the aliens in 'Spirits', meaning they could very well be part of the galactic circlejerk. That's pretty good rationale for the funky faces things being Furlings as far as conjecture goes, pretty much the best shot since there's some tentative logic behind instead of "I bet it's the giant's in the Crystal Skull, guys I have a feeling about those ones".

Of course I could be way off base but there's more substance behind that stab than any other wild guess.

No, they said "You are the fifth race". Not that we were the fifth race in a great alliance with the Nox, Asgard, Ancients and Furlings.

Again, to be part of an alliance, you have to make an alliance. You can't just say "they *points over there* said we were their friends and have great potential, so we are allied with you guys now!! we're cool!"

We never met the Furlings (that we know of for sure), so obviously we don't have an alliance with them. And the Nox didn't want much to do with us, because we were so "young" and we weren't ready. And the Ancients live in their own little world/plane of existence. We were only allied with the Asgard. That's it.
                The point is Thor said 'You are the 5th race' and blam Tau'ri happens to have the hand based gate activator device in the future just like the Asgards or the Nox or the gill-faced ugly guys in 'Spirits', nice coincidence isn't it?

Comment

I didn't say other races couldn't have created similar devices, but uh, as far as we know the only ones who have the ability are members of the alliance of the 4 races and... the aliens in 'Spirits', meaning they could very well be part of the galactic circlejerk. That's pretty good rationale for the funky faces things being Furlings as far as conjecture goes, pretty much the best shot since there's some tentative logic behind instead of "I bet it's the giant's in the Crystal Skull, guys I have a feeling about those ones".

Of course I could be way off base but there's more substance behind that stab than any other wild guess.
                  Again, I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying that there are other civilizations out there that are clearly technologically advanced, probably enough so to be able to have portable/hand held DHD's. And since some of those include ones not one of the great 4 races, it isn't enough rationale to say that it was.

The point is Thor said 'You are the 5th race' and blam Tau'ri happens to have the hand based gate activator device in the future just like the Asgards or the Nox or the gill-faced ugly guys in 'Spirits', nice coincidence isn't it?
                  The only coincidence is that the Asgard had the same type of technology as the 'gill-faced ugly guys' in Spirits. But, again, the Tollan had some pretty impressive technology as well, that could have rivaled the Asgard... and the Sulfer-based aliens in that episode where they were terraforming a planet that SG-1 was at (I don't remember the episodes' name), they had some pretty impressive technology as well. Since it isn't impossible that they create technology similar to the Tollan and Asgard, it doesn't suggest the gill-faced uglies as the Furlings any more than any of these other civilizations.

My point: Technological achievements can't be the basis of saying "they might be the Furlings!" because there are other races that are along the same line. Just because the Jaffa, Wraith and Goa'uld haven't accomplished something doesn't mean that others can't. It's not enough basis, as technology itself doesn't properly distinguish one civilization from another, unless you know for sure exactly what type of technology they have, how they achieve it and what it looks like.

An example: the Tau'ri (us) and the Genii both have gunpowder technology, and both created it separately from eachother. We had no connection previously. The Genii also have nuclear technology, or the beginnings of it. They had that before we met them as well.

And a real life example: Ancient civilizations around the world developed similar technology... Swords and knives have been common across the globe. Bows and arrows are global as well. The idea of animal husbandry, of mining, etc. have all been global as well. Not all of that was learned from other people. Separate cultures can most definitely evolve along similar paths, and most definitely can develop similar technologies. There is nothing to limit them against doing so.

Comment

Again, I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying that there are other civilizations out there that are clearly technologically advanced, probably enough so to be able to have portable/hand held DHD's. And since some of those include ones not one of the great 4 races, it isn't enough rationale to say that it was.

The only coincidence is that the Asgard had the same type of technology as the 'gill-faced ugly guys' in Spirits. But, again, the Tollan had some pretty impressive technology as well, that could have rivaled the Asgard... and the Sulfer-based aliens in that episode where they were terraforming a planet that SG-1 was at (I don't remember the episodes' name), they had some pretty impressive technology as well. Since it isn't impossible that they create technology similar to the Tollan and Asgard, it doesn't suggest the gill-faced uglies as the Furlings any more than any of these other civilizations.

My point: Technological achievements can't be the basis of saying "they might be the Furlings!" because there are other races that are along the same line. Just because the Jaffa, Wraith and Goa'uld haven't accomplished something doesn't mean that others can't. It's not enough basis, as technology itself doesn't properly distinguish one civilization from another, unless you know for sure exactly what type of technology they have, how they achieve it and what it looks like.

An example: the Tau'ri (us) and the Genii both have gunpowder technology, and both created it separately from eachother. We had no connection previously. The Genii also have nuclear technology, or the beginnings of it. They had that before we met them as well.

And a real life example: Ancient civilizations around the world developed similar technology... Swords and knives have been common across the globe. Bows and arrows are global as well. The idea of animal husbandry, of mining, etc. have all been global as well. Not all of that was learned from other people. Separate cultures can most definitely evolve along similar paths, and most definitely can develop similar technologies. There is nothing to limit them against doing so.
                    My hypothesis had nothing to do with their level of technological advancement, just the particular stargate technology that we have only see 4 races use, 3 are in the alliance and the last is unnamed and possibly in the alliance itself. the only one unaccounted for in this little thing are the Ancients themselves who dwarfed the Asgards in technological surpassment and no doubt probably invented the damn thing. Lets say that the ancients have this device too, that would mean the races that have the device are:

The Ancients, definitely would have something like it, builders of the stargates, knew all you'd want to know and more.
                    The Nox, Lya used it to pick up the Tollan. The Nox is in the alliance of the 4.
                    The Asgard, one of them used it some time. The Asgard in the alliance of the 4.
                    The Tau'ri, Cassandra used it in future earth, proclaimed by the Asgard Thor to be 'The fifth race' in the alliance of the 4.
                    Funky faced alien's in 'Spirit' whose race is unnamed.

There are lots of advanced races encountered but only those races above have used the extremely portable DHD with no unstable vortex to open wormholes. It isn't much of a reach to say that the fish faces may be the last unnamed race of the great alliance. It is certainly the most logical assumption you are going to get about the Furlings thus far, even if they aren't the most glamorous choice. You seem pretty insistent in shooting it down, I don't like the aliens from 'Spirits' myself and would like to imagine the Furlings as being some other...prettier...or nicer race but this is probably the best guess you're gonna get on the matter.

Oh, and the sulphur based aliens have a name, the Gadmeer.

Comment

Thye cannot be the aliens from Spirits as for One they where RUBBISH! But more importnatly they were from the wrong MYTH. The Furlings are Astec and Myan based! That would make them more like the"TRUE" aliens behind the Crystel skull Mist holograms! While the Spirits are native Americian based!

There4 I see the Furlkings as being more Avian and bird like with areas of Feather rather than fur! To match the Style of the Myths and Gods of the Aztec.
                      ....And since i loved the Transformers movie SO much i would also love the Furlings to be excellent MECH builders! That would be cool
                      sigpic
                      Banner Made By Me for Me
                      The Red Team proudly supports Stargate: Universe, Suck it Blue

Comment

Originally posted by MechaThor View Post
                        Thye cannot be the aliens from Spirits as for One they where RUBBISH! But more importnatly they were from the wrong MYTH. The Furlings are Astec and Myan based! That would make them more like the"TRUE" aliens behind the Crystel skull Mist holograms! While the Spirits are native Americian based!

There4 I see the Furlkings as being more Avian and bird like with areas of Feather rather than fur! To match the Style of the Myths and Gods of the Aztec.
                        ....And since i loved the Transformers movie SO much i would also love the Furlings to be excellent MECH builders! That would be cool
                        Interesting if true. Where was it said that they are Aztec/Mayan (and I would also assume Incan?) based?

Comment

I don't think it's said anywhere that the Furlings influenced Mayan/Aztec mythology. The "Crystal Skull" aliens are the ones that did that, and I think he was trying to say that the "Crystal Skull" aliens are the Furlings, but there is no direct evidence that they are connected.
                          Folding@Home|Babylon 5 Canon Guide

Delenn: This is Ambassador Delenn of the Minbari. Babylon 5 is under our protection. Withdraw,...or be destroyed.
                          Earth Captain: Negative. We have authority here. Do not force us to engage your ship.
                          Delenn: Why not? Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else.
                          --Babylon 5 - "Severed Dreams"

Comment

Originally posted by Xicer View Post
                            I don't think it's said anywhere that the Furlings influenced Mayan/Aztec mythology. The "Crystal Skull" aliens are the ones that did that, and I think he was trying to say that the "Crystal Skull" aliens are the Furlings, but there is no direct evidence that they are connected.
                            Did Jonas not say something about the Furling language and design in "Paradise Lost"? About them being Aztec based? I may have to rewatch that classic episode one more!

Lol thinking about that episode maybe the Furlings are that Alien looking wild pig? Of Course i am joking but if you pause the DVD and look at the pig is not an Erath one as it has forward facing tusks and spikes! pretty cool!
                            sigpic
                            Banner Made By Me for Me
                            The Red Team proudly supports Stargate: Universe, Suck it Blue

Comment

Originally posted by MechaThor View Post
                              Did Jonas not say something about the Furling language and design in "Paradise Lost"? About them being Aztec based? I may have to rewatch that classic episode one more!
                              Don't think so...

This is all the civilization/language source stuff I got from the episode:

"TEAL’C: Are you able to translate any of this, Jonas Quinn?
                              JONAS: It’s not Ancient but it’s definitely a language belonging to one of the races of the ancient alliance.
                              O’NEILL: Nox? Asgard?
                              JONAS: Furlings."

"MAYBOURNE: It was originally found over 80 years ago in a Pharaohs tomb in Egypt. The stone was wrapped in a scroll with writing on it that no Earth linguist could decipher. I was recently able to get it translated though.
                              O’NEILL: By whom?
                              MAYBOURNE: The scroll contained instructions for how to use the stone to access the power of the Gods. That information exists in one place. Right here. A deal’s a deal. You want t o go through that door? I’m gonna be the one who opens it."

So all we know is that

-the language around the device was of the Furlings, and the technology was unlike anything they had seen (meaning it was probably the Furlings' tech)

-No one on earth could decipher the language (which may or may not indicate that it wasn't Aztec/Mayan based).

Also, Aztec and Mayan writing looks nothing like the Furlings that we've seen. The Aztec and Mayans used hieroglyphics, while the Furlings looks much more flowing, such as the Arabic written language.

Comment

I think we need a vote....who thinks that the Furlins are going to be mentioned in future?
                                sigpic
                                Spoiler:
                                President of the 'AFTU Writers Association'
                                President of the 'Count to 15,000 Legends' club
                                Forum Charmer
                                Forum Ambassador
                                Prince of The Hugglings

CURA STORY LINE, ATFU Pg 53 - Pg 804 (751pages)
                                VAMPIRE STORYLINE PT1, AFTU Pg 804 - 912
                                VAMPIRE STORYLINE PT 2, AFTU - Pg 855

Comment

Working...
                                X