Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The problem with this theory is that Stargate uses earth mythology, and Elves as you describe here are an invention of Tolkien.
    Elves in mythology were the messangers of the Norse gods, and not powerful of themselves. It would not seem to fit the way that Stargate is using the mythology, as for the Furlings to be one of the four great races, it would seem likely that if they had come into contact with earth it would be independently of the Asgard.

Comment

I personally think of the ancients as more elf like, with wraith as being the equivalent orcs.

Comment

I think the early humanoid Asgard looked kinda Elvish. I have to agree that the Furlings must be more Dwarf-like. This being the case, they would have been responsible for bringing crystal and ore technology to the great council.
        I also agree that the Nox are more Elf-like because of their symbiotic relationship with nature. I guess Unas are Orcs.
        On second thought, maybe the Asgard are Halflings.

Comment

I would say the Nox were more Elfish then the Furlings.

'Hallowed are the children of the Ori. CROWD: Hallowed are we. Hallowed are the Ori.' -

'Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished' -

Contribute to the Stargate Wiki a source for any information on the Stargate universe from the books, RPG to games and comics.

Comment

Interestng fantasy!!
            I HATE SY-FY

Comment

Yeah, elfs are fantasy, not Mythology as much as I like LoTR.

My theory was that the Furlings are actually the Missing Link in the human evolutionary chain. The cromagnum man. I had a thread on it, with links to timelines and such and it would fit with when the Ancients left originally after seeding life.

I'll see if I can find that post. (found in the furlings thread)
              We all have heard about the "missing link" when humans evolved from ape-men. While that theory doesn't fit with the ancients seeding the galaxy, Perhaps the Furlings are the equivilent of that missing link? Homo Erectus timeline ends near the same time as Neanderthals yet much more ape-like.

Purhaps the Furlings are furry ape like humanoids?

Thoughts?
              Some links http://www.archaeologyinfo.com/homoerectus.htm

http://www.time.com/time/covers/1101.../timeline.html (link no longer works)
              Last edited by Noneareleft; 18 September 2006, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Prior_of_the_Ori
                I would say the Nox were more Elfish then the Furlings.
                I dunno, but one thing's for sure though they're much more SElfish - what, with not wanting to help us & all that :|

Comment

Maybe the Furlings are Santa Claus.

Comment

Hm... Just one problem-

Arrows vs Ori staves

Kind of a 1-sided battle there (and i dont mean the arrows winning -.-)
                    -- Brains12

Comment

i dont think that the furlings are elves i really like some of the ideas in the sticky ultimate furling thread im hoping for dragons my self

thanks to www.savecarsonbeckett.com and leelakin for the pretty sig.

Comment

I agree - I've always believed the Furlings are the basis of Elf mythology - and no I'm not talking Lord of the Rings stuff here. ('Though you should be aware that Tolkien was a Professor of Mythology and bent it to his needs)

Check out
                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elf
                        I'm not usualy the biggest fan of Wikipedia but this artical is actually a quite good overview.

Personally, I'd say the Nox are closer to Faries than Elves.

JMHO!

Comment

Originally posted by Noneareleft
                          Yeah, elfs are fantasy, not Mythology as much as I like LoTR.

My theory was that the Furlings are actually the Missing Link in the human evolutionary chain. The cromagnum man. I had a thread on it, with links to timelines and such and it would fit with when the Ancients left originally after seeding life.

I'll see if I can find that post. (found in the furlings thread)
                          We all have heard about the "missing link" when humans evolved from ape-men. While that theory doesn't fit with the ancients seeding the galaxy, Perhaps the Furlings are the equivilent of that missing link? Homo Erectus timeline ends near the same time as Neanderthals yet much more ape-like.

Purhaps the Furlings are furry ape like humanoids?

Thoughts?
                          Some links http://www.archaeologyinfo.com/homoerectus.htm

http://www.time.com/time/covers/1101.../timeline.html (link no longer works)

there is no missing link. that is a missunderstanding of anthropology. there are many branches in the tree that lead to human evolution, many of them ended in extenction.
                          "A friend is someone who stabs you in the front."

Ilshah, host to A’aaruk-GateWorld RP

Comment

Oh, also I agree that the Furlings might have been Dwarf(ish?) and responsible for the crystals and meatalurgy envolved in the creation of various technologies.
                            "A friend is someone who stabs you in the front."

Ilshah, host to A’aaruk-GateWorld RP

Comment

Yes, however Elves were not Tolkein's invention any more than Dwarves or Trolls. They were all European mythology.

Comment

What is a furling. Still have no clue. I have missed 2 episodes this year, but I guess I am just a little dense.

Comment

Working...
                                X