This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by joshuaselig
    If you put it into context, considering the amount of times SG-1 saved the Earth and the galaxy putting their lives at risk I am surprised that O'Neill wasn't a 4-star general by now
    totally agree ... without Jack earth would be defeated

Comment

Originally posted by Deevil
      My bet as to Jack's promotion is that it has something to do with the international interests that govern but the SGC and the Atlantis expedition. It appears that they trust Jack to do what has to be done, to be upfront and not to pussy foot around.

So when Hammond came to retire, it was decided that Jack was the best candidate because of his international supporters. And it's likely to promotion was the only way Jack would leave the SGC, or something of the ilk.
      I like this reason the most. It is also the reason why Shep got promoted like he did.
      *Post in Peace, Yah or Nah*
      *Go to Sokar you Cylon fracker*
      *I can't spell vary good, but I can read mis- spelled words vary good*
      *And then the Ori said, "if your thread is dead then let their be a new one"*
      *It's Science Fiction. Not Science with Fiction.*
      *Sproiler Tags should only be used when you are going to be mentioning something that you can't already read on Gateworld*
      *When I talk out my butt it smells like sarcasm*

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man
        In
        Spoiler:
        "The Fourth Horseman, Parts 1 and 2". When Hammond appears giving that speech, his isn't in military dress. He's in civilian clothes. Also, when he say his goodbyes to Sam, Daniel, and Cam, he mentions that he's heading back to Washington. From those two things, I took it that he was retired, officially anyways.
        Hope that helps some.
        In 'The Fourth Horseman Part 2',
        Spoiler:
        ...Hammond still acts like a general in the two scenes he's in. First, Landry is briefing him on the current situation, passing on all the information he knows. In the second scene, he walks in on SG-1 in the briefing room and they come to attention. He tells them "At ease". He also says that he's off to Peterson (Air Force Base) because he's been called back to Washington.

It's possible that Hammond retired, and is working in the Stargate program as a civilian. But until that is stated in the show, I'm going to assume that he was simply traveling in civvies while in Colorado.

As for O'Neill's promotion, I don't think it's too far fetched. I've read that, beyond one-star flag ranks, promotions are as much political as they are merit based. With enough support from the higher ups, it could have been decided that Jack was needed in whatever task he's performing, and that he needed an extra star to fulfill that job. At the very least, this puts him even with General Landry, and probably means he issues orders to Landry.

Regarding time-in-grade, from what I understand Jack may have spent too long as a Colonel. He must have been pushing the 30-year mark by season 7, the mandatory retirement for 0-6 officers who don't make general. Likewise, I don't know how old Hammond is supposed to be, but he was likely on the cusp of madatory retirement before he got his third star.

a time to mourn

Comment

The most logical reason that Jack was promoted is because Hammond decided to retire and become advisor to the President. When looking for a replacement for Hammond, who else are you going to turn to other than Jack?

Jack gets promoted because of the new position. Not uncommon in the higher positions of command in the military... Also with Landry a two-star general in charge of the SGC, he would also almost have to be promoted in order to keep the chain of command clear.

Especially if Jack ever took a field trip back to Colorado Springs...

Ace
          Last edited by Ace; 25 May 2006, 07:05 PM.
          "Good Morning Dr. Silberman. How's the knee?" - Sarah Connor 1994

Comment

Originally posted by Ace
            Also with Landry a two-star general in charge of the SGC, he would also almost have to be promoted in order to keep the chain of command clear.

Especially if Jack ever took a field trip back to Colorado Springs...

Ace

That's probably the best reason I've heard. And I will say that Both Hammond and Jack had promotions a long time coming and both deserved atleast two promotions for their time in the SGC, but going from one star to two in a year is alot different from going from three to four. Four Star General is the highest rank you can attain in the Airforce. So they wouldn't just give it out all the time infact, and I might be wrong on this but don't you have to be on the joint chiefs to even get four stars?

Perfecto!

Comment

Originally posted by Major_Griff
              That's probably the best reason I've heard. And I will say that Both Hammond and Jack had promotions a long time coming and both deserved atleast two promotions for their time in the SGC, but going from one star to two in a year is alot different from going from three to four. Four Star General is the highest rank you can attain in the Airforce. So they wouldn't just give it out all the time infact, and I might be wrong on this but don't you have to be on the joint chiefs to even get four stars?
              Correct... there are a few positions other than joint chiefs that allow for a person to attain four stars.

Ace

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid
                He showed up at the end of Origin, IIRC he was wearing the full uniform two stars and all.

What baffles me is what he did to earn another promotion. It took him a long time as Col. to be promoted to Brig. Gen., and it took Hammond a long time as Maj. Gen. to get promoted to Lt. Gen. I know I've seen every episode of Season 8, and it doesn't seem to me that he did anything particularly extraordinary to earn him another General promotion in just one year.
                Nah.
                Just saved the world. AGAIN!

Anyway, since when is doing something worthwhile needed to get a promotion in S9??!!!

After all, Cameron got THE highly improbable medal, plus command of the premiere first-contact team (without ever having set a foot on the stargate ramp) just because he, like a lot of others btw, got shot down at the end of S8!

I think Jack deserved his (more or less orthodox) promotion a lot more than Cam did!

P.S. Where was the Airforce advisor??!!
                J a c k M a n i a c

Comment

Originally posted by Pain in the mikta
                  P.S. Where was the Airforce advisor??!!

Better question... Where was the Air Force Advisor when Sheppard did that absolutely horrible attempt at a salute in Siege III?!? Everytime I watch that episode I cringe at that part. It was such a key moment to the scene, nobody could have grabed Joe and taught him how to salute real quick?

Seriously?!? It takes 30 seconds to learn.... Arrrrggggg

-Ace

P.S. Sorry I went off topic, and yes I know Atlantis doesn't have an Air Force advisor, but in the 9 years that they have been doing Stargate you would think the directors would see the difference between a good salute and the one Sheppard made.

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man
                    In
                    Spoiler:
                    "The Fourth Horseman, Parts 1 and 2". When Hammond appears giving that speech, his isn't in military dress. He's in civilian clothes. Also, when he say his goodbyes to Sam, Daniel, and Cam, he mentions that he's heading back to Washington. From those two things, I took it that he was retired, officially anyways.
                    Hope that helps some.
                    Sounds like another fine bit of writing!

You know for sure, just watching, that Hammond is retired! As you'll know Jack's fate for sure, too, from what was presented on screen.

But, then, people wondering about those 2 guys are, maybe, just dumb, because, hey! It's clear!
                    You only have to watch!

OK, going on the Internet might help a bit, too, if you know where to look, of course...

Oh.

BTW.

That was sarcasm.

Or was it?
                    J a c k M a n i a c

Comment

Actually I would say we know for sure that Hammond retired. An active Officer does not address other officers like he did wearing a suit. Ohh not a chance, he would be in uniform.
                      Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

Working...
                      X