X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cmdr. Setsuna F. Seyei View Post
    Boxy
    Great naming suggestion!! Why not use it? JK; realize Setsuna is describing it shape haha.
    If you're interested in reading my longest fanfic story, which is an action/adventure story involving the elusive Furlings (as well as if you want to read the others), please click the link below.
    [URL="http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6888222/1/Tauri_Furling_First_Contact_and_Alliance[/URL]

RIP Sep 2010 to beloved gateworld.net member and forum contributor Weedle, very skilled soldier with military special operations, a wonderful human being, and a friend to so many on gateworld. May we keep his memory close.

Comment

Originally posted by locutes View Post
      Interesting premise, but it is obviously a work in progress
      Yep. still going here and there. I wanted a smooth look like the asgard o'neill ships, without the extra artifacts etc (cos i can't get them right at all) but things are slowly falling into place..hopefully i will be able to get the detail i want, and learn to texture them properly..
      the shape you see is what i have decided on keeping..the ones before didn't really work out very nice..

ta

satnam
      strength must be balanced with sweetness of temperament

Comment

hello again

have another one..
        http://www.thelordofeternaldarkness....ht/dv2cv2a.jpg

thanks

Comment

I know you are using SU but you need to learn to use the smooth function.

(not bashing, was the same when i started)

find some SU tutorials on youtube to learn more about the tools.
          sigpicRequiescat in pace Weedle

Comment

Originally posted by Cmdr. Setsuna F. Seyei View Post
            I know you are using SU but you need to learn to use the smooth function.

(not bashing, was the same when i started)

find some SU tutorials on youtube to learn more about the tools.
            Hello

I'm not using sketchup- Maya 2010.
            smooth didn't look very good..sub d went opposite direction of what i liked..so for the moment i will stick with poly..
            any ideas re the look etc?

ta

satnam

Comment

Maya? Why is it such a low poly model? You can make smooth curves really easily.. and use loop cuts to sharpen up subsurfed meshes..

It looks like a sketchup model.. Get some textures on that thing! Will really improve it...

I assumed it was white because you were using sketchup.. if you're using Maya.. you really don't have any excuses for not texturing

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Hamenthotep View Post
                Maya? Why is it such a low poly model? You can make smooth curves really easily.. and use loop cuts to sharpen up subsurfed meshes..

It looks like a sketchup model.. Get some textures on that thing! Will really improve it...

I assumed it was white because you were using sketchup.. if you're using Maya.. you really don't have any excuses for not texturing
                Yep, good old maya..been on and off, still consider myself to be a beginner..
                i have yet to get a good tutorial on smooth curves..perhaps you can point me in the right direction?
                loop cuts..for some reason my brain doesn't really like certain maya features..i think loop cuts was one of them...but i might get it later...
                textures? you are kidding right? my brain stopped working when i did the texturing..i was advised not to rush it (which is what i was trying to do before with bad results and anger at model not coming right ) and to go with the flow..
                and now, i am getting better at the basic stuff, and less anger..which i think is a good thing...and the models seem so much better than before..
                soon i will be at a level where i am comfortable with moving ahead in a bigger step..i just don't know when that will be..
                low poly? it's got 6270 verts, 12289 edges, 6008 faces, 12560 tris, and 6638 uv's. is that low? i have to admit, i've never looked at the poly count, as i didn't think it would be important at my low stage of 3d..perhaps i'm wrong?
                please do check my other models..i can send you a mail if you like, and you can see there is a big variation in design etc, brought about by slowing down, and thinking..
                i will look again at the smooth curves and loop cuts..

thanks

satnam

Comment

I don't use Maya.. I use Blender

And only 6000 faces? That is low for a ship Some of my most recent models have been in the 100-200,000 faces range.. But I've had characters and a lot of hats in mine

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/e...re11265890.jpg
                  http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/e...umanmodel1.jpg

Comment

Unless his computer is really crappy on resources like ram, CPU and video requirements. in which case it is understandable why he is not texturing it.

Personally I think it looks pretty good

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
                    "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
                    "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

My laptop is nearly 3 years old now.. I don't have that much power to work with..

Comment

My laptop is nearly 3 years old now.. I don't have that much power to work with..
                        I've had mine for two years, but its three years old, runs great. Does exactly what I need it for, writing space, movies, and music

"The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Originally posted by Princess Awinita View Post
                          Unless his computer is really crappy on resources like ram, CPU and video requirements. in which case it is understandable why he is not texturing it.

Personally I think it looks pretty good
                          hello

thank you princess awinita. i'm glad you like it. would you like to give it a name? it is an archimedes class dreadnought (chosen by somebody else)..that was as far as i got...
                          my pc is okay- i guess. 670 precision, 8gb ram (used to be 10 until the 2 kinda died), dual xeon 3.4, 160gb primary, 300gb secondary, quadro 4600, windows 7 ultimate 64..had it 3 years..and a 27 dell panel..had to make one hell of a deal with the wife for this....need a full clean reinstall now... but i do my stuff on it..music, writing, surfing, email, films, complaint letters etc...
                          i don't texture because i'm kinda crap...i'm trying to make it sink in, but with the limited time that i have, its difficult...brain drain from wife and 2 kids..and real life...
                          i am trying to move faster, but i don't want to rush it..like other things in life.

@ Pharaoh Hamenthotep
                          nice pics, thanks..
                          My battlestar zeus has 30418 verts, 58954 edges, 28561 faces, 60972 tris, 44 uv's..is that kinda better?
                          theres a picture a few pages back when i did a multi fleet post of my projects in progress...do check it out and tell me what you think..
                          please believe me.. i will get there one day...it just won't be tomorrow..

cheers

satnam

Comment

Originally posted by satnamboll28 View Post
                            hello

thank you princess awinita. i'm glad you like it. would you like to give it a name? it is an archimedes class dreadnought (chosen by somebody else)..that was as far as i got...
                            my pc is okay- i guess. 670 precision, 8gb ram (used to be 10 until the 2 kinda died), dual xeon 3.4, 160gb primary, 300gb secondary, quadro 4600, windows 7 ultimate 64..had it 3 years..and a 27 dell panel..had to make one hell of a deal with the wife for this....need a full clean reinstall now... but i do my stuff on it..music, writing, surfing, email, films, complaint letters etc...
                            i don't texture because i'm kinda crap...i'm trying to make it sink in, but with the limited time that i have, its difficult...brain drain from wife and 2 kids..and real life...
                            i am trying to move faster, but i don't want to rush it..like other things in life.

cheers

satnam
                            Nice,so your comp is a custom machine, or a 'Blade machine from SM yes ? very nice, so, dual Xeon processors, or is it a dual core single clocked at that ? Even so, its a great sounding machine. I can understand not texturing though. personally I make most of my recent models in Lego Digital Designer, which is easier for me and my computer runs it pretty smoothly.

As for names I will have to think on that offer

Comment

Originally posted by Princess Awinita View Post
                              Nice,so your comp is a custom machine, or a 'Blade machine from SM yes ? very nice, so, dual Xeon processors, or is it a dual core single clocked at that ? Even so, its a great sounding machine. I can understand not texturing though. personally I make most of my recent models in Lego Digital Designer, which is easier for me and my computer runs it pretty smoothly.

As for names I will have to think on that offer
                              Hello..

not custom..bought as it was off the shelf as it was stable and rock solid..nearly broke my back as it's really heavy as well...
                              dual xeon, but not dual core..hyper threading enabled however..works okay sometimes..standard clock at 3.4 mhz...though it is showing it's age (for me anyway) especially when i use terragen 2..SLOW with the renders...
                              next year, i am hoping to make a new machine from scratch..my son has already agreed to help (nice of a 7 year old huh?) i just have to sell my old machine first however...
                              tried texturing again earlier, but it went completely wrong...perhaps in the near future...

give me a shout with the names..but if you are interested, check out the multi ship fleet picture and tell me what you like..
                              http://www.thelordofeternaldarkness....Z/MSS1.bmp.jpg

cheers

satnam

Comment

I agree with PA. most of my starship go between 100k- 300k poly count and most of that is in the fine details.

if your system is having issues handling larger poly counts most modeling programs that i know of do support both components and layers.

components allows you to work on half the ship while what you do copies in the other half. so you are really working on both halves at the same time.

and layers allows you to have different layers to model on. the cool thing about this is you can turn each layer on or off anytime you want. thus making your model more or less crowded. when a layer is turned off the polys on that layer arent tracked by the modeling program and allow what ever is visible to be modeled with less lag.
                                sigpicRequiescat in pace Weedle

Comment

Working...
                                X