This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by StargateWatcher View Post
    very versatile ship; perhaps the most versatile ship so far; what race created it?
    Hello stargatewatcher...
    i forgot to mention that every ship can be built for each mission..hence multiple production lines with the same chassis will actually produce a different ship..like vw's facilities....
    bombers on one line...scouts on another..and another facility can produce vessels for medical work or even troop deployments..as they all have the same base level of tech..minimal weapons, great shielding, sensors and being fast, they don't need to radically redesign the vessel or design a new one..saving resources etc...
    the base tech can change however..and as it is standard, it can be improved..eg one bomber may have an older version of the software, the next one will have the new version..the bomber with older software can still be upgraded..here we have uniformity...
    umm..the tauri came up with this ship...a certain professor (my fan fiction multi trilogy thingy) has his finger on the button on many things....

satnam
    strength must be balanced with sweetness of temperament

Comment

Originally posted by satnamboll28 View Post
      Hello stargatewatcher...
      i forgot to mention that every ship can be built for each mission..hence multiple production lines with the same chassis will actually produce a different ship..like vw's facilities....
      bombers on one line...scouts on another..and another facility can produce vessels for medical work or even troop deployments..as they all have the same base level of tech..minimal weapons, great shielding, sensors and being fast, they don't need to radically redesign the vessel or design a new one..saving resources etc...
      the base tech can change however..and as it is standard, it can be improved..eg one bomber may have an older version of the software, the next one will have the new version..the bomber with older software can still be upgraded..here we have uniformity...
      umm..the tauri came up with this ship...a certain professor (my fan fiction multi trilogy thingy) has his finger on the button on many things....

satnam
      Makes sense; looks akin to a Covenant cruiser to me personally, I love the appearance of the model, all the smooth lines and curves are well made! If only I could do that on LDD......

This is the Assassin's Way part 17 complete
      "Elegant beauty is Nature. but only for the gentle and soft Flower" ~Hu Ge
      "The one thing every new hairstylist must learn is how to do hair in a combat zone!" Bob; owner of Bob & Weave's Combat Salon in Red Dust Club, an original story currently in progress

Comment

Hello stargatewatcher...

satnam
        very interesting; brilliant production logstics; this from your sotry of the Ori tryig to keep the Asgard from fighting them?
        If you're interested in reading my longest fanfic story, which is an action/adventure story involving the elusive Furlings (as well as if you want to read the others), please click the link below.
        [URL="http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6888222/1/Tauri_Furling_First_Contact_and_Alliance[/URL]

RIP Sep 2010 to beloved gateworld.net member and forum contributor Weedle, very skilled soldier with military special operations, a wonderful human being, and a friend to so many on gateworld. May we keep his memory close.

Comment

Originally posted by StargateWatcher View Post
          very interesting; brilliant production logstics; this from your sotry of the Ori tryig to keep the Asgard from fighting them?
          i remember during my ww2 history, speer organised the manufacturing and production to the point where they actually increased under the allied bombing.
          so i thought about it..and came up with a multi-mission ship, that didn't need a vast amount of advanced alien technology and manufacturing and production, and resources etc..and the rattlesnake fit that bill..quick to build, easy to make and get the parts without triggering vast interest etc..and it is versatile..besides, the front part of the design came about by accident, and it looked like a rattlesnake head..hence the name..
          i was working on an anti-fighter version, but then i realised it can be made smaller..hmmm...another idea....
          yes, its a ship that plays a part in my story..have you read it?
          i had some other ships, they won't open in my version of maya...bugger..so i will try to get them sorted...

satnam
          strength must be balanced with sweetness of temperament

Comment

i remember during my ww2 history, speer organised the manufacturing and production to the point where they actually increased under the allied bombing.
            so i thought about it..and came up with a multi-mission ship, that didn't need a vast amount of advanced alien technology and manufacturing and production, and resources etc..and the rattlesnake fit that bill..quick to build, easy to make and get the parts without triggering vast interest etc..and it is versatile..besides, the front part of the design came about by accident, and it looked like a rattlesnake head..hence the name..
            i was working on an anti-fighter version, but then i realised it can be made smaller..hmmm...another idea....
            yes, its a ship that plays a part in my story..have you read it?
            i had some other ships, they won't open in my version of maya...bugger..so i will try to get them sorted...

satnam
            nice nice the one with the plot I described yes? I was one of the first viewers to comment on it , yes.
            If you're interested in reading my longest fanfic story, which is an action/adventure story involving the elusive Furlings (as well as if you want to read the others), please click the link below.
            [URL="http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6888222/1/Tauri_Furling_First_Contact_and_Alliance[/URL]

RIP Sep 2010 to beloved gateworld.net member and forum contributor Weedle, very skilled soldier with military special operations, a wonderful human being, and a friend to so many on gateworld. May we keep his memory close.

Comment

Spoiler:

something I have been working on when I get free time...so hardly ever then! lol

sigpic

Comment

You got any specs? I would love to design that.
                sigpic
                You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                Stargate : Genesis |
                Original Starship DesignThread
                Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
                11000! green me

Comment

Gate Cruiser:

Same width as a puddle jumper but longer makes it possible to pilot through the startgate.

No shields to save power. Instead uses armour derived from the study of Wraith hives and Anubis Kull Warrior suit material.

Cloaking technology, preferably Ancient if we could get it working failing that captured from the Gould/Tokra.

Minimal offensive technology as standard but mounting platforms built into the hull.
                  Sub light propulsion only.

The key feature of this ship is that it will be able to dock with others of it's design to self assemble into a larger more powerful ship on the other side of the stargate. This can be done while cloaked so there is no so much need for immediate weapons.

All basic ships are manufactured to the same spec to allow for mass production, but sophistcated weapons and drives can be sent as cargo and fitted onto the ship once the hulls are docked.

In this way railguns, missile launchers, asgard beam weapons, additional shield generators etc.. can be added along with hyperdrive. It also makes it easy to upgrade as new weapons become available.

A second class of gate capable fighter ship could dock on the outer hull (like on Destiny) but instead of 2 ships a whole squadron could be carried without the need for fighter bays. Pilots would beam out to the fighters using Asgard beam tech.

The ship would allow Earth to project military might as far as it can get the stargate to go. Perhaps even as far as Destiny one day.

It would also be useful for sending ships quickly to areas we could reach by hyperdrive, but would be faster to gate in and assemble instead.

Attacks against enemies could be coordinated to come from unexpected directions.

The main weakness of the ship is the time it takes to assemble and it's lack of firepower/drives/shields before it is assembled. This makes it unsuitable to send (in parts) straight into a battle, however a fully assembled ship would be able to engage at least as effectively as a 304.

Comment

I'd take one of Anubis' Ha'taks. I love the look of the ship, and the ones owned by Anubis' have purple interiors.

Throw in Ancient shields and weapons, a compliment of Death Gliders, Al'kesh etc.
                    sigpic

Comment

Sacrifice Weapon:

Heavily armed with energy weapons and shields & hyperdrive the ship would be powered by a mk2 Naquadah generator or core and a power source built to mimic the Ancient's Project Arcturus. (This would only be fired up when going into battle.)

The ship would be used to attack heavily fortified enemy positions and then either power down or explode depending on if the reactor had gone critical.

Such a ship could have been used against the Ori fleet when it came through the supergate had it been available.

Due to the uncontrollable radiation from Project Arcturus the ship would either be controlled by computers, or remotely through an open stargate on board the ship.

That stargate may also have the power to dial Destiny(?) to provide a brief window to resupply.

Comment

The Armada,

Deceptively small and inoffensive looking ship with fast engines(slipstream drive?), and OK shields. Cloak would be nice. Not much in the way of weapons just a couple of railguns/nukes needed.

The ship carries a stargate which can be used inside the ship or be rotated in the hull to face space.

The purpose of this ship is to travel to the expected location of an enemy target, hang back, open the gate and send squadron after squadron of gate capable fighter craft/ guided weapons through the gate from earth to engage the target.

Thinking these would be something like a cross between a wraith dart, puddle jumper and BSG Colonial Viper.

Like the drones in SGU these would overwhelm an enemy by their numbers, then return back through the gate when the battle was won.

Comment

My first ship design (pt 1):

Spoiler:
                          Gallipoli Class Corvette

Technology base: Earth/Asgard
                          Users: Australia, New Zealand, Turkey, Indonesia, Sweden, Israel and India
                          Naval Classification: Corvette
                          Dimensions:
                          Length: 84.32m
                          Width: 8.5m
                          Height: 7.8m
                          Crew: 42 (original)/58 (ideal)
                          Powerplant: Naquada Reactor
                          Engines:
                          • One ion based sublight engine
                          • Two Asgard designed hyperdrives

Weapons:
                          • 6 x 533mm bow mounted launching tubes (6 Kali RKEM missiles loaded, 18 in reserve)
                          • 4 x external 20mm CIWS turrets (5 000 projectiles per gun)

Defenses:
                          • Asgard shields
                          • Sodan cloaking device (retrofitted)
                          • Composite terrestrial armour (pre-Ori)
                          • Trinium/Naquadah composite (post-Ori)

Other Technology:
                          • 1 x Asgard transporter
                          • Asgard sensors
                          • radar
                          • infra-red sensors
                          • high resolution optical cameras

History

The Gallipoli class corvette's origins can be traced back to 2002 and the early days of international awareness about the Stargate program. While many nations were concerned by America's sole possession of enhanced warheads and spacecraft, there were few other nations capable of developing their own spacecraft due to their complexity and excessive cost. Those nations who could undertake such an endeavour - namely Britain, France, Russia and China - either lacked the facilities to construct large spacecraft or were content to allow America to do all the hard work for them.

However, there were a few smaller nations who disliked this state of affairs and decided to put America to the test. Over the course of several months, they began to make increasingly less subtle suggestions that they might wish to begin work on a spacecraft of their own, independent of US design but using technologies developed from artefacts, information or research brought back through the Stargate. Having been given ample warning of the question through the extended approach made by this coalition of smaller nations, the US had plenty of time to cut through all red tape and isolationist elements of the government and presented the coalition representatives with a wide variety of research and data during the first official meeting as a gesture of good faith.

The coalition - comprised of Australia, New Zealand, Turkey, Indonesia, Sweden, Israel and India - now had their answer, but no actual plans or ideas for a spacecraft. Determined not to look like idiots, the coalition spent much of the first half of 2003 deciding on sort of spacecraft to build. Ordinarily, such a discussion would have taken several years, however, the threat of the Goa'uld galvanised conversation and the initial concept was finalised in May 2003.

Lacking any spacecraft design experience but not wanting to use the F-302 or X-303 designs, the coalition's committee decided to base the design on the closest thing they had to a spacecraft: submarines. While all nations involved had their own ideas as to which submarine would be ideal, it was eventually decided to use the Collins class submarine as the base. Apart from being the largest design available to them, it also meant that there were engineers and workers familiar with the general design in the country which would be responsible for construction: Australia. While a cargo ship, bomber and fighter were all considered, a frigate sized spaceship was considered the best value for money and, as it was to be produced from an existing design, it was designated a corvette.

Work on the construction facilities began in July 2003, with a predicted finish date of September 2006, giving the team designing the unnamed corvette plenty of time to add the latest and greatest pieces of technology produced by America or any signatories of the gate treaty. It also gave the workers whose job it would be to build the ship time to learn and practice the techniques they would need to work with new materials.

When the Ori threat became apparent in 2006, a further four construction facilities were commissioned and two corvettes were laid down concurrently as soon as the first facility was ready - two months ahead of schedule. These two corvettes were considered combat ready within a year and a half, but by that time the Ori threat had been ended. Instead, they were planned to protect the Earth from the Wraith.

By 2011, a total of 12 corvettes had been produced by the Australian facilities in Woomera, one for each member of the coalition, with India having two of the five extras and Australia, Turkey and Israel each having one of the remaining corvettes. Two more are currently being built for Indonesia and Sweden, with eight more corvettes being planned for both coalition members and for sale to nations such as Britain, France amd Germany. Furthermore, while not based on the Gallipoli class, the American Eagle class destroyer was created using the same basic premise, borrows some of the enhancements made by coalition design teams and many members of the design team were consulted during the design of the Eagle.

Design

The Gallipoli class corvette is largely based on the Collins class submarine. Despite many of the criticisms levelled at it, the hull of the Collins class was perfectly serviceable and, indeed, quite good when built to Australian specifications. The length also provided extra room for power generation, sublight engines and hyperdrive compared to other available submarine designs.

The main differences between the Gallipoli and the Collins classes are that the taper down to the propeller at the rear is virtually gone and a sublight engine has been added to the rear. The conning tower has also been removed, as have any external features. In their place are sensor pods, cameras, antennas, CIWS turrets and two external hyperdrive engines.

Internally, the Gallipoli is much the same as the Collins, with enough room to sleep a crew of 42 without hotbunking, although a crew of 58 is preferred in order to prevent overwork and stress.

Weapons

Primary

The primary weapon used by the Gallipoli class corvette is the Kali Relativistic Kinetic Energy Missile (RKEM), a compact missile the size of a Mk 48 torpedo. Designed to launch from a barely modified 533mm torpedo tube using its ion sublight thruster, the Kali rapidly accelerates to the highest speed possible while targeting the enemy craft via a range of sensors. With its conventional explosive warhead replaced with a solid mass of depleted uranium, the missile weighs 4.7 tonnes. At 0.75C - the estimated velocity for engaging a stationary target immediately after exiting hyperspace - the missile has 53 gigatons of energy, calculated to be sufficient for damaging a Wraith Hive Ship. A full volley of eight missiles is thought to be capable of defeating all known enemy ships.

The most significant thing about the Kali RKEM is not it's high velocity, but the shield generator contained within it. This was added due to a common issue with Tau'ri missiles, namely that they are vulnerable to enemy fighters and point defence systems. With the relatively high powered Asgard based shield, the Kali is capable of surviving impacts with battle debris, fire from fighters and is thought to be capable of impacting a Dart without damaging the missile or shedding any significant velocity.

Secondary

The secondary armament of the Gallipoli class consists of four externally mounted CIWS turrets containing a six barrelled coilgun capable of launching a 120 gram, steel sheathed DU projectile at 0.1C at a rate of 1000-6000 rounds per minute. As with the Kali, the railgun relies solely on kinetic energy to destroy its targets and, thanks to the projectile's relativistic velocity, it is quite capable in this regard.

Comment

My first ship design (pt 2)

Spoiler:
                            Protection

As with most Tau'ri ships, the Gallipoli class corvette is primarily protected by Asgard designed shields. While not as powerful as those of the BC-304 class, the shields of the Gallipoli are not as weak as size might suggest, due to the much smaller volume of the the ship. As a result, the shield density is high enough to allow the corvette to engage cruiser or destroyer class vessels without being too outmatched.

The construction of the hull, on the other hand, is anything but typical. Due to American demand for trinium and naquadah, very little had been available to the coalition project. While this monopolising of vital war supplies was protested, Russian and Chinese IOA representitives both backed America and nothing come of the protest. In the end, the only naquadah and trinium used in the construction of the early Gallipoli class corvettes was in vital components, such as the reactor and hyperdrives.

The direct result of this lack of proper resources was an armour layout more reminiscent of a tank than a spacecraft.

The outer layer of the spacecraft consisted of a thin titanium whipple shield over a boron nitride nanotube reinforced titanium based Mixed Metallic Composite (MMC). The titanium provides superior ballistic performance to steel at a lower weight, while the ceramic nanotubes erode any penetrators. The combination also provides better multi-hit probability and ballistic resistance far superior to ordinary Rolled Homogeneous Armour (RHA).

Below the MMC layer is a layer of titanium diboride bricks encased in a titanium alloy. The titanium diboride is a very hard ceramic and, when encased in the titanium alloy is more effective at eroding and shattering incoming projectiles, while also offering superior multi hit protection when compared to ceramic tiles or bulk ceramics. The bricks are designed to be easily replaceable and are also highly resistant to high energy sources of heat, such as plasma.

Following the ceramic bricks is a layer of dual hardness steel, with the outer faced being high hardness steel and the backing being ordinary RHA. An air gap then follows, then several layers of reactive armour. While not as effective at shearing penetrators or disrupting plasma jets as Explosive Reactive Armour, the rubber/RDX mixture is superior to Non Reactive Armour and can still be used as a lower layer, where it has a better chance of surviving an unshielded re–entry.

The next layer is a DU/titanium alloy designed to resist penetration of projectiles, plasma and cosmic rays through mass and hardness alone. It is backed by alternating layers of boron doped polyethylene and lead anti-radiation shielding, then by titanium and finally a spall liner based on the armour worn by Kull warriors.

All sections of the armour are modular, and are designed for rapid replacement at appropriate facilities.

However, despite all this armour, the Gallipoli class is forced to rely on shields as the main form of protection. The armour is more of a comfort than any real use in space combat - although it does provide some excellent passive radiation resistance - and it is expected that compartmentalisation will provide the only effective passive protection, if any is available.

Later Gallipoli class vessels, specifically those constructed after 2009, have done away with this armour layout and use a trinium/naquadah based alloy as the primary construction material. It was sourced independent of the SGC, thanks to the (class) class bulk carrier.

The new armour layout consists of a trinium/naquadah alloy covering bricks of titanium diboride encased in a trinium/titanium alloy. This is then backed by layers of Kull Warrior armour set at angles to the previous layer, then a layer of titanium/trinium allow, followed by an air-gap with multiple reactive armour cells. Finally, there is a naquadah/trinium layer backed by Kull Warrior armour as a spall liner.

Other Systems

The Gallipoli class is equipped with long range Asgard sensors, radar, infra-red sensors and high resolution optical cameras for all round detection of threats. It's thought that, should one type of sensor be destroyed, the others should allow the ship to function, albeit to a potentially lower degree.

As well as the Asgard shielding and sensors, the Gallipoli is equipped with a single Asgard beam, anti-weapons lock fully engaged.

Finally, the Gallipoli class is equipped with an externally mounted Sodan cloaking device. While mounting it externally does make it susceptible to battle damage, it does allow the passive anti-radiation effects of the armour to protect the crew from the radiation produced by the cloak.

Comment

pod1.jpgpod1a.jpg

something i have been occupying my spare time with, well when not dealing with my baby son and xbox...and of course the misses

sigpic

Comment

That's a nice looking ship. What function does it fill?

Comment

Working...
                                X