Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

big honking space guns??? you mean like my destroyer that im werking on that youve seen?
    or like the ones that destiny has?
    sigpicRequiescat in pace Weedle

Comment

I have seen ur destoyer and it is awsome so far u just need to add some more engines

Comment

No the ones I sent you twin barrelled mutha killers
        My FF.netStories -Stargate Atlantis Allies-Colonel Ted Hasluck Bio
        sigpic "Weedle" 27/09/1987-16/09/2010 RIP Soldier

Comment

I am going to try and design a decent naquadah power plant that will power turret placements for earth defence.The design of the power plant will be set 100 years in the future.

Comment

Guns for the 340, they'll be modded slightly to fit

Spoiler:

Comment

nice job. looking forward to seeing the final product mate

GREENED
              Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign.

Spoiler:

Comment

I like those...they look real good.

Comment

They were done by a friend of mine for a futuristic tank he's working on. I thought they would look rather well on the 340 as main armament. Alas he's not on GW, that is one of his older works, he now uses another 3D programme for his models I think it's 3D studio Max, pretty awesome stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by puddlejumperOZ View Post
                    They were done by a friend of mine for a futuristic tank he's working on. I thought they would look rather well on the 340 as main armament. Alas he's not on GW, that is one of his older works, he now uses another 3D programme for his models I think it's 3D studio Max, pretty awesome stuff.
                    Reminds me of the Mammoth, through in the case of a tank gun, I can't really see a reason for the second barrel.

Comment

They are supposed to be recoiling pulse guns I believe, here it is fitted to the 340

Spoiler:

Thanks to Setsuna for his modelling, there may yet be some finishing touches to come. Perhaps. One missile is coming out of the silo in the rear.

Comment

Can I make a suggestion on that placement of those cannons? Right now, they have sub-optimal firing arcs and it looks like they could get in each other's fields of fire.

If I were you, I would placing them in two lines across the side and top of the hangar, that are just diagonal enough to touch the edge but provide echeloned positions for them all to be able to fire forward and back.
                        Raising them on individual platforms would also give you more than enough space to angle them in order to cover as much space as possible.

My other concern is the degree of clustering I see with the sensors, one hit to the "deck-house" would wipe out a lot of sensor masts, spread them around, in space it doesn't really matter where you place them.

Comment

Tom are you refering to the smaller guns atop the hangar? If so I agree. In my original design, they were placed differently, I gave Setsu free reign with his work but comment here are much appreciated, it's how we learn.

And yes the sensors could be arrayed differently but being a small ship, there is not a lot of room. Though some could be folding arrangements on the keel of the ship.

Comment

Originally posted by puddlejumperOZ View Post
                            Tom are you refering to the smaller guns atop the hangar? If so I agree. In my original design, they were placed differently, I gave Setsu free reign with his work but comment here are much appreciated, it's how we learn.

And yes the sensors could be arrayed differently but being a small ship, there is not a lot of room. Though some could be folding arrangements on the keel of the ship.
                            And you don't actually need masts for a lot of them, modern phased array radars are just flat panels, those can be placed on the top, sides and bottom of the hangars for complete coverage of the sides, and two more can be set up to point forward and back.

Besides that, you have lidar stations, which are just telescopes really, those should be placed at corners for maximum fields of view. everything else can be internal I believe. At least I'm not aware of any system that actually requires a mast these days.

You might have a few x-ray telescopes for long range navigational and mapping purposes too.

I'd add some blast shields over the windows too(which seem rather large), maybe make the keel a flat vertical face for ease of construction.

PS. Sorry for taking the chainsaw to your model.

Comment

No probs Tom. The flat grey panels you see on the front and angeled faces are the main phased array radars, there should be one on the rear of the superstructure as well. As for the masts, they are really just a flow on from 304 design and it just adds a little something without being too naked. Here is the original design in 2D

Spoiler:

Comment

The masts would be combination of things though particularly RF comms and interception, where one mast might have several dipoles inside it for different operation bands. The may also contain isotropic passive sensors, since the separation of the masts over the surface of the ship lets you start doing interesting things with regards to objects close to the ship. Adaptive jamming would also make use of the masts, though as in the case of the comm array, you'd most likely find several antenna inside one mast.

Comment

Working...
                                X