Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blender can get even better if you're unlike me and actually understand coding/scripting

Comment

Well i understand a number of programing languages but as long as it comes to drawing i'm zero , now can you people get back to on topic
      sigpic
      Stargate Mods List

I am webxro , google me .SG,ST,SW,B5 Fan since forever.
      StarTrek Excalibur enthusiast and Pardus player .
      GW member infractions : 1

Comment

this is about ship design so it's on-topic

Comment

In my opinion Lightwave is a far superior program than blender. For example all BSG CGI was done in Lightwave.
          sigpic
          ----DeviantArt----

Comment

Well blender is free , you can make plug-ins, it's open-source,you can make games whit it and you will never see a CGI company making something whit a free program because the producers would get upset
            we pay you and you use a free thing ?
            sigpic
            Stargate Mods List

Comment

if blender is sucha high powered program why dont high end movie cg artist use it? cuz it sucks only good movie cg programs are 3ds max maya light wave and modo

Comment

in your opinion.
                And your opinion isn't fact.

So I'd suggest that you state your opinion as just that, your opinion, not a declaration of truth and fact.

If you don't like the other programs, fine. Don't use them.
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Well let me tell you a secret , people prefer to pay for a thing , when they can chose a free and maybe better one , why , well because they think that corporations want to make then best thing on the market , well no , they want to make the most profitable thing , blender might be better and cheaper and it can edit all other 3d formats but in the end its corporation vs open source , just like Firefox Vs Internet explorer
                  Spoiler:
                  sigpic
                  Stargate Mods List

Comment

moving swiftly back on topic, here's a three flying tubes in formation for a bit of fun

and because of GWs new image resize thingymajig I'm just going to post the link to the image.

Why Lord has Paint foresaken my signature?
                    sigpic

Comment

if blender is sucha high powered program why dont high end movie cg artist use it? cuz it sucks only good movie cg programs are 3ds max maya light wave and modo
                      look i don't know anything about lightwave other than it being a very powerful program. i found this list some time ago and Blender was by FAR, FAR and by that i mean "lightyear" far superior to all other free programs.

Lightwave you pay for, so does Maya. i checked this Maya manual and it seems pretty much like blender although it appears slightly more advanced.

TBH i don't know the exact differences between Maya Blender and Lightwave. there has to be something, and i think the "open source" part of Blender might be a down-side.

or companies think it's tricky stuff and their lawyers advised them to just buy the stuff. mind you, Blender is free. Maya is 1500-3000 bucks i believe, and Lightwave somewhere near 1000. obviously there's SOMETHING that makes those two better.

however in terms of cost/effectiveness, Blender dominates all. again not an expert on the other two, but if you can save a few thousand bucks for like, 90% of all abilities then that's a good deal IMHO.

maybe i can find a reason why Blender isn't used by major companies although again, Maya/Lightwave would have stuff like someone you can call when it goes wrong and has things like a Helpdesk (Costumer service)

Blender has a depth and breadth of features comparable to commercial, proprietary, high-end and mid-range 3D software. A fairly comprehensive comparison between the available 3D software can be viewed at the TDT 3D comparison of major 3D packages, a user survey by CGeinie, and at this comparison chart. Blender has areas where it is more limited than many of its commercial counterparts such as a lack of Font Preview for text, lack of N-gon-based modeling workflow and some missing or incomplete modeling tools, and a lack of a standard library of material presets but does have downloadable resources; however, in other areas Blender is on the leading edge such as the advanced algorithms utilized for its UV unwrapping.
                      Blender has also tended to lack up-to-date and complete documentation (because it was originally an in-house program),[10] an issue that is being addressed through the wikification of the Blender documentation project, the 2006 Blender Summer of Documentation project, and the June 2007 introductory book "Essential Blender", which was published by Blender Foundation. Additionally, a number of other books on using Blender have been published by publishers unaffiliated with the Blender Foundation.
                      The Blender installer is small compared to other fully-functional 3D graphic software. For example the Blender installer of 2.49 build for Windows 32 bits is 10.5 MB, requiring 36 MB after installation, and a lite build takes 2.2 MB; whereas software like AutoCAD requires around 2 GB. As such, Blender can be easily downloaded (although some guide books still include Blender on a CD).
                      wikipedia.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                        look i don't know anything about lightwave other than it being a very powerful program. i found this list some time ago and Blender was by FAR, FAR and by that i mean "lightyear" far superior to all other free programs.

Lightwave you pay for, so does Maya. i checked this Maya manual and it seems pretty much like blender although it appears slightly more advanced.

TBH i don't know the exact differences between Maya Blender and Lightwave. there has to be something, and i think the "open source" part of Blender might be a down-side.

or companies think it's tricky stuff and their lawyers advised them to just buy the stuff. mind you, Blender is free. Maya is 1500-3000 bucks i believe, and Lightwave somewhere near 1000. obviously there's SOMETHING that makes those two better.

however in terms of cost/effectiveness, Blender dominates all. again not an expert on the other two, but if you can save a few thousand bucks for like, 90% of all abilities then that's a good deal IMHO.

maybe i can find a reason why Blender isn't used by major companies although again, Maya/Lightwave would have stuff like someone you can call when it goes wrong and has things like a Helpdesk (Costumer service)

wikipedia.
                        Yeah I found that too and aparently it's used for commericals and pre visualizations for story boarding.

Comment

Landing test for the pick-leg ship.

Spoiler:
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Experiment 442 View Post

Spoiler:
                            Looking good 442. Keep it up!

"Oddly, this is familiar to you, as if it were from an old dream, but you can't exactly remember..."

Comment

Originally posted by Experiment 442 View Post

Spoiler:
                              Looks really unbalanced actually. Is it a drop-ship?

Comment

It probably will look really unbalanced, because I haven't had enough time to make the thrusters at the front yet.

And yes, it is a dropship of some kind.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X