Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

not a limit. what i meant is, if you're gonna have 1km long warships in a spacebattle that's not at absolute point-blank range, then you'd need to scale them down quite small to make proper scenes.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
      not a limit. what i meant is, if you're gonna have 1km long warships in a spacebattle that's not at absolute point-blank range, then you'd need to scale them down quite small to make proper scenes.
      Really? I'm starting to wonder if we're talking about the same program..

Comment

whatever

just stick to this thought:
        Although making anything that big is absolutely pointless... Why would you need to model at 1:1 scale in a virtual environment?

you know what, scale up a cube in blender to be 100 000 blender units long. now try to get that cube in your screen.

Comment

whatever

just stick to this thought:

you know what, scale up a cube in blender to be 100 000 blender units long. now try to get that cube in your screen.
          there is zoom in blender yes?

Comment

But why would I need to?

Comment

no you dont... there are things called "perspective cameras" and the grid in the scene is editable meaning you can make it as big as you like. atleast in lightwave and modo.

clearly you know very little about CGI and you are just trying to come off as an allmighty knowitall even tho most know that you are not.
              Last edited by Alx; 13 May 2010, 09:23 AM.

Comment

clearly you know very little about CGI and you are just trying to come off as an allmighty knowitall even tho most know that you are not.
                oh please ALX.

don't see everything i talk about as a personal attack or an insult.
                also, please stop jumping to conclusions.
                lastly, please think before you type.

that'll save us a whole lot of time.

in other news: i'm building an idea of mine.

Comment

oh please ALX.

that'll save us a whole lot of time.

in other news: i'm building an idea of mine.
                  jumping to conclusions? to me is more then clear you have little to no talent for cgi and you know even less about it, so when you type that you know everything about it and exactly how it works i find it funny and i feel the need to call you on your BS its as simple as that.

and what do you mean by "jumping to conclusions"??
                  there was no jumping involved i mearly read your BS and respond to it.

and see everything you type as an insult? LOL.

think before I type? i think that you should think things thruogh before YOU type! that will save the rest of the GW community alot of time.

cleary you dont have the neccesary linquistic skill to make clear statements or even understand mine as you respond with

which has NOTHING to do with the discussion at hand. also i am starting to question your maturity as the moment someone disproves on of your ridiculous statements you either go quiet or respond in the manner you just did.

and judging by the massive greenings ive had anytime ive disproved a statement of yours i know im not the only one who feels like this.
                  Last edited by Alx; 13 May 2010, 10:15 AM.

Comment

clearly you dont have the necessary linguistic skill to make clear statements or even understand mine as you respond
                    i'm not good at explaining stuff. i know that.

also ALX the tone of your responses...

please. i've seen you react to mere criticism with the fiery intensity of nuclear fusion.

But why would I need to?
                    it's a test. if you do get a good picture of it then my blender is screwed. if you can barely get 10% of it in view, then i'm right.

and judging by the massive greenings ive had anytime ive disproved a statement of yours i know im not the only one who feels like this.
                    because generally i'm right and people like to see me wrong. also i have no way of verifying your greens, as copying can be manipulated and judging by your computer and skills, a screenshot isn't reliable as well.

Comment

i'm not good at explaining stuff. i know that.

also ALX the tone of your responses...

please. i've seen you react to mere criticism with the fiery intensity of nuclear fusion.

it's a test. if you do get a good picture of it then my blender is screwed. if you can barely get 10% of it in view, then i'm right.

because generally i'm right and people like to see me wrong. also i have no way of verifying your greens, as copying can be manipulated and judging by your computer and skills, a screenshot isn't reliable as well.
                      That's an interesting observation. That people like to see your wrong because you're typically right.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt *quite a bit in this case since even with my limited CGI knowledge, i know Alx is right in this case* and we can roll with that comment.

Why then are people yearning to see you wrong?

Also, you can see Alx's greenbar status. It doesn't say who or for what posts, but to get to that level so fast is quite an accomplishment.

Also, can't you manually input your zoom in Blender? (i don't use it so i'm speculating) As in how far away you are from your target hence changing perspective? It sounds to me like you're using the mouse zoom instead of manually inputting coordinates. (admittedly this is a guess)
                      Originally posted by Apostle's Message Redux
                      Shepard understood. Given the situation, he wasn't sure that exposing the planet to this kind of secret was smart. Miranda had regaled him with stories of how horrible 20th century Earth sounded in her history lessons and it made him leery. "I agree, god knows what would happen if Grunt got loose."

Joker snorted and muttered loudly. "Run! It's The Incredible Hulk! Kill it with fire!"
                      Read the story ---- Apostle's Message Redux, ME/SG Crossover

Comment

Also, you can see Alx's greenbar status. It doesn't say who or for what posts, but to get to that level so fast is quite an accomplishment.
                        oh i have a VERY simple and obvious explanation: his 3 Destinies, 2 304's, iron man model, a ton of other models i forgot and what not, plus the average challenge submission and the occasional post must've given him that level of green.

where do i claim to be a CGI master ? i never did. i know i can be better that this. however both sketchup and blender get exponentially slower as time increases. basic build: still at full speed. start greebling: at 10% greebling there is a significant drop in computer speed. at 30% greebling, there is permanent lag. i usually don't get much further than 40% or so. at 40% of what i intend to do, i'm looking at an average of 4-6 seconds per line. that means, for every line i draw it takes 6 seconds. 2 seconds to get the right spot, 6 seconds to make the draw, 3 seconds to see the line. then several seconds to see what my next line will be, and repeat process.

needless to say, that my modelling speed decreases significantly. at school, the PC's are faster at modelling but worse at rendering.

anyway a better computer is on my wishlist.

That's an interesting observation. That people like to see your wrong because you're typically right.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt *quite a bit in this case since even with my limited CGI knowledge, i know Alx is right in this case* and we can roll with that comment.

Why then are people yearning to see you wrong?
                        if someone is always right, anyone would love to see such a person be wrong. i'm not always right, however i've probably gained some enemies with my Pro SGU campaign.

Comment

Stop it goddammit!

On a lighter subject.

Real Life Model

Astraeus
                          Spoiler:
                          Astraeus is a joint venture by the United Nations to harvest Helium 3 from the atmosphere of Jupiter.

With the dwindling reserves of Uranium on Earth it became precedent to all to find alternative energy sources. It has been known that Helium 3 has been available on the Moon for decades but recent explorations of Jupiter have determined that Jupiter has far more He3 and it in far greater concentrations. This Helium 3 is needed for nuclear fusion and has since become the most valuable element.

Call signs Astraeus 1, 2, 3, and 4 these four helium 3 transportation vessels move He3 from Jupiter to Earth on 20 year cycles, two at a time. Every 19 years and 10 months Jupiter and Saturn line up with the Sun. Using this, the Astraeus Trains leave Earth and deploy a solar sail and accelerate to a speed of .20 the speed of light or 63 km/s before they start to decelerate. When leaving Jupiter they head towards Saturn, slingshot around it, and use the gained speed from the gravity to reach Earth in two years reaching a max speed of .45 the speed of light or 142 km/s.

More to come, I have it in my head I just need to put it in writing.

There are multiple cars but only two in this render with the "locomotive". Not even close to being done, more to come. 800,000 Polygons.
                          Attached Files
                          sigpic
                          ----DeviantArt----

Comment

oh i have a VERY simple and obvious explanation: his 3 Destinies, 2 304's, iron man model, a ton of other models i forgot and what not, plus the average challenge submission and the occasional post must've given him that level of green.

where do i claim to be a CGI master ? i never did. i know i can be better that this. however both sketchup and blender get exponentially slower as time increases. basic build: still at full speed. start greebling: at 10% greebling there is a significant drop in computer speed. at 30% greebling, there is permanent lag. i usually don't get much further than 40% or so. at 40% of what i intend to do, i'm looking at an average of 4-6 seconds per line. that means, for every line i draw it takes 6 seconds. 2 seconds to get the right spot, 6 seconds to make the draw, 3 seconds to see the line. then several seconds to see what my next line will be, and repeat process.

needless to say, that my modelling speed decreases significantly. at school, the PC's are faster at modelling but worse at rendering.

anyway a better computer is on my wishlist.

if someone is always right, anyone would love to see such a person be wrong. i'm not always right, however i've probably gained some enemies with my Pro SGU campaign.
                            So it has nothing to do with the arrogance of saying "I'm right, you're not?"

Making claims like that requires proof. You've explained your test in Blender, but that doesn't necesarily cover other CGI programs.

I know 3dsMax somewhat, but i can only guess how it works in other programs.

And the less talk about SGU the better IMO because i'm tired of writing essays explaining my dislike for it, or else my post just gets deleted or modded.. In short, i don't like it, and i don't care if anyone else likes it or not.
                            Originally posted by Apostle's Message Redux
                            Shepard understood. Given the situation, he wasn't sure that exposing the planet to this kind of secret was smart. Miranda had regaled him with stories of how horrible 20th century Earth sounded in her history lessons and it made him leery. "I agree, god knows what would happen if Grunt got loose."

Joker snorted and muttered loudly. "Run! It's The Incredible Hulk! Kill it with fire!"
                            Read the story ---- Apostle's Message Redux, ME/SG Crossover

Comment

i have a GREAT idea: lets get back to basics.

the reason we're here is because of scaling.

in Sketchup you can scale indefinately. wheter your object is the size of a moon or the size of a microbe doesn't matter, it's all possible.

Blender has a grid fashion where points have actual coordinates. scaling does have an impact. not on filesize, but particle systems and all do have a change in looks as size increases. another thing is that the camera and the view itself have a limited range (thus you can not see beyond that range) and there is a maximum in the coordinates.

Comment

i have a GREAT idea: lets get back to basics.

the reason we're here is because of scaling.

in Sketchup you can scale indefinately. wheter your object is the size of a moon or the size of a microbe doesn't matter, it's all possible.

Blender has a grid fashion where points have actual coordinates. scaling does have an impact. not on filesize, but particle systems and all do have a change in looks as size increases. another thing is that the camera and the view itself have a limited range (thus you can not see beyond that range) and there is a maximum in the coordinates.
                                So... the two programs work in slightly different ways... and this is important enough to fight about?

Comment

Working...
                                X