This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
    I have never tried that. How do you scale the model after building it?
    I used to build everything to scale...my fighter carrier was over 1000m long. When I started building the stations I decided to build to a scale so that I could add other ships and not crash the program. since then I have built to the scale. I think alex prefers it now as my scaled down settings have the 304 at 125mL rather than 600mL! lol
    It's much easier to create and add details to scaled designs.

You mentioned that you are having problems with a 150mL box...why? Have you zoomed out?

sigpic

Comment

while Sketchup doesn't care about scale, others like Blender do. Blender uses grid construction while Sketchup is more about ratio's. essentially you can make a ship on the scale of a planet and you can scale it down to the size of a microbe

Comment

Originally posted by Pharaoh Hamenthotep View Post
        ---snip

Iron Man update
        sweet looking mighty good

I have never tried that. How do you scale the model after building it?
        Select the whole object and then press "S" and the scaling options apear.

Originally posted by Merlin1701 View Post
        I used to build everything to scale...my fighter carrier was over 1000m long. When I started building the stations I decided to build to a scale so that I could add other ships and not crash the program. since then I have built to the scale. I think alex prefers it now as my scaled down settings have the 304 at 125mL rather than 600mL! lol

You mentioned that you are having problems with a 150mL box...why? Have you zoomed out?
        what? how big something is has no effect on the readability of the files. look an object can be 100000000m x 10000000000m or 1x1m it doesnt matter as the readability is all about the geometry (wires) not the "virtual" size of an object, and the more geom you add (models like more ship etc) the harder the read and export will be it has nothing to do with scale.

And i do? hmm maybe i do..
        as for it being easier to make detail to scale i dont agree i NEVER scale anything i build first then make it fit on the object or ship i intended the part/detail for.

just my oppinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Merlin1701 View Post

Well I did the box but the length of the box ran along the green axis... I found it too big to work with as I had to scroll the model a lot to get from the front to the back... That's why I asked if most things are just drawn in a smaller size on screen to work with then made bigger?
          Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
            while Sketchup doesn't care about scale, others like Blender do. Blender uses grid construction while Sketchup is more about ratio's. essentially you can make a ship on the scale of a planet and you can scale it down to the size of a microbe
            so blender screws the readability and increases the filesize when scaled? imo thats retarded why would the program save something completly unneccesary?

as far as im aware neither Lightwave nor MODO does this..

Comment

Well I did the box but the length of the box ran along the green axis... I found it too big to work with as I had to scroll the model a lot to get from the front to the back... That's why I asked if most things are just drawn in a smaller size on screen to work with then made bigger?
              however big something is you will still have to scroll ALOT.
              but like i said scale isnt important like that and yeas everyone mostly uses layers and components to make the program work with them.

Comment

Originally posted by Alx View Post
                however big something is you will still have to scroll ALOT.
                but like i said scale isnt important like that and yeas everyone mostly uses layers and components to make the program work with them.
                Well what if I make long ships in sections and add the length as I go with push/pull?
                Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Alx View Post
                  so blender screws the readability and increases the filesize when scaled? imo thats retarded why would the program save something completly unneccesary?
                  If it does I've never noticed it...

And I just scaled Iron Man to one millionth of it's original size and it had no effect on the geometry of the model or the file size

Comment

i'm not sure if it screws readability and file size.

Comment

i'm not sure if it screws readability and file size.
                      From what I've seen in the year I've been using Blender.. it doesn't.

Comment

guess killmans statement is moot then

Comment

not moot. from what i can tell, blender assigns a location to a dot, and tells which dots connect to what other dots. it uses a framework in which these dots are placed. whether a dot is in (001,001,001) or in (1000,1000,1000) doesn't impact filesize.

Sketchup uses lines, assigns them a lenght (A x (number)) and when you scale, the A increases. thus the object is the same, but the length of the lines have increased. it doesn't seem to work in a grid.

Comment

not moot. from what i can tell, blender assigns a location to a dot, and tells which dots connect to what other dots. it uses a framework in which these dots are placed. whether a dot is in (001,001,001) or in (1000,1000,1000) doesn't impact filesize.

Sketchup uses lines, assigns them a lenght (A x (number)) and when you scale, the A increases. thus the object is the same, but the length of the lines have increased. it doesn't seem to work in a grid.
                            nor doest it impact readability so again what are you on about? both modo and lightwave uses a grid and "points" a.k.a vertices or vertex's and those are olnly where other parts of the mesh meats or the mesh ends

this rescent rant of your makes no sense and makes no point what so ever where are you getting with it?

are you claiming you cant scale in blender? if so PH disproved that simply enough
                            what are you saying?

Comment

my point from the beginning was simple: in sketchup you can scale indefinately. in Blender not. you have a limit amount of units. the smallest coordinate is .001, the biggest 999.999.

a ship therefore can not be bigger than 19,999.9998 blender units. also once your object becomes bigger than 200 units in lenght, you have to adjust the camera and regular distance limits, and at some point it's simply not practical anymore.

that's the point i was making.

this can be worked around by taking .1 blender unit as the equivalent of a meter, in stead of 1 blender unit.

however you also have stuff like camera limits. to make a proper space battle you'd need to scale your ships to, like, 3 blender units in lenght maximum.

Comment

*stretched a Blender cube to 2,000,000 Blender units*

Although making anything that big is absolutely pointless... Why would you need to model at 1:1 scale in a virtual environment?

And a 3 Blender unit limit? Iron Man is going to be 40 Blender units tall.....

Comment

Working...
                                X