This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FN-P90 View Post
    Ive been messing around with a transportship idea.

Spoiler:

Cool looking ship can't wait to see it finished.

The only problem, if you can call it that, is a pet peeve of mine where I don't really like the command centers to be in the very front of a spacecraft or any other craft due to the fact that when they ram into something that is the first thing to go.

You know I'm going to have to design a new Small Multi-Mission ship myself just to see what I come up with.

Comment

Spoiler:
      sigpic
      ----DeviantArt----

Comment

are the smaller ships more "daedalus-ish" in size, and the big one big, or are they small ships and the big one normal?
        sigpic

Spoiler:
        Originally posted by IMDB
        Revealing mistakes: Throughout the series, the IDC is received by the SGC before the wormhole has been established.
        Hehe

Comment

Originally posted by tjoflojt View Post
          are the smaller ships more "daedalus-ish" in size, and the big one big, or are they small ships and the big one normal?
          I dont know yet, I'll have to do a comparison
          sigpic
          ----DeviantArt----

Comment

Excellent looking ships as always boberth2o.

Here's an update for my entry over on the Modeling Challenge Thread.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Here is a closer view of the bridge.

And here, just for fun, is a closer view of one of the ten engines.

Any comments or ideas?

Comment

Here we go
              Spoiler:
              sigpic
              ----DeviantArt----

Comment

Is that the prommy to the right?
                looks great, btw^^
                sigpic

Spoiler:
                Originally posted by IMDB
                Revealing mistakes: Throughout the series, the IDC is received by the SGC before the wormhole has been established.
                Hehe

Comment

Originally posted by boberth2o View Post
                  I see your sticking with the Ancient theme RJB
                  Yeah I have plans for a whole fleet and may do a story or two based on a group of ancients that escaped the war with the wraith.

"Space isn't remote at all. It's only an hour's drive away if your car could go straight upwards." - Fred Hoyle
                  Feel free to visit my Art Work.

Comment

Originally posted by tjoflojt View Post
                    Is that the prommy to the right?
                    looks great, btw^^
                    Yep that's the prommy.

Originally posted by RJB View Post
                    Yeah I have plans for a whole fleet and may do a story or two based on a group of ancients that escaped the war with the wraith.
                    Oooo interesting. . . .
                    sigpic
                    ----DeviantArt----

Comment

How large is that Prometheus Model supposed to be Bob?

A whole fleet of ancient warships RJB? Now that will be something to see especially in a grandiose scene involving a starry galactic background.

Here is my attempt at a small multi-mission Starship

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

And here is an M-1 Abrams tank rolling out onto a rather washed out looking plane on some other world.

Any thoughts on this ship? I will be adding a spec sheet later.

Comment

Originally posted by Daryl Froggy View Post
                        Cool looking ship can't wait to see it finished.

The only problem, if you can call it that, is a pet peeve of mine where I don't really like the command centers to be in the very front of a spacecraft or any other craft due to the fact that when they ram into something that is the first thing to go.

You know I'm going to have to design a new Small Multi-Mission ship myself just to see what I come up with.
                        Well i did it for a stream line look thats it
                        Carl Sagan on Nuclear self Destruction

Comment

Originally posted by FN-P90 View Post
                          Well i did it for a stream line look thats it
                          That's alright its your ship. My pet peeves should have no effects on it.

Anywho I decided to make a short scene with my Small Multi-Mission Starship.

I hope you all enjoy it.

Spoiler:

Not exactly the best thing ever but considering its my first time trying something quite like this I don't think that I did so bad.

Comment

Here's another small update. I've been working away at the front.

Spoiler:

Comment

Finger this is going to sound stupid but how do you come up with and decide to use those small details on your ships?

Comment

Originally posted by Daryl Froggy View Post
                                Finger this is going to sound stupid but how do you come up with and decide to use those small details on your ships?
                                A lot of it is bevelling. What I basically did was I took my basic hull shape for the top half and then selected random groups of polygons (for instance two polygons to make a rectangle, or three to make an 'L' shape, etc.) and I paste them into a new layer, then use Smooth Shift to make them 3D instead of a 2D polygon and this also raises them off of the original hull to stand out like plating. Then I bevel them at least once to round off the edges a little bit and make them more interesting, and might use the Cut feature to add more polygons to the surface so that I can bevel them out even further or inwards. This has limitations though, because if it's all that you do then your patterns get kind of boring.

For good detail I try to model random greebles separately and paste them into their own layer to compliment the bevelling. I just choose pretty basic shapes.

I'm still not very good at it though. I'm pleased with how the ship is progressing, but I still have a lot of work to do to get really nice quality greebling.

A lot of the details that are on it right now weren't originally intended to be used that way though. Like those grill bits were intended for the underside but instead I used a Boolean Subtraction to cut out a chunk of the hull and threw them in there. Same for those little spikes on the side of the nose. I try not to delete details until I'm finished, even if I don't use them for what they were intended for. Because more often than not something that you might have discarded earlier can come in really handy later on in the modelling process.

Comment

Working...
                                X