This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by boberth2o View Post
    If you can email me the model I could export it into a 3DS format and then email that back to you so you could use it in your new program.
    No no no no no!
    Do not use 3DS. It is an obsolete format. If you are gonna convert, use .Obj. It is universally accepted, and (in my experience at least) has much better chance of converting successfully.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by titan_hq View Post
      No no no no no!
      Do not use 3DS. It is an obsolete format. If you are gonna convert, use .Obj. It is universally accepted, and (in my experience at least) has much better chance of converting successfully.
      well, in .OBJ I have found that faces do not fully export and you have a complete model with several faces missing, however when you export it a .3DS there is merely a foreground layer of polygons created and all you need to do it erase them. And that part happens to be extremely easy in lightwave.
      Last edited by boberth2o; 06 March 2009, 04:25 PM.
      sigpic
      ----DeviantArt----

Comment

Originally posted by Experiement 442 View Post
        paint is a bad way to go with ship designs, i perfere google sketchup 7, you can download it for free and its really easy to use. the ship is also slightly fanwank, and i mean fanwank not fanwork, where are the drones coming from, where's this ori beam coming from and where's the chair coming from? as i said, use google sketchup 7, its good for beginners. you can make stuff like the robot.

Spoiler:
        thanks for the advice. and here is the info you wanted. the chire was taken from the Tria.
        sigpic
        Alt Reality Stargate Fanfic Click and coment
        STARGATE RESURRECTION

Comment

well, in .OBJ I have found that faces do not fully export and you have a complete model with several faces missing, however when you export it a .3DS there is merely a foreground layer of polygon created and all you need to do it erase them. And that part happens to be extremely easy in lightwave.
          Yeah using obj is tricky as each program use the file format in different and random and funky ways.

The one problem I had was that when exporting from Sketchup to Maya, in Maya it would import in some completely random location. Ann it only happen when I export from Sketchup.

Saying this I expect in the coming years as obj become more standard and it implementation and as the software companies begin to relies that cgi industry want standardise and transferable files.

Comment

Yeah its all tricky.
            sigpic
            ----DeviantArt----

Comment

Maya is tricky with exporting mirrored geometry too (which is how i like to work). It flips the faces and it makes the model look like poop.
              Visit my Website

Comment

yeah one thing about Sketchup is when you export large models like my space station, It's exporting one and a half million polygons but the models actually six hundred thousand. And boy does that take some time.
                sigpic
                ----DeviantArt----

Comment

well, in .OBJ I have found that faces do not fully export and you have a complete model with several faces missing, however when you export it a .3DS there is merely a foreground layer of polygons created and all you need to do it erase them. And that part happens to be extremely easy in lightwave.
                  yeah one thing about Sketchup is when you export large models like my space station, It's exporting one and a half million polygons but the models actually six hundred thousand. And boy does that take some time.
                  Yeah a other thing I notice is when I playing with export people models was that it double all the polygons and literally made two polygons stick on top of each other.

Comment

Originally posted by knowles2 View Post
                    Cool robot, be nice to have a few them at the SGC for supporting the SG units in the field.
                    YOUR WELCOME! Im the one who posted that! And its not a robot. its a Mobile Suit. These are not used as support, the Infantry supports them., They are about 19 meters tall and have the manuverablility of the Human body and have thick armor plating. The rifle seen in the GM's hand is a 90mm rifle. Tanks, Armord Vehicles, even Fighters are far out shined by Mobile SUits.
                    Carl Sagan on Nuclear self Destruction

Comment

Ugh, learning is overrated. I finish one thing on this then figure out how to do it differently or better, and have to redo the entire section. Now I'm thinking of removing the trench at the front altogether and redoing the ribbing.

It will never end. I've only worked on it for a few hours this week and have barely made any additions lol, it's just editing something then deleting it and rebuilding it then deleting it again.

Spoiler:

EDIT: Ahhh crap just saw a mistake that I didn't catch before rendering, the missile bays are being partially hidden by the head of the ship. I extended it backwards without remembering that.

Comment

great looking ship! what program is it made with? an is that easy to use?

I used to have Blender, but I dont get it at all, and now i use Scetchup, which is good, but not as good looking.

www.darkarmada.nl
                        www.runescape.com

Ode aan Nederlandsch-Indië

Comment

Originally posted by General_Finley View Post
                          thanks for the advice. and here is the info you wanted. the chire was taken from the Tria.
                          Spoiler:
                          no, i mean where is it coming from? earth doesn't know how to make ori beam weapons, and neither drones. so using them in a ship is stupid. you can't use ZPM's either as we can't make them. keep trying though, it takes practice until you can do it properly. I just read a few ship design threads until i understood it all. But nearly all acient and ori tech is no go for nearly all ships. use asgard tech seeing as we got the core.

EDIT: and why take the chair from another ship when you can use that one?
                          Why Lord has Paint foresaken my signature?
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by FN-P90 View Post
                            YOUR WELCOME! Im the one who posted that! And its not a robot. its a Mobile Suit. These are not used as support, the Infantry supports them., They are about 19 meters tall and have the manuverablility of the Human body and have thick armor plating. The rifle seen in the GM's hand is a 90mm rifle. Tanks, Armord Vehicles, even Fighters are far out shined by Mobile SUits.
                            so its a transformer then?
                            Why Lord has Paint foresaken my signature?
                            sigpic

Comment

Name:
                              Furling Flagship

Registry:
                              FFS-###

Type:
                              Planetary ship

Technology base:
                              Furling/Ancient

Operators:
                              N/A

Naval Classification:
                              N/A

Hull:
                              N/A

Decks:
                              N/A

Dimensions:
                              Radius- 6,371.0 km
                              Circumference- 40,041.47 km
                              Volume- 1.0832073x1012 km3

Crew:
                              N/A

~Maximum Personnel:
                              N/A

Craft:
                              N/A

Power plant:
                              1x Geothermal Siphon Plant
                              3x Multi-verse Subspace Energy Vacuums

Engines:
                              48x Furling Super Ion Thrusters (SIT)

Hyperdrive Engines:
                              3x Furling Expansion Drives
                              1x Furling Advanced Hyperdrives

Armament/Weapons:
                              52x Crystallization Pulse Emplacements
                              24x107 x Conversion Missile Emplacements
                              3x Furling Power Lances

Defences:
                              570x Shield emitters
                              57x Shield generators
                              200x Shield Amplifiers
                              1000x Cloak emitters
                              600x Cloak generators

Other Technology:
                              1. Rings
                              2. "Touchstone" Device
                              3. Transporters
                              4. Matter Converters
                              5. Research Labs
                              6. A load of other stuff
                              7. Stargate

Technical and Historical Notes:
                              Long ago the Furlings set out to explore the Universe. Not possessing the hyperdrive capabilities to do so they came up with an ingenious solution. Upon seven planets they set up multiple power facilities, followed by manuvering thrusters, followed by shields, followed by a cloak and finally hyperdrives. Using the "Touchstone" technology the kept the planets under their control and set out to explore the universe, taking their planets with them.
                              Basically the Furlings took seven planets and turned them into spaceships.
                              Originally posted by Craig Charles
                              "And the 'replicator' has just entered Sir Killalot's corner and Killalot is...urm...wait a minute... Sir Killalot has just been eaten by the 'replicator' and now there's two of them..."

Comment

Originally posted by Experiement 442 View Post
                                so its a transformer then?
                                No. Its piloted by a person its just that It can kick the mess out of Tanks, Armord vehicles and Fighters for the most part unless they get a lucky shot on the Mobile Suit. I mean that one alones has a main weapon that is a 90mm machine gun. Think about that. All those shells hiting a tank in rapid succession will demolish it.
                                Carl Sagan on Nuclear self Destruction

Comment

Working...
                                X