This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by boberth2o View Post
    you should add some more greebles to the center of the very back of the ship its kinda black except for the textures.
    Yeah I'm going to, I'm not finished with the ship. I just wanted to test texturing since I've never done it before.

I still have greebling to do to the back, a bit on the sides and some on the top.

Comment

That ship is so awesome...I can't describe it.

And it screams Traveler ship to me.

By the way, if we (the Fleet) use it, could you convert the finished file to either .3ds or, better yet, .skp? An .skp file could be put on the Google warehouse, but if you'll email me the finished model in .3ds I can convert it to .skp for use by fleet members.
      sigpic

The New GateWorld Virtual Fleet Database

Comment

Originally posted by Lt. Col. Mcoy View Post
        That ship is so awesome...I can't describe it.

And it screams Traveler ship to me.

By the way, if we (the Fleet) use it, could you convert the finished file to either .3ds or, better yet, .skp? An .skp file could be put on the Google warehouse, but if you'll email me the finished model in .3ds I can convert it to .skp for use by fleet members.
        The problem with it being a Traveler ship is that the Travelers shouldn't be wasting resources on large, lumbering cruisers; all their efforts should be going into producing small, agile, and capable craft that can evade enemies and escape danger along with their home fleet.

Just my two cents, but it doesn't seem to fit their philosophy to start cranking out warships.
        Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
        Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
          The problem with it being a Traveler ship is that the Travelers shouldn't be wasting resources on large, lumbering cruisers; all their efforts should be going into producing small, agile, and capable craft that can evade enemies and escape danger along with their home fleet.

Just my two cents, but it doesn't seem to fit their philosophy to start cranking out warships.
          I fully agree. That's how I made my version of their warship. A skinny-ass anorexic piece of pipe if there ever was one.

Comment

No, they should crank out big, spacious warship, because every Traveler ship doubles as a small town. That fits what we've seen; even the Traveler Aurora, with its massive population, was still taken into battle. Any Traveler ship is lived on, no matter the danger. They know the risks, and they accept them. Therefore, small, cramped ships would be anathema to the Travelers.
            sigpic

Comment

No, they should crank out big, spacious warship, because every Traveler ship doubles as a small town. That fits what we've seen; even the Traveler Aurora, with its massive population, was still taken into battle. Any Traveler ship is lived on, no matter the danger. They know the risks, and they accept them. Therefore, small, cramped ships would be anathema to the Travelers.
              Except they've lost the infrastructure to build such large ships. And alrge ships are at a dissadvanatage when facing off LACs since their not as maneuvrable.

Comment

We have no proof that the Aurora was ever populated. It could easily have just been used for combat, and since it would always be on fighting duty, no civilians were ever put onboard. And the Travelers put a premium on protecting their peoples' lives, only going into battle when it could drastically change their fortunes for the better (as was the case with the Asurans and Attero device). They wouldn't waste precious resources on things like this, not unless they had an abundance of stuff on hand and a sudden desire to take the fight to the Wraith big-time, which they have yet to show.
                Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

The Aurora was indeed populated!! That's what they wanted it for!! It was landed at the colony when it was destroyed.
                  sigpic

Comment

The Aurora was indeed populated!! That's what they wanted it for!! It was landed at the colony when it was destroyed.
                    No, they wanted it because it would allow them to defend their entire fleet from the Wraith with ease. It was probably landed so that any sort of offensive could be met quickly and easily (no need to recall the ship from far off).

Comment

What? Larrin specifically stated why they needed it; population problems.
                      sigpic

Comment

What? Larrin specifically stated why they needed it; population problems.
                        Did she really? I must have missed that... I'll go look for a transcript.

Comment

Yeah:

Originally posted by Larrin
                          Look, I know you don't agree with my tactics, but I wasn't lying about why I need this ship. I'm doing this for my people.
                          sigpic

Comment

No, they wanted it because it would allow them to defend their entire fleet from the Wraith with ease. It was probably landed so that any sort of offensive could be met quickly and easily (no need to recall the ship from far off).
                            I hate to break this to you, but:

"Travelers" 4x05 (emphasis added)
                            LARRIN (whispering): You know, none of this would have ever happened if you would have just co-operated. You'd be home by now and I'd be headed back to my people with a ship that could house a thousand men, women and children.
                            Lt. Col. Mcoy is right about the Travelers' use for the Ancient Warship.
                            "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
                            - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
                            - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
                            - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

Originally posted by Quadhelix View Post
                              I hate to break this to you, but:

Lt. Col. Mcoy is right about the Travelers' use for the Ancient Warship.
                              Regardless, it was something they happened to come upon, and therefore used. They didn't waste time or resources building such a thing themselves, nor does it look like they would.

Comment

Regardless, it was something they happened to come upon, and therefore used. They didn't waste time or resources building such a thing themselves, nor does it look like they would.
                                Their ships are bigger than the one I made. They have several decks and are by no means small.

That being said, my ship wouldn't house that many people. At least, it wasn't meant to. The only habitable part of the ship would be the front of it. Everything past the weapons systems in the neck would only have access for servicing and maintenance.

It wouldn't have a very big crew.

Comment

Working...
                                X