• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
    is this a wole ship or just the nose?

and we can always adapt
    This is just the nose of it.

Originally posted by Semmer View Post
    Nice! Really nice! Keep adding armor and functional panels to appropriate locations and it'll be good!

I assume that the biggest window is the bridge? If so, try to make the bridge window more complex looking, something like the daedalus bridge window. More edges, and maybe a little less in height, etc.
    Yeah, I rushed with those windows because I was just testing out the luminosity settings and glow, but I'll be going back to them after I finish up the upper portion of the hull.

like i said, keep it sleek and just add details here and there. the smoothness is really cool, and thats its power. the armor panels and such arent just details, but to make it interesting.

and we could always make it a Primox design, adopted by todd
    I posted this on Calling All Stargate Fans and someone had a good suggestion. This could be a collaboration between Todd and Atlantis or the SGC as a result of an alliance, kind of like in Babylon 5 when Earth and the Minbari make those White Stars or whatever.

That way it would explain why the Wraith ship was so advanced, yet still retains aspects of both Tau'ri and Wraith designs.

I think that is the smartest way to go.

It could even have a compliment of both Wraith and Human crew members, though that may be pushing things haha. I'm not quite sure what the Alternate Universe says about us being allies with Todd.
    Last edited by Finger13; 17 November 2008, 09:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Finger13 View Post
      Just an update. I figured out shadowing and radiosity, so that makes it look much nicer in the light. Also takes 30 minutes to render, I can only imagine how many hours it will take when complete lol. I need a quad core.

Spoiler:

This is only with the anti-aliasing on Enhanced Low. Usually I would do it on Enhanced High or Extreme, but the render times with radiosity enabled are ridiculous.

I'm still adding details to the top, at which point I will finish up on the middle then start on the bottom. I figure I might as well finish the front before adding the other parts of the ship, just to save rendering times and clutter.

I'm still not crazy about this being Wraith though guys. Nor about it being a couple of kilometres long. The size of the details to the hull and such that I'm adding do not scale correctly with a ship of that magnitude. And I don't see the point in a ship that long. The length of the ship has nothing to do with its capabilities. I want this ship to be shielded, and providing a shield to encompass something the size of Atlantis would take ridiculous amounts of power and would be impractical.

The smaller the ship, while retaining shields and the same weaponry means a much deadlier force. The intended length of 500, or maybe even 700 metres is by no means small, that'd make it either half a kilometre long, or almost half of a mile. That's a long distance.

Think of it like shooting targets. Is it harder to hit an oil barrel or a soup can? The same thing applies in space battles. The only reason that Hives are so stupidly large is because they are unshielded and this need the size, or else they would get devastated.
      it is a nice looking wraith ship

remember this is a new todd BC and it is build by metirials not grown like the hive or crusier

Comment

What should I change it to, white? And what are you talking about with the light? You need to have at least one in the scene. Should I make it something other than spotlight?
        Yeah, thats it I usually use grey thou, it doesn't overpower the effect with bunches and bunches of reflected light. Plus if you look on the tabs there they have different features to use, like adding a background image and enabling the glowing feature.
        Now for the Lights, I know that you need at least one light in the scene for some reason but you don't have to use it, you can either put the lights intensity equal to zero or make that light not shine on the model.

Okay here I used Bobertho's recommendations and this is what I got.

Spoiler:

Shows the details much better.

Thanks for the tip bobertho. And just so you know I looked all through your Deviantart gallery and you are very talented at modelling. Any advice that you can provide when you see a problem or have a suggestion is extremely appreciated.

I really like that picture with the Blue Giant.
        I haven't come across many people that know lightwave so I actually had to learn through trial and error. So with that I decided to become one of those people that I could never find and help members like you.

Thanks, for that particular scene I thought of it in my sleep and the next day I decided to model it and photoshop it. It's my favorite next to re-entry.
        sigpic
        ----DeviantArt----

Comment

Originally posted by boberth2o View Post
          Yeah, thats it I usually use grey thou, it doesn't overpower the effect with bunches and bunches of reflected light. Plus if you look on the tabs there they have different features to use, like adding a background image and enabling the glowing feature.
          Now for the Lights, I know that you need at least one light in the scene for some reason but you don't have to use it, you can either put the lights intensity equal to zero or make that light not shine on the model.
          Alright, next time I do a render I'll have the background set to grey and the light at 0% brightness. I always thought that doing so would make it completely black, unless I was to boost the ambient light a tad.

I haven't come across many people that know lightwave so I actually had to learn through trial and error. So with that I decided to become one of those people that I could never find and help members like you.

Thanks, for that particular scene I thought of it in my sleep and the next day I decided to model it and photoshop it. It's my favorite next to re-entry.
          Yeah, it's hard finding free and helpful tutorials on Lightwave, so aside from a few tricks I've been fiddling around with it and learning that way. I am pretty decent at learning new software, but it still takes time and is quite frustrating hahaha.

Comment

that ship is actually grown. we thought they were constructed. but The Seed shows the truth.

like i said: make it a Wraith/Primox hybrid.

Comment

that ship is actually grown. we thought they were constructed. but The Seed shows the truth.

like i said: make it a Wraith/Primox hybrid.
              but I thought we talked about this ship being constructed

Comment

that was before the seed

Comment

Well it's been a long time since I had time to drop over here so I thought I would have a look and see. A lot of you have really started to impress me with how far your modeling has come. Keep it up guys.

Over the last few months I've had almost no time to model anything. When I do have time I have been playing with some interior designs and since I'm here I thought I would share what little I have started.

Random hallway segment.

Start of the engine room.

And a fast scene I just made. (an hour of work so do pick at it too hard)

With some luck I'll get sometime over the Christmas holidays to get some of my ship models I have started progressed.

"Space isn't remote at all. It's only an hour's drive away if your car could go straight upwards." - Fred Hoyle
                  Feel free to visit my Art Work.

Comment

Nice to see you RJB, I see you made an image involving the Reapers. Looking good.
                    Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

Originally posted by Buba uognarf View Post
                      Nice to see you RJB, I see you made an image involving the Reapers. Looking good.
                      They always do make great villains to fight.

"Space isn't remote at all. It's only an hour's drive away if your car could go straight upwards." - Fred Hoyle

Comment

oooo pretty sweet.

The smoke effects with the rockets, done in photoshop or lightwave?
                        Visit my Website

Comment

Originally posted by ManiacMike View Post
                          The smoke effects with the rockets, done in photoshop or lightwave?
                          Done in lightwave. It's my first time trying something like that.

Comment

Very impressive RJB. I've seen your work in a few places now and it's always top notch haha. Those interior shots are really nice. And Holding The Line is cool too, I like those smoke effects.

It's nice to see that you're working on some more stuff.

Comment

Very impressive RJB. I've seen your work in a few places now and it's always top notch haha. Those interior shots are really nice. And Holding The Line is cool too, I like those smoke effects.

It's nice to see that you're working on some more stuff.
                              All I need to do now is get my mojo for building ships back. I got so many that are started that it is not even funny. (this is not counting concept drawings)

Comment

Originally posted by RJB View Post
                                Done in lightwave. It's my first time trying something like that.
                                I don't know how this translate to Lightwave, but it would look a little more realistic if you add a decay to the smoke trail. Like after a while, the smoke starts to disappear the further it travels.

Its a good job on it though. I know the feeling about needing inspiration to model. I've been working on non-stargate models to get back into the 3D mojo. Working on ships do get boring after a while and you need something new to keep the juices flowing.
                                Visit my Website

Comment

Working...
                                X