This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lt. Col. Mcoy View Post
    Sounds about right for an Alteran Battleship.

You really should submit your 'ancienty' designs to the Fleet as ships for the Lantian remnant we have. Don't worry about specs if you don't have time to write them, I'm sure someone would be happy to do them for you.
    I'm not sure if it's going to be an alteran battleship.. but maybe. Guys would never let over 1,5km long ships to 3.0

Comment

My Shrin'yar have a ship that's over 1500m in length.
      sigpic

The New GateWorld Virtual Fleet Database

Comment

My Shrin'yar have a ship that's over 1500m in length.
        Yes, but for Tauri fleet 1500m is a no-no.

Comment

Originally posted by Semmer View Post
          Yes, but for Tauri fleet 1500m is a no-no.
          *dies from hyper large spaceship syndrom*

Comment

I haven't really modeled something for over a month now and hte last original ship I created was the Typhon. Well . . . . . . . . . . thats going to change. In the spoilers below is a New ship you never seen the likings of before.

Spoiler:

Awwwww what am I saying. This is the USAF Thrones, a carrier vessel.
            Spoiler:
            sigpic
            ----DeviantArt----

Comment

Wow.... An open flight deck space carrier?

Sweet idea. Cannot wait to see more.

'You gotta admit, Vampires are just plain cool'

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Lee View Post
                Wow.... An open flight deck space carrier?

Sweet idea. Cannot wait to see more.
                I had to think about it before I actually modeled it, then I had the problem of figuring out how the open deck would work. But since our shielding technology is powerful I would think that a smaller shield just encompassing the flight deck would be adequate to hold the atmosphere. and baring the failure of the shield a siren on the flight deck will notify the workers. Then they'll be able to access small oxygen tanks hidden in the hull of the flightdeck. Or the flight deck area is emcompassed in high strength glass like material to protect the atmosphere from escaping.

Edit: sorry about the sentence structure, but it's how I think.
                sigpic
                ----DeviantArt----

Comment

Originally posted by boberth2o View Post
                  I had to think about it before I actually modeled it, then I had the problem of figuring out how the open deck would work. But since our shielding technology is powerful I would think that a smaller shield just encompassing the flight deck would be adequate to hold the atmosphere. and baring the failure of the shield a siren on the flight deck will notify the workers. Then they'll be able to access small oxygen tanks hidden in the hull of the flightdeck. Or the flight deck area is emcompassed in high strength glass like material to protect the atmosphere from escaping.

Edit: sorry about the sentence structure, but it's how I think.
                  I'm sorry to say that this is one of your bigger scientific failiures

-If shields go off, crew will be exposed to open vacuum, wihtrout spacesuits they will either pop like baloons or freeze within minuites(if they don't burn up instantly).
                  -Glass is equaly useless: this is a military spaceship, why would you use glass(even reinforced one), wehn metal is a god deal stronger?
                  -HTere is no purpose for a flight deck beyond combat landings, fighters can be docked in smal pods on the starship's exterior and serviced with robot manipulator arms, pilots can getin/out via small airlock to the cocpit. TEh onl;y reason they exist is in case the pilots don't have timeto fine tune their course for docking with those pods, or the ship's maneuvering real hard to avoid enemy fire.

Comment

Sorry. No vacuum pops or freezing. Read Atomis Rocket.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Tom View Post
                      I'm sorry to say that this is one of your bigger scientific failiures

-If shields go off, crew will be exposed to open vacuum, wihtrout spacesuits they will either pop like baloons or freeze within minuites(if they don't burn up instantly).
                      -Glass is equaly useless: this is a military spaceship, why would you use glass(even reinforced one), wehn metal is a god deal stronger?
                      -HTere is no purpose for a flight deck beyond combat landings, fighters can be docked in smal pods on the starship's exterior and serviced with robot manipulator arms, pilots can getin/out via small airlock to the cocpit. TEh onl;y reason they exist is in case the pilots don't have timeto fine tune their course for docking with those pods, or the ship's maneuvering real hard to avoid enemy fire.
                      They will not pop like balloons, but their bodies will expand. As seen by astronauts that go up to the ISS their bodies expand in the weightlessness but they do not 'pop'. Mearly the influence of gravity on them no longer exists. This is also relevant to the atmospheric pressure too.

The only reason that humans needs space suits in space is because there is not an atmosphere (we need to breathe it) and the temperature is approaching -270° C (at the coldest). Once the shield fails the atmosphere that was contained in the shield will rapidly diffuse and so will the heat. On this part you are right. But they shouldn't feel the full effects of open space immeadiatly. They have roughly a 10 second window at the most.

Back to what I said, there will be a siren that sounds when the inner-shield is approaching the failure point (25% or so). That will give time to the airmen on the flightdeck to reach a safe location.

Also keep in might there there is a totally different sheilding system on the flightdeck than the rest of the ship, so the airmen on the flightdeck have two lines of defense against the depths of space. The atmospheric shield and the ships defensive shield.

Just a side note here: The Ancients have no problem with being exposed to space with a shield protecting them. A perfect example is when Weir goes out on the balcony of the Asuran city ship in 'Progeny'. Another is the bay shielding on the hangers of the Daedalus, a shield within a shield protecting the airmen.

It just the instead of having the shield at the door the shield is all around you except for the floor. And by the time the main defensive shield fails, the ship is basically screwed anyway.

This is not one of my bigger scientific failures, infact it makes perfect sense.

Oh, and what are my other scientific failures? I dont recall having any.
                      sigpic
                      ----DeviantArt----

Comment

They would pop if they were wearing oxygen masks. Otherwise your right about their condition, but if their not tethered down they would start floating into space.
                        On onother note, why would you even need crew on the flight deck? Fighteers would be serviced below deck, then lifted up via lift, or better: only down. Launching from the deck in a weightless enviroemnt doesn't make much sense unless your gonna magneticlay accelerate them. I mean, the purpose of a flight deck is to let planes gather enough speed to stay airborne, in space that's not a problem.

I don't think you have any other scientific failiures, my bad, just sort of came out, sorry.

Comment

I still don't think they pop, but you're right about the flight deck. The only practical reason to have one in space would be so you could have whole decks below it and the deck itself packed wingtip-to-wingtip with vertical launch starfighters. That'd look cool; the whole deck takes off like bees from a hive, hundreds more are lifted up, they take off in a swarm, then so on and so on.
                          sigpic

Comment

Actualy i was sugensting the flight deck as a ccombat landing thing, and have fighters take off in the maner you desctibes from the sides.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Tom View Post
                              They would pop if they were wearing oxygen masks. Otherwise your right about their condition, but if their not tethered down they would start floating into space.
                              On onother note, why would you even need crew on the flight deck? Fighteers would be serviced below deck, then lifted up via lift, or better: only down. Launching from the deck in a weightless enviroemnt doesn't make much sense unless your gonna magneticlay accelerate them. I mean, the purpose of a flight deck is to let planes gather enough speed to stay airborne, in space that's not a problem.

I don't think you have any other scientific failiures, my bad, just sort of came out, sorry.
                              They will not 'pop'. Below is a NASA link that describes this very problem. Your lungs dont 'pop' but if you do breathe there might be damage to you lungs.

Click Me!
                              sigpic
                              ----DeviantArt----

Comment

I still don't think they pop, but you're right about the flight deck. The only practical reason to have one in space would be so you could have whole decks below it and the deck itself packed wingtip-to-wingtip with vertical launch starfighters. That'd look cool; the whole deck takes off like bees from a hive, hundreds more are lifted up, they take off in a swarm, then so on and so on.
                                Well I was thinking since we have missiles on our fighters that an open flightdeck would decrease the reload time and therefore increase the fighting capibilities of our fighters. They could launch off the deck in a wide array of spots rather than the one door on a normal hanger. An open flightdeck can be very useful.
                                When the fighters use all their missles they go back to any open spot on the deck, reload with misslies and take off into the battle again.
                                Just imagine standong on the flightdeck and having fighters entering the shield reloading their munitions and taking off; now when they take off the can go anywhere, up, forward, back, left, right. It would be sweet for theatactics.
                                sigpic
                                ----DeviantArt----

Comment

Working...
                                X