Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are Egyptian Gods "ok" but medieval knights and wizards "not"?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lord Shiva
    Wouldn't it be kind of cool if "Avalon" actually was a uneducated mortal's way of dealing with the idea of Ascention, and that Arthur, after defeating some dark and evil enemy on Earth (could have been an alien that people saw as "magic" or "evil"), with the help of Merlin ascended?

I dunno, I think that would be cool... a REAL Arthur as an Ascended Being
    I agree – that would be very cool!

Member of W.A.S.P. ~ My Fan Fiction ~MySpace ~ Thanks to *E*K*R* for the sig!

Comment

I dunno, I think that would be cool... a REAL Arthur as an Ascended Being
      What's the story? He rests in Avalon until the day his people need him again?

Hey... that's a plotline that's just beggin to be exploited.

Comment

Personally, I am enjoying that concept of Arthur and Merlin in this season's shows. Arthur is one of my favorite myths and I have always loved the line that goes with some endings of the myth: "When England is in it's darkest hour, Arthur shall rise again to defend her and Merlin shall be with him." How much fun can you have with that line?

Comment

Personally, the Arthurian legend gives me a gross wet chill up the back of my neck. Maybe it's because all those movies like that start with nasty dank fog hanging over a castle and/or forest. However, SG-1 has been rendering the story into small bite-sized chunks for eps, and I've been able to tolerate it so far. I'll keep watching for now since it comes on right before Atlantis. And then again right after Battlestar Galactica.
          my blog, now with more randomness

Comment

Originally posted by Jolinar of the Tok'ra
            Personally, I am enjoying that concept of Arthur and Merlin in this season's shows. Arthur is one of my favorite myths and I have always loved the line that goes with some endings of the myth: "When England is in it's darkest hour, Arthur shall rise again to defend her and Merlin shall be with him." How much fun can you have with that line?
            Christ, can you imagine that? In their darkest hour, with the Ori bearing down on Earth and the Earth forces collapsing against the power of Fire, Arthur descends with Merlin to lay waste to the Ori's fleets?

How cool would that be? And that wouldn't neccessarily mean the end of the Ori, but it would be a major setback as their whole ARMY is destroyed by the forces of Avalon

Comment

I've loved the last season- the one thing I've noticed is that there are no real lousy episodes. I can't think of another season that doesn't contain an episode that doesn't make me want to chuck things at the television. In fact aside from BSG, I can't think of any series that doesn't contain at least one horrible episode in a season. I give props to the writers for keeping solid consistancy this season and I hope it continues into the next. And I can't wait for the King Arthur story.

Comment

Sesaon 9 kicks ass. If Stargate had started out with season 9 as sason 1 everyone would love it. Season 1 and season 9 have alot of similarities, come on people get over RDA's departure. The show still kicks ass.
                Xtremixt

All was shattered, and all but memory lost, and one memory above all others, of him who brought the shadow and the breaking of the world. And him they named Dragon.

Comment

One thing I've noticed is that a lot of the "Anti" Season 9 people complain about Merlin, or think the storyline is kinda going downhill with all this Arthurian "BS" -
                  Dunno.

Maybe because it seems as if it's piggybacking the Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter and others in the genre...

At least, the idea of Egyptians Gods as aliens
                  (with the ensuing utilisation of various less known mythologies... Don't tell me you knew that much about Nirti, Yu or Ba'al...) was at least a fresh approach, not overdone like the Medieval lore that's so en vogue these days...

But, being on the anti-S9 threat, at lot of the complaints, as you seem to imply, is not about the Arthurian BS...

I'm just saying...
                  J a c k M a n i a c

Comment

i really like the whole knights and merlin storyline so far it shows Stargate's
                    maturity and williness to grow while keeping the core story that fans have alway enjoyed
                    https://twitter.com/#!/Solar_wind84

Comment

Originally posted by Pain in the mikta
                      Dunno.

Maybe because it seems as if it's piggybacking the Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter and others in the genre...

At least, the idea of Egyptians Gods as aliens
                      (with the ensuing utilisation of various less known mythologies... Don't tell me you knew that much about Nirti, Yu or Ba'al...) was at least a fresh approach, not overdone like the Medieval lore that's so en vogue these days...

But, being on the anti-S9 threat, at lot of the complaints, as you seem to imply, is not about the Arthurian BS...

I'm just saying...
                      Wait, what? Since when was aliens in Egypt fresh? I thought "aliens built the pyramids" was a well documented cliche.

Ok, there has been a lot of medieval stories, but I haven't seen any that related them to aliens.

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Ivanova
                        Stargate mythology has focused mainly on the Egyptian gods, it's true, but it's also dabbled in other mythologies including Norse (Thor and his buddies), and other Earth and non-Earth civilisations. I see nothing wrong with a bit of Arthurian legend, bring it on. Perhaps it's not so familiar to the Yanks, hence the complaints.
                        Nope, some of us Yanks are completely familiar and ok with that. Thor and the rest were clear indicators of further offshoots for religious/legend references to all gods of many religions. The name asgard itself is the city of norse gods. Then we have the "Giant Aliens" posing as South American/Central American Gods, and the Salish posing as North American (native american) animal spirit/gods as well. And also the Oannes portrayed as Phoenecian/Sumerian mythilogical beings

And if people have a problem with the timeline being an issue in relation to the level of civilization and people being "gullible" enough to believe it, it has already been established that Sokur posed as Satan to medieval christians and used Unas to protray his demonic forces and perhaps his own demonic self, so the whole civilization/timeline thing doesn't hold up when you consider they have been fooling us well into the AD era, all the way up to Seth and his occult waco-like followers.

Comment

I would like to see more connection or at least references between the Egyptian gods and the medieval knights. They never met on Earth, but there are some many other planets in MW.
                          "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

I love Arthurian lore, so I like the story line in S9 more than the egyption/greek gods.

Comment

Camelot got me confused. On Earth, it says that arthur was british, but the show stated that he wasnt from earth. So, did he ever go to earth? Because it would have made sense to me if he was originally on Earth and then went to look for the sangraal on another planet.

Jesus is Lord!

Comment

I personally love the linking of the Arthurian mythology into the Stargate universe - I love Arthurian mythology period.

I think the weakness with the change of mythology direction if I can define it as such is that there is not a direct link to the big bad (as someone has already said).

With the Egyptian mythology, the bad guys were directly linked with the Gods within that mythology. Ra, the Egyptian Sun God was a bad guy - all the other Goa'uld bad guys have their roots in religious mythology of some kind be it Egyptian (Hathor), Christian (Sokar) or Mayan (Telchek). So every time the Goa'uld appeared you were smacked in the face with the link as they were placed within the mythology (e.g Daniel and Jack's famous exchange on Hathor "She was the Goddess of fertility, inebriety and music" "So, sex, drugs and rock and roll, huh?").

With the Arthurian mythology, the link is more tenuous;
                                Spoiler:
                                Merlin was once an Ancient who left behind a communications device which meant they stumbled into the Ori galaxy and alerted them to our presence, but handily the old wizard might have built a weapon (the Holy Grail) which might be able to help them defeat the Ori.

So there isn't the same resonance with the mythology when you meet a bad guy these days. A Prior and the Ori themselves seem to have more resonance with the idea of medieval Christianity rather than within the Arthurian myth.

On why the Egyptian gods were OK but medieval knights/wizards are not...

Some people won't like the change because its change...some people love Egyptian mythology...some people don't like the Arthurian myth...some people would prefer the mythology to have a stronger link with the bad guys...

Personally, I like the change and I think the mythology has some great aspects that could be explored and exploited (the return of Arthur being one of them, the idea of the Lady of the Lake, Excaliber, the Lancelot and Guinevere story of betrayal and treachery; the mysterious circumstances of Arthur's birth; Merlin's legend itself and his dalliance with Nimue, endless potential). I'm looking forward to seeing what TPTB do with it.
                                sigpic
                                Women of the Gate LJ Community.
                                My Stargate Fanfiction. My LiveJournal.

Comment

Working...
                                X