Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haven't you notice? TPTB are all male! There hasn't even be a female writer for the show since season 6.
    In Season 7, there were two female "Story By" credits:
    Kathyrn Powers (who wrote really good scripts in the past for the show) and the actress [Jacqueline Samuda] who played Nirrti - yeah - the one where she gets killed.
    Also I believe AT has been the only female director through the history of SG-1.
    Gentlemen: please stop reminiscing of your 7th grade youth, break up the "Boys Only" club, and get back to work in the 21st century.
    I'll second all of the above, except: I think Kathryn Powers' scripts generally sucked wind, sounding like the work of the Falcon Crest scriptwriter that she used to be. Heather Ash's work, OTOH, was particularly good, including Foothold, Learning Curve and the equally Sam-tastic Rite of Passage. PdL seems to like writing Carter-centric eps, although the results are not always felicitous. *cough*Gemini*cough*

Yes, AT has been the only woman to have directed on SG-1. Holly Dale did at least one episode of SGA. She had directed Torri Higginson's episode of Bliss, so that may have helped land her an SG gig.

I'll steer clear of the pro/con-Mitchell debate by saying simply that Carter should never have had SG-1 taken away from her, although a wonderful real-life occurrence (i.e., Olivia B. Kovacs) would have complicated the issue in any event.

Jr. Member, Gateworld Curmudgeon Club

Comment

Originally posted by sindicate
      Yes I believe that was the one, when Colonel Makepeace (lol) took over when Oneill was pretending to be rogue. She never outright refused, but she never stood up for herself or objected
      There are two problems with the argument that you're presenting, that Carter doesn't want to be leader of SG!.

1) That is NOT what she said in the episode you're quoteing. She knows milirary proceedures much better than Daniel or Teal'c, and was pointint out that, at that time, she wasn't going to make the cut. She never said, or implied, that she didn't want it.

2) She HAS BEEN leader of SG1.

Comment

Originally posted by Deejay435
        There are two problems with the argument that you're presenting, that Carter doesn't want to be leader of SG!.

1) That is NOT what she said in the episode you're quoteing. She knows milirary proceedures much better than Daniel or Teal'c, and was pointint out that, at that time, she wasn't going to make the cut. She never said, or implied, that she didn't want it.

2) She HAS BEEN leader of SG1.
        love it when people Quote be but don't read what I say Read i t again

""""She never outright refused, but she never stood up for herself or objected """""

she was never asked either but it seemed like she didn't want it

and like someone else said This wasn't the point of the poll I mentioned the Mitchell info because I voted for Mitchell, he was given the job, but in all fairness Carter could do the job now
        Last edited by sindicate; 19 February 2006, 06:26 AM.

Comment

""""She never outright refused, but she never stood up for herself or objected """""

IMO it seemed like she didn't want it
          Back when she was a major? When Colonel Makepeace came in to take over from Colonel O'Neill (two ranks higher)? I hope you're not trying to be serious.

Having just watched The Scourge... spoiler below:

Spoiler:
          Mitchell didn't know about the protocol which required the Odyssey to distribute a toxin on the planet which would kill the bugs and humans alike in the event that their people were presumed dead. It must surely be the case that every SG team-leader is aware of this protocol - it's a crucial one for their survival tactics.
          Last edited by scarimor; 19 February 2006, 06:37 AM. Reason: adding info about The Scourge
          scarimor

Comment

love it when people Quote be but don't read what I say Read i t again

she was never asked either but it seemed like she didn't want it

and like someone else said This wasn't the point of the poll I mentioned the Mitchell info because I voted for Mitchell, he was given the job, but in all fairness Carter could do the job now
            Actually, I was referring to this quote of yours:

Carter has previously said she does not want to lead SG1 but that was a few seasons ago

Comment

Alright then I was in error anyone else feel like jumping down my throat for having an opinion??

Originally posted by scarimor
              Back when she was a major? When Colonel Makepeace came in to take over from Colonel O'Neill (two ranks higher)? I hope you're not trying to be serious.

Having just watched The Scourge... spoiler below:

Spoiler:
              Mitchell didn't know about the protocol which required the Odyssey to distribute a toxin on the planet which would kill the bugs and humans alike in the event that their people were presumed dead. It must surely be the case that every SG team-leader is aware of this protocol - it's a crucial one for their survival tactics.
              Spoiler:
              You might be right about that but his actions led me to believe that he did in fact know about it he was like "Oh Crap forgot about that" after just watching it again that's the impression I got

but I'm sure someone here will jump down my throat again for having an opinion on it

Comment

Spoiler:
                You might be right about that but his actions led me to believe that he did in fact know about it he was like "Oh Crap forgot about that" after just watching it again that's the impression I got
                Spoiler:
                He may have forgotten. I hope he doesn't forget things like that too often... but while Sam's co-leading she can bail them out again if he does.

scarimor

Comment

Shades of Gray
                  HAMMOND:...Colonel Makepeace will be joining SG-1 immediately. I hope you'll make him feel welcome.
                  DANIEL: Uh, sir. I don't want to seem out of line here, but since I'm a civilian here, I'm probably the only one who can say this.
                  HAMMOND: Spit it out Doctor.
                  DANIEL: Well no offence, but doesn't Major Carter deserve to take charge of SG-1?
                  HAMMOND: Major Carter has an exemplary record on the team as recognized by her recent promotion to Major. But major is a far cry from colonel.
                  CARTER: I understand, General.
                  DANIEL: I'm sorry, but I don't. What, uh, what difference does it make what title she has? The point is..
                  CARTER: It's all right Daniel. Really.
                  All she does is make Daniel stop fighting for a lost cause. She sounds more grim than indifferent. She knows she's not a Colonel, and she knows the regs. Personally, I'd be turned off if she HAD asked for it, it would be very OC for her to try to make someone do her a favor that's well against custom (custom in the military meaning protocol).

Originally posted by PG15
                  Originally posted by RealmOfX
                  They gave Mitchell the Medal of Honor (which I totally disagree with) for taking a hit in Lost City
                  After which he kept going and kept fighting instead of ditching. That's what the medal was for IMHO.
                  Read the real Medal of Honor Recipients and decide for yourselves whether what he did was actually worth it, because if I actually try to point out what he did you'll say I'm bias.
                  Originally posted by PG15
                  Originally posted by RealmOfX
                  but it was actually SG1 who saved the day, and what did they get? NADA.
                  Except, of course, that Jack got promoted to Brigadier General, and Carter got promoted to Lt. Colonel.
                  Perhaps you want to look up the percentage of promotions from O-4 to O-5 and from O-6 to O-7 and compare it to the number of officers that win the Medal of Honor? not much of a thank you, really.
                  sigpic
                  "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
                  Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

Spoiler:

but I'm sure someone here will jump down my throat again for having an opinion on it
                    That's not the impression I got. It didn't seem to me that Mitchell knew that regulation at all. He was still under the impression that everything was peachy-keen, and all they had to do was sit tight and wait.

But even if you're correct, and he'd simply forgotten it, that doesn't say much for his leadership. He can be bothered to learn about all the personal exploits of every SG1 mission ever (since nothing that's mentioned about past missions ever seems unfamiliar to him) but he can't be bothered to remember a protocol necessary to save his team?

Even more of a reason why I think Carter should lead SG1.

Comment

WANTED: SG-1 LEADER

Minimum qualifications:
                      U.S. Officer of at least rank of major
                      Combat field experience on world at least 2 years
                      Combat field experience off world of at least 2 years
                      Recommendation of SG Team CO
                      Approval of SGC CO

Preferred qualifications:
                      U.S. Officer of at least rank of Lieutenant Colonel
                      Combat field experience off world of at least 4 years
                      Recommendation of SG Team CO and SGC CO

Any other qualifications that I overlooked?
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Carterslave
                        I'll second all of the above, except: I think Kathryn Powers' scripts generally sucked wind, sounding like the work of the Falcon Crest scriptwriter that she used to be.
                        Really ? We'll agree to disagree. Powers provided several background stories for the Asgard,Teal'c, Aphophis.
                        Though her debut story Emancipation draws mixed reactions, it was Sam's first kick ass ep.
                        A Symbiote

Comment

Originally posted by nell
                          WANTED: SG-1 LEADER

Minimum qualifications:
                          U.S. Officer of at least rank of major
                          Combat field experience on world at least 2 years
                          Combat field experience off world of at least 2 years
                          Recommendation of SG Team CO
                          Approval of SGC CO

Preferred qualifications:
                          U.S. Officer of at least rank of Lieutenant Colonel
                          Combat field experience off world of at least 4 years
                          Recommendation of SG Team CO and SGC CO

Any other qualifications that I overlooked?
                          Nope. Looks pretty clear to me. Nuff said.
                          sigpic
                          Don't try to pull any crap on Magnus... if you know what's good for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Deejay435
                            Actually, I was referring to this quote of yours:
                            Carter has previously said she does not want to lead SG1 but that was a few seasons ago
                            that wasn't the quote you replied to it was another one that's why I said to read it again.

and just so everyone knows I agree Carter is more than capable of commanding SG1, but since it was Given to Mitchell I'll give him the benefit of the doubt until he does something totaly stupid

Comment

that wasn't the quote you replied to it was another one that's why I said to read it again.

and just so everyone knows I agree Carter is more than capable of commanding SG1, but since it was Given to Mitchell I'll give him the benefit of the doubt until he does something totaly stupid
                              Totally stupid?

Like pushing buttons in an alien lab thereby defrosting the son of Anubis because he "thought it was a light switch"?

Like ignoring a direct order to wait for back up and rushing on ahead forcing his team to prematurely abandon their positions so they could cover him?

Like lying to his team and getting them captured and tortured and lined up for execution?

Something like that?
                              Last edited by Uber; 19 February 2006, 11:04 AM.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Yep exactly

Or until he gets somebody killed
                                Last edited by sindicate; 19 February 2006, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X