This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He could most definatly be qualified for this Distinguished Flying Cross

2. Criteria: This decoration, established by Congress on July 6, 1960, is awarded to members of the United States Air Force who distinguished themselves by exceptionally meritorious service to the government in a duty of great responsibility, in combat or otherwise.

or Air Medal

3. Criteria: The Air Medal is awarded to any person who, while serving in any capacity in or with the armed forces of the United States, shall have distinguished himself by meritorious achievement while participating in aerial flight. Awards may be made to recognize single acts of merit or heroism or for meritorious service. Award of the Air Medal is primarily intended to recognize those personnel who are on current crew member or non-crew member flying status which requires them to participate in aerial flight on a regular and frequent basis in the performance of their primary duties. However, it may also be awarded to certain other individuals whose combat duties require regular and frequent flying in other than a passenger status or individuals who perform a particularly noteworthy act while performing the function of a crew member but who are not on flying status. These individuals must make a discernible contribution to the operational land combat mission or to the mission of the aircraft in flight. Examples of personnel whose combat duties require them to fly include those in the attack elements of units involved in air-land assaults against an armed enemy and those directly involved in airborne command and control of combat operations. Involvement in such activities, normally at the brigade/group level and below, serves only to establish eligibility for award of the Air Medal; the degree of heroism, meritorious achievement or exemplary service determines who should receive the award. Awards will not be made to individuals who use air transportation solely for the purpose of moving from point to point in a combat zone.

maybe the Airfoce Commendation Medal

3. Criteria: The Air Force Commendation Medal may be awarded to members of the Armed Forces of the United States below the grade of Brigadier General who, while serving in any capacity with the Air Force, distinguish themselves by heroism, outstanding achievement, or by meritorious service not of a sufficient nature to justify a higher award.

But he did nothing to earn the Medal of Honour

Criteria: The Medal of Honor is awarded by the President, in the name of Congress, to a person who, while a member of the Army, distinguishes himself or herself conspicuously by gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his or her life above and beyond the call of duty while engaged in action against an enemy of the United States; while engaged in military operations involving conflict with an opposing foreign force; or while serving with friendly foreign forces engaged in an armed conflict against an opposing armed force in which the United States is not a belligerent party. The deed performed must have been one of personal bravery or self-sacrifice so conspicuous as to clearly distinguish the individual above his or her comrades and must have involved risk of life. Incontestable proof of the performance of the service will be exacted and each recommendation for the award of this decoration will be considered on the standard of extraordinary merit.

He does not meant the criteria presented. Nor did his actions exemplify him in any way. He performed no better or worse then those who flew with him.
    Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Any resemblance to aforementioned opinions are purely coincidental.

Comment

Originally posted by RealmOfX

1.I find it amusing and definitely mock worthy (of the writers) that the writers thought the audience would be dumb enough to believe that Mitchell deserved the MoH. First the entire Antarctic battle was to protect the undefended heroes (SG-1 in case some of you missed it), that were sitting ducks in a stationary craft, trying to save earth.

2. Did the heroes that saved earth get a medal - no. Did the heroes previously get the MoH for saving earth countless times at risk to their lives (actually not countless I think Teal'c is keeping track of the number) - no.

3. Did any of the other pilots who got shot down doing the same as Mitchell get medals - no.

4. Did Hammond and crew get medals for taking Anubis' mothership head on in a hopeless cause, expecting the next hit to destroy them, get medals - no.

5. Many brave deeds were done in that battle but Mitchell did NOTHING different that deserved him to be singled out to get the highest military honour, and yet the writers expected the audience to be dumb enough to accept it.

6. Am I dumb enough to accept it - no. I do mock the writers because intentionally or not, they mock the real recipients of the medal.

1. Why not? They're dumb enough to believe that the undefended heros (SG1) would be dumb enough to sit in a stationary craft like sitting ducks.

2. Guess the writers don't think they are worthy of this particular honor. Sam has quite a few medals on her uniform. Just because the awards ceremony wasn't visual, doesn't mean she hasn't accumulated several honor awards for her service to her country.

3. You don't know that.

4. Perhaps he should have waited for backup? Been better prepared? You don't know whether or not Hammond received additional commendations for his part in that campaign.

5. I'm not having a bit of trouble accepting it. Why? Because I like Mitchell and think we have only been made aware of a small part of how he came to earn that particular medal. The writers imply that Sam is a genius-level scientist. I believe them, even though McKay has expressed his doubts and he's supposed to be a genius, too.

6. The question of your IQ is irrelevent to this discussion. As for the writers mocking the real recipients of the medal -- doubtful, especially since as others have pointed out very few have been awarded by the Air Force and the writing staff has always maintained a good relationship with representatives of the USAF. We hardly know Mitchell and know very little about the circumstance that lead to his earning this highest of military honors. At some point, perhaps the writers will take the time to fill in the blanks.

Comment

The MoH is not issued for accumilated service. It is issued from a singular action in one campaign. He did not earn it in his actions in Lost City. That is something that even through suspension of disbelief I cannot reconsile.

As for McKay's opinion of Sam. He is threatened by people, which he shows often. He always has to be the best. He's opinion is biased and questionable.

As for Sam's awards... This is a list of what it appears she has earnt.

Airmans Medal
        Meritorious Service Medal
        Air Medal
        Airfoce Achievement Medal
        AF Organisation Excellance Award
        National Defense Service Medal
        AF Logevity Service Award
        AF Small Arms Expert Marksman Ribbon
        Airforce Training Ribbon.

There are probably a couple more, but some are hard to distinguish.

The thing is, no one is saying Mitchell didn't deserve an award. Just that the MoH is extremly rich and difficult (okay, impossible) to accept.

Originally posted by Zelda
        Why not? They're dumb enough to believe that the undefended heros (SG1) would be dumb enough to sit in a stationary craft like sitting ducks.
        Ahh, there is a very good reason they were sitting there. It had nothing to do with being dumb, it had to do with the fact they (meaning Jack) had to calaberate the rings to get them down into the ancient outpost.

That does make sense. Did you want them to fly about a play chicken? If so, I'm doubtful they ever would have made it to t he outpost.
        Disclaimer: All opinions stated within this post are relevant to the author herself, and do not in any way represent the opinions of God, Country, The Powers That Be or Greater Fandom.

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
          Sorry, Lightsabre. I'm not arguing opinions. I'm arguing facts.

The facts are that the standards for winning the CMoH are outrageously high and they are so for a reason. That's why there are only 17 total CMoH Air Force awardees and a lot of them were awarded posthumously. Mitchell's actions, while very heroic, do not measure up to that standard. It is a fact...not based on feelings or opinion.

Even if they HAD measured up, the award certainly would not have been awarded to him in his hospital room by a lowly Lt. Colonel and a couple of Captains.

Further, had he really been awarded the CMoH, he'd have to be saluted by everyone...including Landry. It's THAT high of a standard.
          Yes, you have determined the Mitchell character undeserving not based on fact but upon your own personal opinion. The writers have determined that Mitchell's actions during battle went above and beyond. They have provided us a glimpse of Mitchell's memory regarding the battle. As you say, the requirements for this commendation are very high indeed and the investigative process for approval passes through numerous committees with the objective of confirming the recipient's acts of outstanding bravery and worthiness to receive this highest of military honors. I'm sure the writers were not flippant in deciding Mitchell should be one of a very few who have obtained this honor.

As for his being awarded the medal on behalf of the President in the hospital -- I reason that because it was recieved for participation in a covert action, a cover story was formed and the particulars of the true action are sealed in a classified file.

It is true that everyone, even those of much higher rank (except for the President, the Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces), including Landry, must offer him the salute first. If you notice, he does not salute Landry in their first meeting, or any time after. I am assuming the salute directive is protocol when the medal (ribbon) is apparent on a dress uniform.

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc
            uummmhhhh-

SG1 put their lives on the line (for the umpteenth time I might add), continuing to fight when most people would have given up.

SG1 played a key (dare I say central, core) role in the battle.

SG1 saved THE WORLD/EARTH/THE GALAXY/THE UNIVERSE (for the umpteenth time).

SG1 more than earned it.

mitchell did not.
            Your wishing it doesn't make it true. Mitchell earned it -- he wears the ribbon on his uniform.

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
              Well, Mitchell was in and out of consciousness at the time.

Maybe he dreamt it.
              Or, maybe Sam did.

Comment

Yes, you have determined the Mitchell character undeserving not based on fact but upon your own personal opinion. The writers have determined that Mitchell's actions during battle went above and beyond. They have provided us a glimpse of Mitchell's memory regarding the battle. As you say, the requirements for this commendation are very high indeed and the investigative process for approval passes through numerous committees with the objective of confirming the recipient's acts of outstanding bravery and worthiness to receive this highest of military honors. I'm sure the writers were not flippant in deciding Mitchell should be one of a very few who have obtained this honor.

As for his being awarded the medal on behalf of the President in the hospital -- I reason that because it was recieved for participation in a covert action, a cover story was formed and the particulars of the true action are sealed in a classified file.

It is true that everyone, even those of much higher rank (except for the President, the Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces), including Landry, must offer him the salute first. If you notice, he does not salute Landry in their first meeting, or any time after. I am assuming the salute directive is protocol when the medal (ribbon) is apparent on a dress uniform.
                My statements are based on facts of what was shown onscreen. Mitchell's memories of his actions that day.

The deed performed must have been one of personal bravery or self-sacrifice so conspicuous as to clearly distinguish the individual above his or her comrades and must have involved risk of life.

He shot down an Alkesh, which was again, heroic. But it was not an act of heroism that distinguished his actions above the hundreds of other fighter pilots who were out there that day.

He deserved "A" medal...just not "THE" medal.

And whether or not Mitchell saluted Landry in Avalon is irrelevant. Landry should have saluted him. Further, in Beachhead, Pendergast should have saluted him not the other way around. In fact, anyone and everyone in uniform should salute Mitchell.

It's a stretch on every level and had the writers done the first bit of research on the topic, they would have seen how outrageously high the bar was for this award and chosen a more appropriate one.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Or, maybe Sam did.
                  And Mitchell was recalling Sam's dream?

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by Uber
                    And Mitchell was recalling Sam's dream?
                    What tangled webs we weave, when first we choose to conceed.

Comment

Originally posted by ForeverSg1
                      Oh I know on the show it said he recieved the CMOH, but what I'm saying is that the writers in my opinion just said 'Hey what's the most important medal awarded in the United States?' and gave it to Mitchell. They did not research the award to determine if Mitchell really would have been awarded such an award or to check how it was given.

My point, though obviously not written well, was that while Sam may have said it was the CMOH, in my opinion it was a flub on the part of the writers. It should never have been added to the script because they belittled the importance of the real CMOH in doing so.
                      I'll just totally disagree with this. EVERYONE KNOWS THE DIFFICULT CRITERIA THAT MUST BE MET FOR OBTAINING THIS HIGHEST OF MILITARY AWARDS. The writers have researchers and a United States Air Force advisor that checks for protocol errors. You can make up all kinds of silly reasons why Mitchell is written as earning this award and not Carter, but you are not on the writing staff, so, eh.

Comment

Your wishing it doesn't make it true. Mitchell earned it -- he wears the ribbon on his uniform.
                        Actually, no he doesn't. The CMoH ribbon is to be worn a special way. On a ribbon bar, the CMoH ribbon is the first ribbon placed on the bar at the top left. The ribbon bar has five white stars pointed upwards like an "M" on a light blue field.

Looking at the video footage from Avalon, it's clear he's not wearing it.

Comment

I'll just totally disagree with this. EVERYONE KNOWS THE DIFFICULT CRITERIA THAT MUST BE MET FOR OBTAINING THIS HIGHEST OF MILITARY AWARDS. The writers have researchers and a United States Air Force advisor that checks for protocol errors. You can make up all kinds of silly reasons why Mitchell is written as earning this award and not Carter, but you are not on the writing staff, so, eh.
                          We've already pointed out several "protocol" errors that the advisor would have called them on and had them correct it.

So with the command debacle and the CMoH disaster, I'm at the point where I'm thinking the military advisor has been tied to a chair somewhere and is wearing a gag at this very moment because there's not a chance in the world that they would have signed off on this.
                          Last edited by Uber; 23 April 2006, 11:27 PM.

Comment

Check out http://www.answers.com/topic/medal-of-honor

scroll 3/4 way down the page until you come to the "by conflict" and "awards" -- the last entry reads:
                            Conflict: Unknown or Classified
                            Awards: 9
                            Ooh, it appear Wiki was not very clear in its labelling. The 9 recipients referred to there are:
                            • The Unknown Warrior in the United Kingdom
                            • The Unknown Soldier of France
                            • The Romanian Unknown Soldier
                            • The Unknown Soldier of Belgium
                            • The Unknown Soldier of Italy
                            • (the U.S.) Unknown Soldier of World War I
                            • (the U.S.) Unknown Soldier of World War II
                            • (the U.S.) Unknown Soldier of Korea
                            • (the U.S.) Unknown Soldier of Vietnam
                            • (and possibly) William 'Billy' Mitchell, 'Father of the USAF'

I suppose that 'Unknown or Classified' is the formal category, but any outstanding classified citations cannot, by definition, be counted. Thus, they don't show up in a public count.

You may also be interested in reading up on the case of Hiroshi Miyamura whose MOH (for service during the Korean Conflict) was classified: No one outside select officials of the Army even knew that the award had been given until Miyamura was freed from a POW camp -- 2 years after the date of citation.
                            Last edited by DEM; 23 April 2006, 11:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by binkpmmc
                              Thanks for all of the detailed facts Forever and Uber. This reinforces for me that TIIC have really lost their touch - this is the sloppiest, most slipshod treatment of something dealing with the military (aside from the whole co-leader debacle and the demoting of Carter, in favor of a pilot that has NEVER SEEN a Stargate or been on an off-world mission, without a plausible, logical, believable explaination why she and Daniel and Teal'c, would accept it (especially in light of D&T's history from the ep where Jack turns to the darkside and they put Makepeace in charge of SG1) they have ever done - it is so sloppy it indicates that no one took the time to look into the facts of the CMoH and they threw the words on the paper to make mitchell the "hewo" and expected the fans to accept it and all they did was look foolish, make mitchell look foolish and reinforce the marty-sue, ham-fisted, round-peg, square-hole nonsense. So sloppy it's pathetic actually but then again S9 was dreck . . . oh wait - that's OT so nevermind.
                              There is no co-leader--Mitchell is leader of SG1. Carter has not been demoted; she is still a Lt. Colonel. Mitchell is a more than competent leader and has accomplished every mission that he has been sent on. He is a very quick study -- it didn't take him eight years of gate travel experience to accomplish the missions he was sent on. His only fault is assuming that because Daniel and Sam have been doing it for eight years, they know what they are doing. If you want to sound that disrespectful and call a fictional character whose background includes the highest commendation in the armed services a "hewo" that's your prerogative. As far as I'm concerned, Mitchell is a genuine hero until the writers decide otherwise. And, Season Nine at least had some excitement with the addition of new characters. IMO

Comment

There is no co-leader--Mitchell is leader of SG1. Carter has not been demoted; she is still a Lt. Colonel. Mitchell is a more than competent leader and has accomplished every mission that he has been sent on. He is a very quick study -- it didn't take him eight years of gate travel experience to accomplish the missions he was sent on. His only fault is assuming that because Daniel and Sam have been doing it for eight years, they know what they are doing. If you want to sound that disrespectful and call a fictional character whose background includes the highest commendation in the armed services a "hewo" that's your prerogative. As far as I'm concerned, Mitchell is a genuine hero until the writers decide otherwise. And, Season Nine at least had some excitement with the addition of new characters. IMO
                                demoted does not imply loss of rank. Demotion cna mean loss of command.

Mitchell incidently is not in sole command of SG-1. Why? Sam doesn't report to him, she reports to Landry. If Mitchell was her CO she would report to him. Also, Mitchell has not been in command in every episode nor has he acted like an officer befitting the MoH.

I like the guy, but there are some serious cock-ups in the writing of him. I like him, but I don't respect him. Nor does he make me believe he is capable of commanding any SG team, let alone SG-1. And reading and studying a good practioner does not make.

Comment

Working...
                                X