Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't want him criticizing or pointing fingers. Hmm, I don't know if that's accurate. AT saying that she didn't think Sam should kiss Pete in Affinity could be deemed a criticism, and that's okay. I don't want him being destructively critical. But, I'd like to think he would speak up if he felt something wasn't right about the character. And, I'd hope that tptb could take that in stride when an actor gives input. Obviously, in the end, they're decision is what gets put on screen, but I'd hate to think that someone would be labeled a troublemaker for speaking up. I'd also like to think that if the writers asked him, "Ben, what do you think Mitchell would do in this situation" the answer wouldn't just be, "whatever you guys want." I just wonder, based on some things I've read, whether he's just being extremely modest, or if he's not giving his own input enough credit. Or whether he makes any input at all.
    I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Dani347,
      After having read numerous interviews from Ben over the years, I can tell you a couple of things. One is that you'll never hear Ben criticize the people who hired him in an interview. He always finds a way of defending them or just not saying anything negative. It's just how he is. Another thing I've learned about Ben is that he's not afraid of speaking up about things at work. THere's a great story he tells of being little more than a spear carrier in The Merchant of Venice on Broadway with Dennis Hoffman and how he basically told Dustin he was wrong about an idea he had as far as blocking went on stage. So Ben's not afraid of speaking up, from what I can tell. Just not in a public interview.

However, what we don't know is how comfortable he feels doing that at SG, whether or not anyone listens to him, exactly how their conversations go, etc.

Comment

I'm not expecting criticism. It just seems to go too far in the opposite direction when he seems to discount his own part in what makes Mitchell work. He doesn't have to beat his chest and go, "Me: Super Actor. Writers, Directors, Other Actors: Dumb Clucks." But, it doesn't have to go in the opposite direction. Criticism wouldn't even have to take place. But, I'm glad to hear that he does speak up and have opinions about things.
        I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

There's another interview recently where he talks about the differnce between working on FS and working on SG. On FS it sounds like he and the showrunner would get into screaming matches about stuff, but on SG that kind of thing never happens. He said that FS was a lot looser and would let everyone contribute ideas. I don't remember the exact words, but Ben is known for always being involved in all kinds of things on FS. With SG-1, though, he said something about how the show is a well-oiled machine, and he doesn't have his fingers in as many different areas like he did on FS. It sounds more like he does his job as an actor on SG-1 and that's about it. But like I said. I don't remember the exact wording.

Comment

Yeah. He's the new kid on the block here, so he probably doesn't want to step on any toes just yet. I would think that the longer he's involved with the show, the more involved he'll be.
            I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

Well I am just waiting for the next episode as it is another of AM's eps. We'll have more fodder to base our opinions on. Can't wait for Saturday to <no, you can't say that> - ooooops am I supposed to say that?? I live in a country where we won't see Season 9 for another year or so - but I'll watch 'em when they do and buy the DVD's when they come out. I just don't think it's fair that we have to wait!!!
              Last edited by Skydiver; 20 February 2006, 07:43 AM.
              -

Comment

Originally posted by Dani347
                I have to agree. And, this isn't a blame everything on Ben. But, I have to admit I've been kind of disappointed in some things I've read in how he approaches the character. It just seems like it's "I'm just here to read the lines." I prefer when the actors have an idea of who the character is, and when they have enough of an idea to sometimes speak up if they feel that the character is behaving in a way that's out of character. Sure, sometimes they lose the battle, but I'd rather have the feeling that the actor has a feel for the character. I want to think if BB was asked, "just who is Cameron Mitchell" his answer wouldn't be, "whatever the writers want him to be."
                I remember reading a quote from BB last spring, before Season 9 began, where he basically said he was just there to do what he was told. That he made a concious decision before he began filming not to try to have input into Mitchell the way he did with Crighton.

I remember commenting on it in an email to the friend who got me hooked in SG1, and being surprised, because everything I had read or seen of him till then suggested that he was often speaking up, and "fighting" for aspects of his character that he thought were important. I was worried, because I thought his imput was important for Crighton, and would also be for Mitchell. I'd forgotten about it till just now.

Comment

Originally posted by Deejay435
                  I remember reading a quote from BB last spring, before Season 9 began, where he basically said he was just there to do what he was told. That he made a concious decision before he began filming not to try to have input into Mitchell the way he did with Crighton.

I remember commenting on it in an email to the friend who got me hooked in SG1, and being surprised, because everything I had read or seen of him till then suggested that he was often speaking up, and "fighting" for aspects of his character that he thought were important. I was worried, because I thought his imput was important for Crighton, and would also be for Mitchell. I'd forgotten about it till just now.
                  Stranger, and stranger.
                  How often do you hear the major complaint from actors that they don't get input into their character? This is getting in at the basement and not pushing any buttons. How odd.

I'm not expecting full on RDA character (re)creation, but, with his experience, probably something closer to what CN did.
                  I hope the short time he spent unemployed didn't knock his confidence, because he'll end up getting steamrollered by TPTB - especially with Vala on the horizon.
                  Strange old decision.

Comment

There's also an interview with one of the directors, I can't remember who, who said that Ben comes to the set everyday full of ideas. He's always presenting his ideas to the director, but he's fine with the director shooting down his ideas too. Also, I read somewhere that it was Ben's idea for Mitchell to say something about the Asgard in Ripple Effect. So, not sure why Ben said he wasn't going to be as involved with Mitchell, but maybe that was for the beginning of the season. It sounds like he's still pretty involved from what other people have said. Maybe Ben meant he wouldn't be sitting in with the writers or something, which is what he used to do on FS.

Comment

Originally posted by smurf
                      If it is I'm still kind of disappointed. After being acclaimed for Farscape I had him down as a much more confident actor than he apparently is.
                      I don't think it's a lack of confidence for him to realize that he does not control the final product. And that is the reality, he does not control the final product. He can only influence the end result to the extent that TPTB are interested in listening to him.

Ben was involved in the creative end of Farscape because he was invited to participate in that by people who were impressed by his input and his take on things. He was invited into the writers’ room to participate in the process by the writers themselves. And he was eventually invited to write his own scripts for the show by Kemper and O'Bannon. Farscape's PTB weren't particularly territorial in terms of you actor me writer; you stay on your side of the room and I'll stay on mine. They saw something valuable in what he was bringing to the table beyond his in front of camera work and actively involved him in the behind camera creative end because they felt it was to the show’s advantage to do so. They wanted his input.

This is a different dynamic. He has made it quite clear in interviews that no one has approached him to participate in the show at that level. He has also made it quite clear that he does not intend to try and push that on anyone. He has been quoted as saying that the Stargate writers and producers have been doing this for a very long time and don't need him to come in and tell them how to do their jobs. He has stressed this repeatedly. You have brought somebody into the show that participated creatively, when working on his former job, in the writers and producers area of the production. I always come away from Ben’s interviews with the feeling that he is navigating a bit of a diplomatic minefield. It’s like he constantly has to reassure people that he isn't going to try to invade their space. The line between input and encroaching on someone else’s side of the room seems to be much thinner here and crossed much faster. Andy Mikita was the one that was quoted as saying the great thing about Ben was that he always showed up at the set with a lot of ideas but Ben would also make it clear that he would be fine with it if you didn’t want to use them. And then was true to his word when you decided not to use them. The depressing thing is that he seemed to value Ben being ok with not using his ideas far more than the fact that he showed up to the set with ideas. I don't think the Stargate PTB really think actors should have ideas.

Comment

If Joe Mallozzi and BB's costars are to be believed, Browder's really been busting his hump & putting in a lot of extra time on the show, so whatever criticisms might be levelled against him, saying that he's just phoning it in is probably wildly inaccurate.

Jr. Member, Gateworld Curmudgeon Club

Comment

Originally posted by Dream-a-Little
                          I don't think it's a lack of confidence for him to realize that he does not control the final product. And that is the reality, he does not control the final product. He can only influence the end result to the extent that TPTB are interested in listening to him.

Ben was involved in the creative end of Farscape because he was invited to participate in that by people who were impressed by his input and his take on things. He was invited into the writers’ room to participate in the process by the writers themselves. And he was eventually invited to write his own scripts for the show by Kemper and O'Bannon. Farscape's PTB weren't particularly territorial in terms of you actor me writer; you stay on your side of the room and I'll stay on mine. They saw something valuable in what he was bringing to the table beyond his in front of camera work and actively involved him in the behind camera creative end because they felt it was to the show’s advantage to do so. They wanted his input.

This is a different dynamic. He has made it quite clear in interviews that no one has approached him to participate in the show at that level. He has also made it quite clear that he does not intend to try and push that on anyone. He has been quoted as saying that the Stargate writers and producers have been doing this for a very long time and don't need him to come in and tell them how to do their jobs. He has stressed this repeatedly. You have brought somebody into the show that participated creatively, when working on his former job, in the writers and producers area of the production. I always come away from Ben’s interviews with the feeling that he is navigating a bit of a diplomatic minefield. It’s like he constantly has to reassure people that he isn't going to try to invade their space. The line between input and encroaching on someone else’s side of the room seems to be much thinner here and crossed much faster. Andy Mikita was the one that was quoted as saying the great thing about Ben was that he always showed up at the set with a lot of ideas but Ben would also make it clear that he would be fine with it if you didn’t want to use them. And then was true to his word when you decided not to use them. The depressing thing is that he seemed to value Ben being ok with not using his ideas far more than the fact that he showed up to the set with ideas. I don't think the Stargate PTB really think actors should have ideas.
                          It's good that I was wrong about his confidence, but it's bad that given his position as lead that he is not involved in the creation of his character.

Like I've said before, and as you've explained above, BB isn't new to the acting and writing process so I had expectations that he might have sat down with the writers at some point and said "this is what I'd like to do with the character, what do you think, would that work well with the plotline?".
                          At the start, after the contracts were signed would have been a good time.

It's all well and good bringing ideas to set, but by that stage certain elements are locked down and the directors on Stargate have nowhere near as much say in the final product as we think they (should) have. Not only that, giving away too many options is going to hurt in the long run. In my experience agreeing too often leaves everyone to expecting you to bend to whatever they want. Every now and then you have to decide for yourself and stand your ground.
                          MS has no control over the final product, but when he stopped acting innocent Daniel, they stopped writing innocent Daniel.

All said, I wonder if there is a different, less open, atmosphere for the actors since season 6. Or especially, since RDA left and they don't have an actor at the top of TPTB tree.

Comment

Every character has had their share of "stupid" episodes, so I'm not going to worry about Mitchell just yet.

I know the character was probably created by "committee" and it was difficult for Browder to voice opinions towards a show that had been on for 8 seasons. Now that he has completed his "rookie" season, I think Browder will be more apt to speak up about Mitchell as a character - what he feels is right or wrong.

At least I hope so.

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

I have never seen BB in any other show (I NEVER watched Farscape) so I have no idea how good an actor he is except what I see on Stargate. I don't know who is at fault but something just doesn't fit...either BB to the Cameron Mitchell character as it is written or a poorly written character that BB is doing his best with. Whatever it is it leaves me as a viewer with a less than positive attitiude towards Mitchell. Just when should we expect this character development to begin? My opinion...he's like that guy from Lifeboat with 10 characters trapped inside...pick one...any one.

Comment

Originally posted by smurf
                                It's good that I was wrong about his confidence, but it's bad that given his position as lead that he is not involved in the creation of his character.

Like I've said before, and as you've explained above, BB isn't new to the acting and writing process so I had expectations that he might have sat down with the writers at some point and said "this is what I'd like to do with the character, what do you think, would that work well with the plotline?".
                                At the start, after the contracts were signed would have been a good time.
                                We don’t know what kind of conversations Ben had with the producers before shooting began. Mikita noted that Ben does bring ideas to the table; he just seemed more interested in the fact that in the end Ben wasn’t going to be a production problem for him. Again, to be fair to the production team, there was really no way they could let any actor "create" a new regular main character on his own. The show represents a dollar value to far too many people to allow that. Ben was never going to get that expensive a toy to play with. It would have been nice if they would have let him have input given that he is the one who has to play him, but the final decisions for who Mitchell should be were always going to rest with the “power people” within the show. Who Mitchell was going to be is, in the end, a business decision not an artistic one and that doesn’t surprise me. What does surprise me is that none of the "power people" seem to have wanted to be the one to make that final decision.

Someone in a position of power within the show has to draw a narrower definition of the character and be willing to commit to that definition. That someone also needs to be in a position to enforce the other producers’ and writers’ adherence to that definition on a consistent basis. IMO, the only person that is in a position to do that is RCC unless Brad Wright is willing to take control of SG-1 as well as Atlantis. I kind of wish BW would do just that. BW was the one who first approached BB in connection with joining Stargate and BB has mentioned several times that he really likes him. Maybe we can trade RCC to Atlantis in exchange for BW.

It's all well and good bringing ideas to set, but by that stage certain elements are locked down and the directors on Stargate have nowhere near as much say in the final product as we think they (should) have. Not only that, giving away too many options is going to hurt in the long run. In my experience agreeing too often leaves everyone to expecting you to bend to whatever they want. Every now and then you have to decide for yourself and stand your ground.
                                MS has no control over the final product, but when he stopped acting innocent Daniel, they stopped writing innocent Daniel.
                                Or maybe MS stopped acting innocent Daniel because they stopped writing innocent Daniel. Isn't it kind of like what came first, the chicken or the egg? I actually think the bigger problem here was that not enough elements were already locked down. It would have been better if they had been.

I do also actually think directors have a great deal of control, particularly when the director is also a producer, which PD is. (Andy Mikita is also a producer for that matter. Neither one of these guys were hired guns brought in for a one off. They are involved with the creative end of the show on a day to day basis from the season's start to finish.) Of the three people involved in these outings, AM, BB, and PD, PD is actually the highest up the food chain. As a show producer, as well as the director in these episodes, he has veto power over both "new guys" BB and AM. In the end I'm always going to hold the person with the most power responsible for the final result. I believe the price you pay for power is responsibility. JMHO of course.

All said, I wonder if there is a different, less open, atmosphere for the actors since season 6. Or especially, since RDA left and they don't have an actor at the top of TPTB tree.
                                As a show producer as well as an actor, RDA would have had a guaranteed place at the table in creative decisions for his character and the show in general. That's something that none of the current actors possess. I think the freedom for the TPTB to do what they want without being obligated to accommodate an actor’s influence may very well have left them kind of power giddy.

Comment

Working...
                                X