Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Too many earth based episodes ?? (Spoilers)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with Madelaine. It doesn't matter to me much whether the episode is based offworld or at the SGC or on Earth, what's more important for me is whether it's a good, well-written episode. Also agree with your choices on both sides of that divide btw, Madelaine. <g> I don't think Nightwalkers et al are bad episodes, but they certainly aren't among my favourites to watch constantly. Whereas Solitudes and MOT certainly are.

Anyway, it's something we're just going to have to accept as a pay off for getting a S8. With their reduced budget there's not much else they can do.

So long as the episodes on Earth are character-based with an interesting plot, I'll be content enough.

Albion
    Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

Morjana, thanks for posting your list. It doesn't appear as if there has been any significant increase in Earth-based episodes. An average of 6 per season, with Seasons 2 and 6 having the most (7). The commentaries on the DVD often point out that the Earth-based eps are cheaper, probably on average. I've also liked all the clip shows, the biggest money-savers, as they've always managed to make them part of a significant story arc rather than just a trip down memory lane.
      Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
      O'Neill: Who doesn't?
      - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
      - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
      once done, cannot be undone...
      brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

Comment

The problem with many Earth based-eps is that they've been more alias/xfiles then SG1.

Comment

Originally posted by aAnubiSs
          The problem with many Earth based-eps is that they've been more alias/xfiles then SG1.
          I disagree, in S1, the only 'alias/xfiles' episodes was like none, in S2, i don't recall any, in S3, Seth maybe one of the episodes, but thats for your own personal judgement, in S4, i don't see any, in S5, none that i can see, in S6, Nightwalkers is a definite one, Sight Unseen is one, i don't count disclosure because its mostly a clip episode, in S7, Fragile Balance maybe one, but i don't think it is, Ressurection is one, and thats pretty much it so far. If you can inlcude more that are 'alias/xfiles' -ish, plz do share, because i don't think that most 'on world' episodes are more alias/xfiles than sg1.
          Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

Originally posted by aAnubiSs
            But isn't that the whole point? Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the earth base shows further the plot and/or the charter development. I will agree that eps like Sight Unseen were thin on plot, but the whole cover up, what would the general public do if they found out the truth, is a value plot issues.

The plots are driven by the charters and the events around them, so there will be a change from the "main" story of knock off the bad guys tlots. Furuhermozml I know some tmoplg fi~d!them to be a lët|le unintòesting. You have to admit that it does gkve yo} a wholm 360 vie picture of what SG-1 and the SoC hcve to deal`with.!Not all of the bad guys are coming through the starga|e.
            J
            IMHO

Ok, I'm off my soap box now
            Last edited by Dogma00; 11 July 2004, 02:14 PM.

Spoiler Space
            ****** USE IT *******
            SFA rank - Sgt-At-Arms

To find out more vist the FAQ

Cry havoc, and let slip the dogma of war!

Comment

And one more thing, Alias/Xfiles episodes are going to be similar because Alias is based in the CIA, XFiles is based in the FBI, and SG1 is based in a top secret air force base with a stargate. All three are 'secretive', so its bound that they share similar traits of an episode.

Comment

If they could do an Earth based episode on SG1 similar to that of "Family" from TNG I will be pleased. Show the team, on an off day. And don't involve some secret NID plot or some Alien threat, just the team. I wouldn't like to see it all the time, but once or twice in eight season's wouldn't be bad.

Comment

I think the similarities have been too obvious.

Comment

Yah, like in "The Curse", where Jack and Teal'c goes fishing, thats what i would like to seem more

Comment

Seeing them go fishing was fun, I agree.

Comment

Originally posted by littlemigueljr
                        Yah, like in "The Curse", where Jack and Teal'c goes fishing, thats what i would like to seem more
                        Exactly, something like that. No interruptions, no imminent threats. Just SG1 and dialogue.

Comment

But what would be interesting in a Stargate episode that has no real plot? Well of course it'll have a plot, but wouldn't it be like Chimera, subtracting the whole Osiris part.

Comment

Well I like for everything to have something to do with the main story arc. So while the scene doesn't have to start out regarding the storyline, they could drift into the subject what kind of equipment they think should be created to fight the goa'uld or something.

Comment

If I could get character development, I would accept little plot. TNG's "Family" didn't have any SciFi-style plot, but it did develop chracters, that's what I want from SG1

Comment

Thats why i was asking, cause i haven't seen that episode of Star Trek

Comment

Working...
                                X