This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Powering the SGC

In 'The Powers That Be' they cut the buget by 70%, to get more money why don't they power the SGC with naquada generators? So then they have more money.

Joe Mallozzi: "Like my grandmother used to say: Whenever a gate closes, a hyperspace window opens…"

Originally posted by beale947
    In 'The Powers That Be' they cut the buget by 70%, to get more money why don't they power the SGC with naquada generators? So then they have more money.
    Because the energy consumed doesn't represent 70%.
    It's the equipment, R&D, salaries.
    A naquada generator would be very hazardous to the NORAD's activity. Imagine your own personal Cernobyl (if you don't know try a search on "Cernobyl")
    School is overrated.

Comment

Originally posted by beale947
      Wasnt it just the pentagon that cut the budget and then landry went to the international committee to get more funds and succeeded
      The doctor told me Im insane, thank God! its so much better then being outsane!

Comment

Originally posted by Eoin
        Wasnt it just the pentagon that cut the budget and then landry went to the international committee to get more funds and succeeded
        That was alredy decided (I think). he went to convince them that they must not cut the budget because of the new threat issue.
        Ladry succeded nothing.
        School is overrated.

Comment

The international committee did give them more funding, in exchange for having a watchdog in the midst of the SGC. That's why Woolsey was around in "Prototype".
          sigpic
          MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
          "...phu...ah..."
          "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
          Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

We hardly have an unlimited supply of naquada generators. The ones we do have will be used in situations where portable energy is needed desperately. We could make more, but not if the budget was so tight that we couldn't even afford to use normal Earth energy.
            SQUEE like no one's listening.

Comment

Yeah, I really don't know how much a naquqada generator runs, but I'm betting they're probably NOT cheap. Most likely it's cheaper for them to buy the power off the grid. Even if it's not, supplies of naquada aren't especially plentiful and are needed for the ships and other tech too. I also don't think that a naquada generator (mark 1 or mark 2) really provides all that much power. I mean, yes, they provide a TON of power for their size, but their overall output is probably not THAT great, likely in the range of 10s of thousands of watts. A gas powered portable generator can provide 1-10 thousand watts generally. A naquada generator is probably better than that (not to mention lighter and quieter).

We can put an approximate upper limit on it by looking at the episode where SG1 goes back in time. If I rememer from my prior research, the maximum alternator output of the trucks they used to power up the gate is around 100 amps at 24 v (of which some of it is needed to run the truck, but that could likely be made up by the battery for a short time). Anyways, that gives us about 2400 watts per truck. They used 6 trucks to power the gate I think so assuming all were putting out maximum power to the gate (which I doubt but we'll go with it here) gives a total power output of about 14000 watts. Since a single naquada generator can dial a gate, it's safe to assume that they can output at least 15000 watts. Now we also know that it takes 10 times the standard amount of power to dial intergalactic (at least to the Asgard galaxy). Since no one thought to hook up a naquada generator to the gate to dial to Atlantis, it's probably safe to say that naquada generators won't do the job. Furthermore the mark 2 generator has six or seven times the output of the mk 1 generators (depends on if they meant the INCREASE was 600% or that the total output was 600%). Still they didn't try to use a mk2 generator to power the gate to Atlantis so that also would suggest that even the mk2 is not sufficient. That puts us closer to the lower end of the figure for the output then. If they could have powered the gate with the mk2 and sent the ZPM through I think it's a safe bet they would have.

So I would guess that the output is probably right around the the 15,000-16,000 watt range. I base this on the fact that if it were even only 20,000 watts then 7 times that would put it at 140,000 watts, same as the power figure needed to dial intergalactic (even if it was just a little bit short they could have easily made up any difference from the SGC's main power supply. Only with the naq generator being barely sufficient to dial the gate does it make sense).

Now, I will say that it IS possible that since the gate can store power that they might have run the trucks for a longer time than they would have had to pull power from the naq generator in order to build up sufficient charge. But I also doubt they were getting peak output from the alternators so that could be a wash. Any way you look at it though, the output of the reactor has to be just barely enough for it to be able to dial the gate.

Comment

Working...
              X