This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What happened to these episodes?

My boyfriend and I just viewed Volume 4 of the Season 8 DVD set this evening, and I think we're both a little perplexed. Volume 3 had some things that we liked in it, and seemed to be progressing all right. Not great, not top form, but all right. (By the way, we haven't seen all of season 8 yet so please be kind and don't reply with spoilers. Thanks.)

Then we saw "It's Good to be King," which started out well enough. We hadn't seen Maybourne in a long time so it was amusing to see him again. We were even interested in the Ancient time-travelling ship that they found. The problem came at the end of the episode when they swiftly defeated another mothership full of jaffa and a named goa'uld using the time ship - and then there was a cut to the parting scene at the gate, and the show was over. It was a hole so big I felt like I fell through it. There wasn't one line of explanation about what happened to such an important little ship (especially since the SGC has such trouble keeping hold of ANY ships, it seems).

This sort of disjunction became a trend in "Full Alert," which had so many problems I'm not sure where to begin. You would think that after Vala's attack they would have posted considerable, constant security around the darned ring device on Prometheus.

It was even worse in "Citizen Joe." It made no sense to us that O'Neill would have visions for the last seven years and not tell anyone about it. No sense at all. I figured that the script would say that O'Neill had dreamed of Joe, which made a lot more sense and explained why he didn't seem to recognize Joe at all when he first showed up - but it didn't. The script continued to make no sense as the episode went on. I mean, there's no way that that they could have let Joe go knowing what he does, and they would never have authorized anyone to tell Joe's wife about such classified information. Validating someone like Joe makes the whole SGC vulnerable; it has been the policy of the government to discredit those who come across information about the stargate.

What I want to know is: what happened to these episodes? Were scenes cut for time? Was the scriptwriting rushed? Does anyone know?
    Running a gaming web site near you:
    Kismet's Dungeons and Dragons * Debriefing: The Stargate Roleplaying Game

I t wasn't a mothership that was destroyed, it was a Hatak.

Later on there will be a very BIG explanation on the outcome of the time ship (Moebius)!

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith_Hunter
      I t wasn't a mothership that was destroyed, it was a Hatak.

Later on there will be a very BIG explanation on the outcome of the time ship (Moebius)!
      In the series a Ha'tak is commonly referred to as a mothership.

Comment

Originally posted by kismetrose
        <Snip>
        Then we saw "It's Good to be King," which started out well enough. We hadn't seen Maybourne in a long time so it was amusing to see him again. We were even interested in the Ancient time-travelling ship that they found. The problem came at the end of the episode when they swiftly defeated another mothership full of jaffa and a named goa'uld using the time ship - and then there was a cut to the parting scene at the gate, and the show was over. It was a hole so big I felt like I fell through it. There wasn't one line of explanation about what happened to such an important little ship (especially since the SGC has such trouble keeping hold of ANY ships, it seems).

This sort of disjunction became a trend in "Full Alert," which had so many problems I'm not sure where to begin. You would think that after Vala's attack they would have posted considerable, constant security around the darned ring device on Prometheus.

It was even worse in "Citizen Joe." It made no sense to us that O'Neill would have visions for the last seven years and not tell anyone about it. No sense at all. I figured that the script would say that O'Neill had dreamed of Joe, which made a lot more sense and explained why he didn't seem to recognize Joe at all when he first showed up - but it didn't. The script continued to make no sense as the episode went on. I mean, there's no way that that they could have let Joe go knowing what he does, and they would never have authorized anyone to tell Joe's wife about such classified information. Validating someone like Joe makes the whole SGC vulnerable; it has been the policy of the government to discredit those who come across information about the stargate.

What I want to know is: what happened to these episodes? Were scenes cut for time? Was the scriptwriting rushed? Does anyone know?
        The timeship is addressed. We were just supposed to assume they did what they did (they seem to be writing assuming the fans will assume a lot these days)

The Full Alert thing was just a plot device like the PU thing and the Gemini thing. In real life no one in USAF or any earth military would be that stupid (I hope).

The citizen joe thing.... if you were O'Neill would you tell anyone?
        But I agree he should have recognized Joe AND there is no way he should have told Joes wife the truth (but people dont harp on it like they harp on the "telling pete" thing from S7 which was just as bad).

Anyway....

Scenes cut? no not really
        Was scriptrwriting rushed? rushed or just bad.
        Do we know for sure? no not really.
        Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

AH Citizen Joe is like the best episode! The producers actually let us know that we know about what problems are going on with Stargate... aka bad team interaction.. stuff like that.

But just wait until you see Threads and Moebius. They're so good, your jaw will fall off

Comment

Oh I liked Citizen Joe to. And I think Reckoning was one of the best SG-1 eps ever. But there were plenty of assumptions in season 8 too. These seem to show up more and more in the later seasons.
            Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

I think Series 8 started off well, but for some reason their were more poor episodes overall compared to good episodes.

In earlier series there was the odd one or two in a series that could be classed as poor.

In series 8 poor episodes IMO were Affinity,Covenant,Sacrifices and Full Alert

Saying that there were some fantastic episodes like Reckoning and Moebius

STARGATE ATLANTIS'S
              legacy continues with New Movies

Visit my new Stargate Atlantis Blog @

http://stephenswords.blogspot.com

Comment

When episodes are finished they are often cut in order for them to fit the 42 minute time frame that the episode has. Often scenes which arent felt to move the story foward are cut.

Comment

Originally posted by bcfc

In series 8 poor episodes IMO were Affinity,Covenant,Sacrifices and Full Alert

Saying that there were some fantastic episodes like Reckoning and Moebius

I enjoyed Sacrifices and Full Alert.

IMO, the poor episodes were Affinity, Covenant, Endgame and Citizen Joe

Comment

I found all of these episodes but FULL ALERT to be good episodes. My problem with FULL ALERT was that it lacked scope. There was a world-wide military crisis where the U.S. and Russia were on the verge of an all-out nuclear war. All we saw was the SGC, some military base in Russia, and the Prometheus. It was very underwelming. I expected to see missile silo doors opening, bombers in the air (ala the montages from the wonderful movie Thirteen Days) and the like. But I realize that full Alert was simply a way to send the whole plotline of the Osiris ship and to kill of Kinsey (or did they?) but it was a waste of an episode.

timdalton007

Comment

I thought they were both fine!
                      I found MGs site...this is what happend....I laughed
                      so hard i fell backwards in my chair and hit my head....*Now has big bump on head*
                      But it was worth it ....*Bows before the almighty MG*

Rotating Sig courtesy of Abydos
                      Thanks to SmallTimePerson for the Atlantis Gaurdians Pic
                      GW My home away from home....
                      My Goal in life....Become King of games

Comment

Working...
                      X