This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PtahTheCreationGod
    When those people started falling ill, she proved that she cared, even after they were going to kill her she still showed compassion. She worked until she was exhausted to help, doesn't that sound like she has a big heart. And I dont remember saying she was a hero at all, just that she is not purely selfish.
    To me it seemed more like guilt.

Originally posted by Kelso
    Well, with the Lucien Alliance becoming a major threat in the galaxy... Vala's criminal experience would be incredibly valuable. She has experience in the criminal underworld, which is something that none of our regulars can bring to the table. Also, her experiences in the Ori galaxy will likely give her a unique motivation for joining the fight.
    Good point, partially. But she is what she is: she steals, cheats. Can she be entirely trusted? No way. Now with the baby plot she may have one more reason to steal. (It's for the baby when he/she grows). The Lucian Alliance (of theives) I don't see them major players in the MW. The Ori are good enough. But how will she come back beats me. She doesn't know their language (what? will she pretend that is a deaf and mute?). I see Vala as a trojan horse (without her even knowing) with or without the child plot. The Ori for all intents and porposes might know of her presence and feed her wrong intel, let her go back in the MW. Or give her the real intel: (Look how powerfull we are, there is nothing you can do about it, worshipping the Ori is the better way, go tell the others, we'll even let you go). Or let her gather real intel so when she comes back she could tell them that resitence is futile.
    She could give the SGC info about the Ori, but I don't see her as a member of SG-1. TPTB would have to work very very hard to make that a believeble story. Doable but unlikely.
    The trouble with Vala is that there some rules some established standards.
    AGateFan put it better:
    Originally posted by AGateFan
    can see no logical reason a thief would willingly joined SG-1. Nor can I see any logical reason for the USAF to employ a thief who assaulted multiple members of the USAF and stole USAF equipment. Believability has completely gone out the window. They will be violating the universal rules that they have established in show and thus suspension of belief will be completely gone.
    BTW the people of the planet were not going to kill her. They too showed compassion and decided to lock her up for life instead of excuting her for the enslavment of their people. Thats more compassion then the Cor-i people were going to show Teal'c... although they eventually relented and let him leave just like these people did with Vala.
    People tend to have a short memory. The Cor-Ai people were constantly terrorized by the Goa'uld incursions when the trial occured. Vala's worshippers weren't that terrorized by her in the last 2 years (I think so).
    And there was no Ori factor in Cor-Ai, people didn't have "other issues to deal with", like in 9x05.

Originally posted by Kensterman
    [Vala] Kinda like a floater character like Harry Mudd from Star Trek..or even the Ferengi, or if I might say Q.
    After I saw the last episode of TNG I realised that TNG was basically the Q story (humanity being on trial). Q was very important to TNG (are you on a subconscient level implying that Vala may be to SG-1 as important as Q was for TNG?)
    School is overrated.

Comment

You cannot compare Teal'c and Vala.
      The first thing Teal'c did in the SGC was SAVE the SGC from a goa'uld
      The first thing Vala did in the SGC was take a member of the SGC hostage and threaten his life so she could get some treasure that didnt belong to her.
      No, the first thing that Teal'c did was to storm the Gateroom... attacking, killing and kidnapping USAF personnel.

Comment

Originally posted by Kelso
        No, the first thing that Teal'c did was to storm the Gateroom... attacking, killing and kidnapping USAF personnel.
        Well I didnt want to go that far back.. We can say the first appearance are:

Teal'c following the commands of a being he knows is not a god but believes is invincible follows orders and attacks the SGC.

Vala, because shes greedy and feels like it uses a distress call as a trap to pull in a USAF ship that wanted to render assistance. She borded that ship of her own accord and assulted multiple members of the crew. Stranded its crew on another ship that had no power (likely would have been found by the goa'uld resulting in the death of all crew... but because of Gen Hammonds heroics she only almost caused his death). Took a crewman hostage, of her own choice, attempted to sell the ship to some smugglers, of her own choice causing enough damage to the USAF ship that they were unable to complete their original missions. She also assulted several crewmen when she escaped.

Teal'c was a General in a military. He knew what he was doing was wrong and tried to modify his "gods" actions to do the least damage possible, just as Bratec taught him.

Vala is an admitted theif that will do whatever is in her best interest, irregardless of how it affects others. Heck, she will even enslave an entire planet if it is in her interest.

EDIT: Which one of these people do you want watching your back?
        Teal'c is a member of SG-1 ONLY because Jack O'Neill looked into his eyes and saw an honorable warrior who will "pledge his life to the defense of our world".
        Vala is a person who Daniel looked in the eye... and took back the precious artifact she stole... while lying to him... while looking him in the eye.
        Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Vala's life was shattered by the Goauld. Now, she does what is needed for survival. Granted, she is a thief and a con-artist, but have we ever seen her kill anyone?

Teal'c has committed countless atrocities in the name of the Goauld. We don't place blame on him, because his actions were necessary to protect himself and his family from the wrath of Apophis. Ultimately, we accepted him because he gave up that life to fight for a just cause. Why should Vala be any different?

Now, with her experiences in the Ori galaxy... Vala could find sufficient motivation to give up her criminal past and put her unique talents into fighting for something larger than herself... specifically, in aiding us in our fight against the Ori.

Comment

My hope, if Vala does become a regular, is that the slight change we've seen in her will continue. Maybe exposure to the rest of the team will rub off on her a little. I mean, she did save the day in "Beachhead". That's worth something to me.
            sigpic
            MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
            "...phu...ah..."
            "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
            Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I'm taking a wait and see approach to everything at this point. Season 1 didn't do it for me until the very end and then Season 2 and I was in. I view Season 9 as a new Season 1 so I'll wait till 10 starts rolling before I feel like they've all had their chance. Honestly I'm more worried about Carter than Vala at this point. Hope she gets back her feel for the show, and the writers figure out something interesting for her. My main hope for 10; massive, massive, overload of Browder. We need more. Much more. And I need someONE to command dammit!!

Comment

Should we expect a 5 men team next season?
                School is overrated.

Comment

Originally posted by The Engineer
                  Should we expect a 5 men team next season?
                  Before that happens I'd have to advocate infecting Dr. Lam with some alien virus so that she gains super human strength and some kind of mental powers rivaling the Ori while simotaneously compelling her to wear skimpy leather and join SG-1. Hey,...it could happen??

Comment

can see no logical reason a thief would willingly joined SG-1. Nor can I see any logical reason for the USAF to employ a thief who assaulted multiple members of the USAF and stole USAF equipment.
                    I'm with ya on this one. It would be shattering the small amount of character they've built for Vala. She's a supporting role character (Jacob, Braytak), nothing more. Hell, they still suspect Teal'c of turning traitor once a season and he's saved the Earth hundreds of times for nine years! It would be stupid to put Vala in SG-1, the elite unit on Earth. Really hope that doesn't happen. I'm not saying I don't want Vala on SG-1 the show, just not the team. SHE'S A THIEF, as AGateFan already stated.

Comment

Originally posted by Nem2k
                      tbh it feels like im the only person who feels this way about the direction the show is going in because a lot of people are wanting S10 to continue without the original team as long as the stories are good. Dunno, guess Im the only one who feels that this is a unique show because the team and their relationship are more important than the stories
                      No man, you're not alone.
                      Your posts have pretty much summed up my feelings.

As much as I dislike Vala and as happy as I was to see her 'die' in 'Beach-head', I would accept her as recurring/supporting role....not a full time cast member and definatly not a member of Sg-1.

I don't underdstand how the writers fail to notice the flaws we point out and as someone said in another thread, amking her a full time member will obviously see her undergoe some changes, which will make her different to the charcter that fans have 'warmed to'.
                      Teal'c: I have read of a place where humans do battle in a ring of Jell-o.
                      O'Neill: ...Call Daniel.

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man
                        My hope, if Vala does become a regular, is that the slight change we've seen in her will continue. Maybe exposure to the rest of the team will rub off on her a little. I mean, she did save the day in "Beachhead". That's worth something to me.
                        Vala does become a regular in season 10.
                        http://www.gateworld.net/news/2005/1...sg-1icas.shtml
                        http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire2005/index.php?id=33347
                        School is overrated.

Comment

Yep, I've since seen that. I can't wait to see how tptb are going to fit her into the show permanently.
                          sigpic
                          MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                          "...phu...ah..."
                          "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                          Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by Joxentine
                            Why would they employ Teal'c? He had knowledge of the enemy and helped to save SG-1.

Why would they employ Vala? She is gonna come back from the Ori galaxy. What do you think she is coming back with?
                            I think the question we should be asking is, what is she coming back "as"...

Spoiler:
                            I assumed that Gerak would be a good character, I was wrong. I will not assume that Vala will be part of SG-1....

I agree with the fifth man, I can't wait to see how they rewrite her back into the script!
                            Last edited by Pryito; 22 November 2005, 09:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pryito
                              I think the question we should be asking is, what is she coming back "as"...

Spoiler:
                              I assumed that Gerak would be a good character, I was wrong. I will not assume that Vala will be part of SG-1....

I agree with the fifth man, I can't wait to see how they rewrite her back into the script!
                              like I said on another thread: I think as an advisors in matters involving the Ori.
                              School is overrated.

Comment

Working...
                              X