Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did this season just get better or what?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SciFi has a habit of promoting the hell out of a show. I only notice it because I record SG-1 and skip through the commercials, so I see them in FFWD. They (SciFi) also promote way ahead for some things. I remember Battlestar Galactica was getting huge spots at least six months in advance and the Taken commercials seemed to be on every five minutes at one point. They're already promoting Earthsea, which isn't until December. I was actually getting worried that I didn't see more Stargate spots, but now they do seem to be coming fast and furious. Can't wait for the new season(s)!
    Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
    O'Neill: Who doesn't?
    - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
    - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
    once done, cannot be undone...
    brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

Comment

I think Sci-fi's confidence of overpromoting went down when their newest sci-fi mini-series didn't do wonders like their other mini-series'.
      Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

I'm assuming you're referring to 5 Past Midnight? In that case, the promoting worked, but the series wasn't that good. I think he first night was highly rated, but the subsequent nights dropped off dramatically.

Back OT: I've been avoiding major spoilers beyond the briefest of descriptions of upcoming eps and I'm really looking forward to Season 8. It seems there's a lot of positive buzz about the Atlantis preview on the UK DVD, so I'm looking forward to that too!
        Last edited by Anthro Girl; 30 June 2004, 02:12 AM. Reason: Hit submit too fast
        Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
        O'Neill: Who doesn't?
        - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
        - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
        once done, cannot be undone...
        brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

Comment

Heh, 'OT' is 'on topic' as well as 'off topic', that confused me for a second hehe...

Anyways, yes, i bet the preview DVD is making alot of UK'ers pumped for the premieres

Comment

Well, it has certainly worked with me!
            __

__

Comment

So... the US doesn't get "preview DVDs?" Or do they? What I wouldn't give for one of those... hehe.

Also, just to clarify, the only reason why I find the commercials annoying is because I'll purposely watch the commercials (something I hate, might I add), and won't see a single commercial. And then, as soon as I leave the room, I'll hear that one guy's deep voice asking the rhetorical question, "Are you ready for the new season? blah, blah, blah..." or worse, that gig that Carter/Sheppard do for "Get in the Gate." It sounds quite humorous, but I never see it. Apparently, at one point, they showed all of the versions of that commercial at once. Grr... I've only seen one. Anyway, I'll get into the room too late and BOOM it's over... *sigh* Very depressing...

Comment

Its a shame the show doesn't have more money behind it...it would make a big difference
                Jackson: Hathor was the Egyptian goddess of fertility, inebriety, and music.
                O'Neill: Sex, drugs, and rock and roll?

Comment

Just because a show has a huge budget, doesn't necessarily mean the stories themselves are going to be any better. It doesn't improve any acting or anything. It just gives the producers more money to spend on computer stuff, animations, props, paying the cast and all the other little bits that make their money stretch a lot further
                  __

__

Comment

Originally posted by hail_jack
                    Its a shame the show doesn't have more money behind it...it would make a big difference
                    The Average episode cost 1.6 million, how much more do you want to give them.
                    It’s the show that doesn’t end, it goes on and on my friends, some people started watching not knowing what it was, but they will be watching forever just because it’s the show that doesn’t end…..

Comment

I have to agree. You couldn't get much more money for an episode. I think it may slowly creep up to $2m if MGM is generous enough!
                      __

__

Comment

SG gets 'the approx' 1.6 million per episode from Sci-fi, not mgm.

Comment

Damn, I missed the Lowdown last night because I had work and my recorder thingie stopped working. I'll have to wait another three days until Friday to watch it... but hey... it'll be just before the premiere of Season 8!

Which is why I'm posting here, of course. I can't wait to see Season 8! It looks so awesome... I agree with the vast majority that some interesting plot events are surfacing and character development is my specialty, so... mm...
                          If you've seen a Jeff O'Connor or a JeffZero or a Jeff Zero or a JeffZeroConnor elsewhere on the net, there's a considerable chance it's me.

Comment

I haven't seen any sort of promotion for Season 8, thanks to my Canadian status, but my anticipation level is probably at the highest it has been for any new TV season. This will be my first season of Stargate where I can more or less discuss it in real time, instead of years after the first airing. Yay new found obsession.

Comment

I haven't read any of this thread, cause I don't wanna ruin S8 too much for myself (can't wait!), but I thought of something. With Jack and Sam's promotions and all, isn't it kinda funny that Jack will have to call Sam 'Colonel' now? I mean, she's been calling him that for 7 years, it's gotta be kinda wierd... Oh well, I'm just musing.
                              Teenager Wisdom: "There's no such thing as original thought anymore. We're all just regurgitating the same old ideas over and over again, melting them down into a giant melting pot of mediocrity." -Andy Spencer, CITIZEN JOE
                              CkiCki

Comment

Working...
                              X