This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey guys, new here.
    I was on imdb, and noticed that Sam's gonna be promoted to Lt. Colonel this season, maybe in the first episode. I don't know if the info was posted yet, just something that I picked up.

Comment

Yes, hehe, according to many spoilers, there will be more than one promotion
      Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

spoilers

the first thing general jack will do, is promote carter to Lt. Colonel

Comment

Can Gen. Jack O'Niell do that? just promote Sam with out a test. I thought that you are reqwired to take test every so often as to get promoted. I think!!! How do Teal'c and Daniel get promoted they deserve a promotion too, or do they just get raises? Is Teal'c promotion alowing him to live off base?

Comment

Originally posted by Chirp
            How do Teal'c and Daniel get promoted they deserve a promotion too, or do they just get raises?
            Considering they're not in the military, it'd be kinda hard to promote them. Of course, Teal'c has already had the highest rank among Jaffa.
            Twitter / YouTube / Twitch

Comment

Originally posted by Rhyus
              Ok, maybe 'dumb' wasn't the correct word, but, he does 'act' like he doesn't know anything, even if he does. I forgot the episode, but, the scene was Sam, Jack and Hammond. Sam was trying to explain something and Jack jumped in and explained the workings of the wormhole, which, Sam said that he was right about. For the rest of the scene, each time you saw Jack, he kept saying, "I was right." If my memory serves me right, I think it was Red Sky from 5th season. Yes, I know Jack isn't stupid, as he can pilot jet fighters along with the X302. And, he has even had a chance at piloting a cargo ship and I think he even had a turn at a mothership once. And to be able to pilot any of those craft, you have to have brains. But, when I was talking about being 'dumb', I was talking about all those times that Sam or even Daniel starts explaining things in real detail and you see Jack and it looks like their words are hurting his brain. But, in the end, Jack knows exactly what is happening. But, with him taking over as General of SGC, either they are going to focus more on doing base shows or they are going to do the missions without Jack present for most of them and it is going to not be as good. I have a feeling that things are going to become more techno-babble or not as gung-ho as before with Jack in charge of SG-1.

First things first: in that episode, Jack says "I was right" (after his initial question to her: "I was right?" as in, "You really mean I got that right?") a grand total of twice.

As to Jack's intelligence: (THIS IS SEASON 8 BUT THEY AREN'T SPOILERS FOR ANY EPS ) SOLUTIONS has posted some photographs from Gen. O'Neill's office. They show certificates that, in addition to showing that Jack completed the Air Commando Operations Course and also received a certificate for excellence for special operations under the Space Systems Command, Jack graduated from the AF Academy as a 2nd Looey having achieved academic excellence in--wait for it--military science AND engineering. Jack has an engineering degree!

And he reads National Geographic--chock full of archaeology, astronomy, paleontology, anthropology and geography.

Has he been yanking everyone's chain or what??

J.
              Last edited by DarkQuee1; 04 July 2004, 05:19 PM. Reason: edited for stupid errors in verb tenses!
              "He's an amazing man. After everything he's done, he's still modest. Quite self-effacing actually. He even likes people to think he's not as smart as he is. Bottom line, he's an incredibly strong leader who's given more to this program than any man has given to anything I can imagine."

Comment

Originally posted by Chirp
                How do Teal'c and Daniel get promoted they deserve a promotion too, or do they just get raises? Is Teal'c promotion alowing him to live off base?
                If really want to think about it, Daniel works for sub-division of the military, like the private sector. Daniel will most likely get a raise. As for Teal'c...

POSSIBLE SPOILER FOR SEASON 8 (just highlight in the space)

Well in Affinity in Season 8, O'Neil gives Teal'c the opportunity to live off the base and Teal'c take up the opportunity to do it. I like always those episodes where it surrounds Teal'c trying to fit on Earth. We will see what happens.

I could be wrong though
                I think that would answer your question.
                Oma: The universe is vast and we are so small. There is only one thing we can truly control.
                Daniel: What's that?
                Oma: Whether we are good or evil.

-Meridian (521)

Comment

He's smart, but he's not Daniel and Sam smart. There's a difference. If all of the characters were on Sam and Daniel's level of understanding, there'd be no point in explaining things, so that we the watchers would understand.

I have a masters degree in Forestry, but when my best friend goes off on an tangent about astronomy, I'm lost. Does that make me dumb, because I need laymans terms for an area I've no clue about?

Watch Carter actually explain something to him, and he grasps it, very quickly, when it's explained to him in a way he understands it.

Comment

Totally right. You can't have everyone at the Danile and Sam level of understanding because simply they'd all know too much and watching the show you do actually learn a but about all these science things!
                    __

__

Comment

Rank comes with time in grade. Usually after a set period of time, a person is eligible for promotion. Of course, in some instances there must be a slot open in the next rank. I'm not absolutely sure how it works for officers, but enlisted ranks must complete required courses to be "promotable". Physical fitness and weapons marksmanship must be completed and passed as well.

Comment

Has he been yanking everyone's chain or what??
                        I think part of Jack's "Hunh?"s and "What?"s is RDA having fun with the character, but I also think it is a plot device.

Carter says a lot of stuff that would go over the heads of the general audience, but in having Jack always need a simpler explanation, the audience, too, gets that layman's terms explanation and can keep up with the story.
                        Fitness Buddies

Comment

I think he will be a gung-ho, 'dumb', comical type general.

Comment

Yeah, on Stargate, the characters ACTUALLY reflect what the viewer is thinking. Sometimes the viewer thinks to himself or herself, "this villain is really annoying, I wouldn't be so honorable like the hero -- I'd mouth off and choke the SOB!" and suuure enough, Jack O'Neill does it a few moments later! That's one of my FAVE things about the show, that it doesn't treat the viewer as a dummy. Yasureyabetcha
                            Lord TorleYu-wong Chong Techno - create a "Window of Opportunity"

get hooked, click here to listen to "The_Autistic_World_of_Torley.mp3" | dialup version
                            more @ torley's techno music and anti-techno music blog

Comment

Originally posted by Rhyus
                              While it might be a good promotion for Jack, for the show, I think it will have lost one of its major elements. Jack's character is a gung-ho, 'dumb', comical type of guy.
                              I don't know if 'dumb' is the right word but I certainly wouldn't want him in charge of an RL SGC, he is a GREAT Field Commander but I don't think he has the personality it takes to run a project like the SGC. For one it takes some skills in diplomacy which Jack tends to lack. He CAN be diplomatic at times but let's face it for the most part he just doesn't care if we have allies or not. He'd just as soon steal tech from our allies and alienate them as he would from the Goa'Uld...not the guy I want in charge, sorry...

POSSIBLE SPOILER WARNING!

BTW, Did anyone else notice that Sam is ALSO getting a promotion!?
                              As I watched Stargate To Atlantis while they were talking about Jack's promotion they also showed a picture of Sam standing with him after the promotion and she was wearing Silver Oak Leaf Clusters...that's Lt. Colonel, Majors were gold...

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff
                                Rank comes with time in grade. Usually after a set period of time, a person is eligible for promotion. Of course, in some instances there must be a slot open in the next rank. I'm not absolutely sure how it works for officers, but enlisted ranks must complete required courses to be "promotable". Physical fitness and weapons marksmanship must be completed and passed as well.
                                Air Force promotions are significantly different then the other branches (especially for enlisted), it tends to be much harder to get promoted in the Air Force (trust me ). In the Air Force officers must have completed all required “Professional Military Education (PME)” and appropriate carrier field (AFSC) training and have a slot open to be promoted. Above a certain level (MAJOR I think) they also need approval of congress and the President (although this is usually a formality…) Daniel is probably a DOD civilian (GS/GM or SES) their pay is based on the grade (i.e. job) and Steps within the grade for time in service etc…if you’re lucky you get a bonus if you’re in a critically manned field (the IT bonus is around $6,000) It would be fairly easy for Daniel to get promoted either by steps of reclassifying his job at a higher pay grade.

thanks for letting me ramble.....

Comment

Working...
                                X