This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tape it.

It makes ALL the differance, I'll NEVER see another PetMeds commercial again.
    Making a sci fi show is expensive, I don't mind stupid advertisers throwing away their money thinking that I'm going to watch their commercials when in fact I just use them to pay for my favorite shows.

Comment

I feel SG-1 lost a little "something" when they got too into the science. I liked it better when Schroedinger's cat was a fallacy from early Tollan physics and FTL communication was too advanced for Earthlings. Sure they could figure out how to operate the technology, but what made it work was thousands of years ahead of their understanding in most cases. I don't mind some of the tech we see now, cause it fits with the humans scavenging(sp?) habits, but I'd rather any ships they had be the result of robbing the Goa'uld. And what really gets me is the sudden ability to apparently "understand" Ancient technology, something that should be millions of years ahead of Earth, along with the fact that our current scientific knowledge seems to be nigh unto completely accurate now. I wanna see Sam spew off something and Thor look at her like she doesn't know anything. Earthlings are the teens of the galactic neighborhood. We think we know what's going on, but we still have tons to learn.

I suppose I should mention I haven't read through all the responses, and someone may have already said something like this. If so, consider this as my joining you in agreement.
      Cogito ergo dubito.

"How happy are the astrologers if they tell one truth to a hundred lies, while other people lose all credibility if they tell one lie to a hundred truths." - Francesco Guicciardini

An escalator can never be broken, it can only become stairs. You never see "Escalator temporarily out of service." It's "Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Comment

I think Stargate is still pretty believable...Sometimes their understanding of advanced technology is a bit unrealistic in some ways, but I look at it the same as when new technology comes onto our markets for example when PC's were first release, planes, cars even CD players, Mp3 players ect (new advanced technologies)....When you first get one or use one your not sure how it works you fiddle with it for a while make some mistakes (who actually reads the instruction manuals? hands up?) then eventually you learn how to use it properly...but just because you can use these new technologies doesnt mean you completely understand how they work or that you could actually build one yourself...After a few months or years you can learn. I mean look at how many people build their own PC's now..Fix their own cars ect...

I look at Stargate the same way for example when Rodney got a hold of the ancients personal shield device or when they aquired the PJ's, they were able to use them but they didnt know exactly how they worked and they couldnt reproduce them...they still cant....(sorry im waffling on)...I figure that no matter how advanced a piece of technology seems eventually someone will find the 'on' button ect....Hope im making sense it is nearly 2am so i apologise if im not..

As for the prometheus ect...i just suspend belief for a little while

Comment

Originally posted by Apogeal Alpha 01
          Frankly, one of the first things that was unbelievable was Samantha Carter. Genius that can understand the technologies of million year old civilizations would be rare, but Sam seems to understand the technologies on the fly. If Sam were in the Pegusus galaxy instead of the egomaniacal McKay, the Wraith would be in big trouble.

How many times has she said, "Sir, I don't know if I can." And then, "Hey, it worked!" Aw shucks.
          It makes no more sense than Daniel happening to know every language or culture they come across, or Teal'c always happening to know an 'Ancient Jaffa Legend'.

Comment

Originally posted by Agent_Dark
            It makes no more sense than Daniel happening to know every language or culture they come across, or Teal'c always happening to know an 'Ancient Jaffa Legend'.
            I agree
            They have tried to cover this i.e. showing Daniel and Sam as uber genius and Teal'c is over 100 years old.
            Within traditions of Scifi they have been exposed to alot of Alien tech/experiences that has changed them continuously over the years and could be used to explain why they have the ability to understand more than the norm even for really clever people. I mean who can compare how ascension could possible change a person or being taken over by a symbiot?
            Last edited by Sprinkles; 23 September 2005, 06:04 PM.
            AncientsTimeline

Comment

Is it still believable? Was it ever?

I think it's as believable as it can get, given that they go through a ring that forms a wormhole to another galaxy.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Darth Buddha
                Unfortunately, we've lost several key elements that made the show distinctive: the strong ties to human archaeology (let's call it the "Chariots of the Gods" element), the fledgling humanity taking tentative steps into the galaxy element, and now the "no huge contradictions with real world events" bites the dust.
                Unfortunately, going back to that would make no sense. The whole ancient thing kinda makes everything between the ancients ascension and the end of the goualds moot. Who cares about ancient egypt, when everything that made it up was tied to the goualds, and they are dead. Its atlantian history that matters now. And its dumb to think all these interactions with the stargate can always be contained. I mean its kinda unrealistic that the battle at the end of season 7 wasn't found out by anyone else on earth. The show would stop progressing if you didn't start working towards everyone on earth finding out about the stargate.

Comment

Working...
                X