X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why the Ancients created the Hotzone Virus

SPOILERS FOR SG-1 "THE FOURTH HORSEMAN"

Well now we know why the Ori need human followers, they feed off the belief generated by worship. So If you were an evil Lantian with not alot morals, maybe a little paranoid knowing the Ori are still out there - how would you weaken them.

How about you create a virus that destroys their followers leaving our people untouched. Heck its even a kind of poetic justice - the Ori unleashed the plague on the MW so you send a plague right back.

So I'm thinking the a Lantian scientist was responsible for the Hotzone virus. As a weapon against their enemies the Ori who drove them from their homes twice - first forcing them to flee the Ori galaxy in fear for their lives and secondly infecting their new home in the MW with a plague that forced them to flee to Pegasus
    sigpic

but theres one problem they said that the ancients didnt make the hotzone nanites

Comment

Originally posted by captain keys
      but theres one problem they said that the ancients didnt make the hotzone nanites
      They said the Wraith never made them and that they hadn't seen anything like them before. But the nanites were found in an ancient lab, and they definitly haven't seen all the technology of the Ancients yet
      sigpic

Comment

i belive they said that they wernt made by the wraith and or the ancients nso there could be a advanced civalization ot there (mabye the ori)

Comment

Anything that is simple enough to be turned off permanently by a 20kT nuke wouldn't even be close to stop ancients/ori in their pre-ascended form. Would be too easy for them to stop.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve_the_Wraith
            SPOILERS FOR SG-1 "THE FOURTH HORSEMAN"

first forcing them to flee the Ori galaxy in fear for their lives and secondly infecting their new home in the MW with a plague that forced them to flee to Pegasus
            We dont know the ori created the plague.

Best Stargate quote:
            Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
            Green is your friend.

Comment

Originally posted by csand36
              We dont know the ori created the plague.
              Uhm yes we do, because it was just on SG-1, almost the entire planet has the plague now (we have to wait untill the second part of the season to find out more at SG-1)
              On topic: The ancients maybe didnt create the hotzone virus, maybe they were studying it, like they encountered it somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by wolverine_nl
                Uhm yes we do, because it was just on SG-1, almost the entire planet has the plague now (we have to wait untill the second part of the season to find out more at SG-1)
                On topic: The ancients maybe didnt create the hotzone virus, maybe they were studying it, like they encountered it somewhere.
                They couldn't have made the plague that wiped out the ancients.

First, if they Ori were ascended first, they would have wiped the ancients out already.

Second, if they made the plague in the MW galaxy all those millions of years ago, they already knew about the MW. Its been stated that the Ancients have been sheilding us from the Ori until Daniel made them aware of our existance.

Third, Orlin said that he knew exactly what he needed to make to stop the plague, he just didn't have the parts. That seems to suggest that a society as resourceful as the Ancients would have had no problem stopping that plague in an instant.
                Before this day is done, I will feed on your buttery defiance

Comment

Originally posted by Steve_the_Wraith
                  How about you create a virus that destroys their followers leaving our people untouched. Heck its even a kind of poetic justice - the Ori unleashed the plague on the MW so you send a plague right back.
                  But the nano virus affects All humans, besides from direct descendants of the ancients, or those with the artificial gene.

Comment

I always thought that the virus was an invention of a group of Ancients who had extreme views on how to defeat the Wraith. The Wraith, who both feed on humans, and might even be mutated humans themselves, might have enough human physiology to be affected by the virus.

A more plausible explanation is that the most extreme right- of the Ancients might have favored wiping out the humans of the Pegasus Galaxy altogether. Humans, who apparently reproduce far faster than Ancients, serve as food for the Wraith, and might even be the Wraith.
                    Jack: I can't remember much, but I have these visions- A large man, with short sleeves and blue pants...

I think his name is...Homer, and he's very important to me...

Comment

It's possible the ancients might have created the nano-virus to wipe the wraith
                      food supply. Just look at the entrance to the lab. It might have been a secret lab which ancients created the virus to end war.

One thing we know is that the ancients worked with other race like Dorandans from the episode "TRINITY"

Comment

Originally posted by ColdZero
                        They couldn't have made the plague that wiped out the ancients. >>snip<<

Third, Orlin said that he knew exactly what he needed to make to stop the plague, he just didn't have the parts. That seems to suggest that a society as resourceful as the Ancients would have had no problem stopping that plague in an instant.
                        All your points are quite good, I feel the third is the best. The speculation that the Pegasus ancients created the virus to kill off all the wraith food flies in the face of many things that we know about them, first being that they were generally good people. Also, if they could develop a virus to specifically target humans, then they can just as easily do the same and target only wraith. Better yet, make the virus harmless to humans and deadly to wraith, and spread it EVERYWHERE. That way no matter where the wraith went to feed, they'd die from the virus passed to them by the humans. It seems like this virus is an indicator of another race entirely that hates humans, or at the least wanted to kill humans to strike at the wraith.

The real question is - If the ancients were studying this virus either before or while they were fighting the wraith, why _didn't_ they reprogram it to strike only wraith/iratus bug DNA? Did they run out of time? Forget? Fail to reprogram the nanites? Fail to use the idea and manufacturer their own? For a civilization that develops things like ZPMs and stargates, I find all but the first hard to believe.

I definitely believe we'll find out more, perhaps in future seasons, about the race who developed the nanites. I've read what's available on gateworld for the rest of this season, and it doesn't look like it's going to be this year.

Comment

The real question is - If the ancients were studying this virus either before or while they were fighting the wraith, why _didn't_ they reprogram it to strike only wraith/iratus bug DNA? Did they run out of time? Forget? Fail to reprogram the nanites? Fail to use the idea and manufacturer their own? For a civilization that develops things like ZPMs and stargates, I find all but the first hard to believe.
                          I dont think they forgot, or failed to use this technique

The Ancients, being just that good, probably didnt intend the nanites to kill humans, the Wraith are partly human so to develop the virus nanites to kill wraith they need to start somewhere right?

Perhaps they ran out of time or found it hard to program the anti-wraith nanites, or (i like this one) they found that Wraith and Human DNA, altho different were too similar for the nanite to distinguish.

Using the latter theory it would make sence for the Ancients not to release the virus (because its still harmful to humans). Too bad we didnt have a wraith in that episode to prove this

Oh well.

Comment

Originally posted by Beelze
                            I dont think they forgot, or failed to use this technique

The Ancients, being just that good, probably didnt intend the nanites to kill humans, the Wraith are partly human so to develop the virus nanites to kill wraith they need to start somewhere right?
                            good point --- never thought of that

Comment

there was no evidence to suggest that the Ori created the plague it may have been the ancients own doing. there is also no evidence that the ancients created the hotzone virus, why would they kill what they created?

Comment

Working...
                              X