Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was the plot for Orlin in season 9 inspired by the film rebirth.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was the plot for Orlin in season 9 inspired by the film rebirth.

In the film birth (2004) Sean is a guy that dies and is re-incatnatted. The actor that plays the reincarnated Sean is Cameron Bright, the same actor that would go on to play the boy version of Orlin in season 9 of Stargate sg1. Pretty similar plot point with reincarnation as well.

The introduction of a child version or Orlin was a late (after the story idea was pitched, but before script writing began) change to the original idea of having the adult actor who played Orlin previously reprise his role. That actor was unavailable, so the writers came up with the idea of Orlin returning as a child to justify recasting the role.

If "Birth" was the genesis for that workaround or if the writers drew inspiration from the movie during the writing process, Joseph Mallozzi neglected to mention it when he wrote about the making of the episode for Gateworld (link: https://www.gateworld.net/sg1/s9/the...in-the-making/), and I've never seen it mentioned in connection with those episodes elsewhere.

However, I've never bothered with the DVD commentaries so you may want to give those a listen and "Birth" was topical at the time (script writing for "The Fourth Horseman" would have started just a few months after "Birth" was released). I remember the controversy surrounding the movie and the heightened attention it got on talk shows and in the media as a result, so it wouldn't surprise me if Stargate's writers had it on their minds when writing "The Fourth Horseman."
    Last edited by Xaeden; 29 March 2024, 03:49 AM.

Comment

Working...
    X