Schrödinger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Schrödinger

I have always wondered about Schrödinger, the cat Sam gave to Narim. Was Schrödinger her cat? Or did she get him from a shelter especially for Narim?
    At least the name seems like one that Sam would pick. It seemed so strange to me that she just let him take Schrödinger, if he really was her cat. Personally, i would have never been able to give my beloved pet to a stranger that is about to move to a different planet and who I am probably never going to see again.
    So, personally I like to believe that she got him from a shelter for Narim and either named him or picked a cat with a physics related name.

it is weird that she would give away her own cat, ya.
    on the Stargate Wiki it does say that it was hers "Schrödinger was Captain Samantha Carter's pet cat"

Comment

A cat named Schrödinger -- cruel joke if you ask me -- can only be Carter's cat and not some random shelter cat.

McKay too gave his cat away at the start of Atlantis.

Sometimes pets can't go with their owners -- how hard that reality is -- and you're forced to say goodbye to your fluffy companion. However, in the case of Carter, she gave the (overweight) pile of floof away to a new friend. Never saw Schrödinger again though... after he was used as a key to open the gate.
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Laisou View Post
        Personally, i would have never been able to give my beloved pet to a stranger that is about to move to a different planet and who I am probably never going to see again.
        So, personally I like to believe that she got him from a shelter for Narim and either named him or picked a cat with a physics related name.
        Well, it was season 1 and her life did radically change when she joined Sg-1. Maybe she thought the job wouldn't last long or that she could make it work, but the reality of spending weeks at a time offworld and occasionally becoming stuck on the base for prolonged periods while her cat either got shuffled around between her and a sitter or spent long periods of time alone with someone only stopping by periodically for feedings made her realize that it was in the cat's best interest to be re-homed.

Sending the cat to live with relatives may not have been an option (someone in the household may have an allergies, they may have had another animal that wouldn't adapt well to a new cat, etc.), and she had just recently relocated to Colorado, so she didn't have off-base friends in the area yet. Save Janet, another on-base person who didn't travel offworld very much that Carter befriended offscreen, or shipping him across country to live with a pre-Sg-1 friend, I don't see that she had many options except adopting the cat off to a stranger.

She may have already been thinking that she needed to find someone to adopt her cat when she brought him to visit Narim and realized he was a good fit after watching them bond. The alternative would be placing an ad in the newspaper or asking around work if anyone knew someone who wanted a cat and visitation probably wouldn't be an option in that case either.

Of course, it was never said where the cat came from in the episode, so I don't know if he was actually Carter's cat from before she joined Sg-1. I tend to think not because she handed him over very nonchalantly. I don't have an issue with her adopting her cat to Narim given her circumstances, but if it was her long term pet, I'd expected to see more emotion/some sort of farewell scene between Carter and Schrödinger.

However, it's also possible he was a stray who Carter recently took in until she could find him a home (or the like) and thus she didn't have a strong connection to him.
        Last edited by Xaeden; 15 December 2021, 12:31 AM.

Comment

I also thought it was a little strange that she just gave them the cat.

I mean, they know essentially nothing about this race, but here, take this cat.

No guarantee they will look after it, what the habitat would be etc...
          Chief Galen Tyrol: But how do you know I'm human?
          Brother Cavil: Oh, well, maybe because I'm a Cylon, and I've never seen you at any of the meetings.

Comment

Does anyone know who the cat belonged to in real life? He seemed so at ease on set, like he really belonged to one of the actors.

Comment

Working...
            X