Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stargate: Timekeepers (PC Strategy Game)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wouldn't consider these "no-name" developers, that's very unfair to them.
    I never called them a "no-name" developer. When I said "no-name", I was referring to the developers of Stargate the Alliance and Stargate Worlds. I said Slitherine was reputable company in fact:

It is a shame that MGM went with no name companies for the 1st two games, as they probably wouldn't have collapsed if they went with a more established company.

Slitherine is a more reputable company

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlueLotusBlossom View Post
      I might be in the minority of people, but I found Stargate Origins quite enjoyable because I came in with the expectation of it being very low budget...
      Welcome to the minority.
      It's quite cozy here.
      ​​
      Originally posted by NickEast View Post
      And I wouldn't consider these "no-name" developers, that's very unfair to them.
      In the grand scheme of things... fine, I'll say lesser-known then. Not mainstream perhaps.

Doesn't mean they're bad, by the way, just working on a smaller budget doesn't necessarily mean bad. On the contrary, they usually put in the right amount of effort and then some in their games.

Originally posted by NickEast View Post
      FYI, the RPG was said to already have been funded. The Kickstarter was for community support and any extras to improve what was already there. They were already far into production by the time they started crowdfunding, meaning they already had to have quite a bit of funding to get that far.
      Oh right, yes... sorry, my mistake.

Originally posted by TheBlueLotusBlossom View Post
      I never called them a "no-name" developer. When I said "no-name", I was referring to the developers of Stargate the Alliance and Stargate Worlds. I said Slitherine was reputable company in fact:
      But I did.
      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1HiM9iokp8&t=4698s

Some live gameplay.
        sigpic
        Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Originally posted by Elite Anubis Guard View Post
          Yeah, ok, still looks like a remake of Commando's but just with a different skin.
          Still think I'll pass on this one.

Comment

Stargate: Timekeepers beta aims to launch in time for SG1’s 25th anniversary

Creative Forge’s sci-fi real-time tactics game Stargate: Timekeepers is aiming to launch a public beta to coincide with its TV inspiration Stargate SG1’s 25th anniversary in July. Senior producer Neil McKenna pencilled in the timeframe at publisher Slitherine’s Home Of Wargamers event yesterday, while showing more new characters and gameplay from later in the campaign than when the game was last seen in December.
            sigpic
            Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Firefox thinks the link is dangerous... but then I remembered I'm on my work VPN so game-related sites are blocked anyway.

I sincerely hope they don't release too soon, beta or otherwise. If it's bugged, it won't be a good impression... even in beta-mode the bugs need to be contained.

Comment

Was actually reading an interesting discussion about this game on another forum, where a lot of people also stated that this is actually the type of game Slitherine is famous for: they grab a license for an IP, take a half-finished game or pre-existing game they already have in stock and just re-skin the characters to make them resemble the IP, add some quick and simple stuff and tadaaaaa, you have yourself a game.

Chances are pretty good that this game wasn't even developed specifically for Stargate after acquiring the IP license, but that they actually already had a finished or half-finished game which they just re-skinned after getting the license from MGM.

Pitty, could have been a good game.

Apparently this type of game development even has a name: creating shovelware / asset flip.

Comment

So, I'm wondering what the status of this thing is?
                  Still not exactly interested, but didn't I hear at some point that there might be a beta release by the 25th anniversary of SG-1?

Or has this game also gone the way of the dodo?

Comment

It has a Steam-page --> https://store.steampowered.com/app/1...e_Timekeepers/
                    But no release date.

Comment

Yep, no details what so ever.
                      They did an update on their youtube channel a couple of days ago with news about multiple games, nothing about the stargate game.

In the comments there's also a discussion ongoing, also several people who heard the same as me: there would be a beta by the time of the 25th anniversary.

That came and went, zero delivered.

Looks to me like this is going the same way as any potential new series: sucked via a black hole in a parallel universe that we'll never get to see for ourselves

EDIT: just remembered that their community manager once joined on here too.
                      https://forum.gateworld.net/stargate...eveal-tomorrow

From the looks of it, hasn't even been active anymore on here since December 21 of last year.

Comment

So Steam told me the game is coming out... I've checked the demo, not great, not awful. Who has bought it, and what are your thoughts on it?
                        Stargate Network, a Stargate 3D Fan-Game. Find our demo on ModDB.
                        And comment it on this GW Forum Thread

Comment

I noticed it was released yesterday -- saw David Hewlett RT a Slitherin tweet.

I'm not a PC-gamer (I prefer console: Xbox or Switch) and strategy games are not my preferred genre either.

I may download the demo but I doubt I'll take to it.

Comment

...and I decided against downloading the demo.

I went to the Steam page. Got a look at the game play and unfortunately this is not a game for me, and from the reviews I read I am quite sure this is not my thing.

Comment

So I've just wrapped up the first level, and I must say, my impressions are less than favorable. It's a stealth game that leans heavily on the basics, offering mechanics that fail to capture interest or excitement. Instead of being engaging and fun, it tends more towards frustration and tedium. This is a far cry from the rich atmosphere of our beloved franchise and far less exciting than we should be able to expect for a Stargate game.

The attempt to integrate elements from the series, such as using the SGC for the menu, falls short and is riddled with inaccuracies and half-hearted implementations. The narrative kickoff is equally disappointing—lacking in engagement, momentum, and coherence with the series' storyline.

Playing through the first mission felt more like a chore than entertainment, to the point where I had to force myself to see it through. Given this experience, I'm disinclined to invest further in the game. It's a real letdown because I was genuinely excited to financially support a new addition to our beloved franchise. In search of some consolation, I've turned back to the familiar comfort of SG1's Season 1, embarking on yet another rewatch. Thankfully, the original series and movies will always remain a reliable source of enjoyment.

At the risk of sounding offensed, it saddens me to think that SGN had to stop to make way for this thing...
                              Stargate Network, a Stargate 3D Fan-Game. Find our demo on ModDB.
                              And comment it on this GW Forum Thread

Comment

Originally posted by moy View Post
                                At the risk of sounding offensed, it saddens me to think that SGN had to stop to make way for this thing...
                                A lot of people will agree.

Comment

Working...
                                X