X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by qasimjavid
    People who havent read the book have no idea what your talking about
    Heh heh heh

It's worth doing the research, folks. Nobody knows gods like Terry Pratchett knows gods.
    Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
    "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
    One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
    resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
    confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
    A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
    The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

I'm of the opinion that the Ori actually think they are doing people a favor. They don't need anything from the lower plane, they have given a gift to those beneath them. Their whole religion is dedicated to finding enlightenment, ascension. To the Ori, eliminating unbelievers removes a dangerous distraction from the ones who are following the path they have designated for them. They are, in their view, the ultimate altruists.

a time to mourn

Comment

Comics are another medium where the gods' getting stronger based on worship has been used. Most notably the Classical gods in DC's comics and the Norse gods in Marvel's Earth X series.

I've never really liked that idea for gods, especially not for a show like SG-1, which used to be pure sci fi that rarely ventured into the metaphysical/fantasy areas. Well, besides the whole mythology thing, but that's practical fantasy that used to be real religions and stuff.
        Thornbird: I'm Major Robort Thornbird. And you are?
        Jack: Captain James T. Kirk of the starship Enterprise.
        Thornbird: Your dog tags say otherwise.
        Jack: ... They're lying.

Comment

I really don't like this ideea. It really doesn't make sense in the SG universe! Their supposed to be ascended, and as our ascended don't even want any contact with the mortal realm it wouldn't make sense!
          I would be more cool if they were building an army of ascended beings for something! And the religion is there to make sure none of the people that ascend start thinking like the Alterans (the whole non-interfering)!
          Understanding is a three-edged sword.

Comment

neal gaiman also had a book out (American Gods I think?) that had tons of gods all of whom derived their power based on how many worshippers they had. decent book.

and i think we'll eventually see the reason why the orii want people to worship them. it grants them extra power, they feed on the worship, they need souls to eat, it feeds the mega fire, etc, etc.

the only bad thing is that it ultimately will have to lead to a kind of conflict between the orii and ancients, which is kinda boring for the show (whee, look at all the superpowers fight with each other while SG1 kinda stands around on the side). unless there is another cliched "oh noes the humans are the only ones that can save the day from beings 10000000 more powerful than them!!!11one"

Comment

Considering the Ori have an entire galaxy of humans who worship them, whereas the Ancients' non-interference pact makes our galaxy's humans almost universally unaware of them, wouldn't the Ori pretty much have any fight in the bag right from the start if the "worship = strength" idea is true? Either it'd be a huge anti-climax where the Ori crush the Ancients easily or it'd make no sense under that rule.

And Neil Gaiman totally rocks.
              Thornbird: I'm Major Robort Thornbird. And you are?
              Jack: Captain James T. Kirk of the starship Enterprise.
              Thornbird: Your dog tags say otherwise.
              Jack: ... They're lying.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCorpulent1
                Considering the Ori have an entire galaxy of humans who worship them, whereas the Ancients' non-interference pact makes our galaxy's humans almost universally unaware of them, wouldn't the Ori pretty much have any fight in the bag right from the start if the "worship = strength" idea is true? Either it'd be a huge anti-climax where the Ori crush the Ancients easily or it'd make no sense under that rule.

And Neil Gaiman totally rocks.

Yeah, I do get the feeling that this is more of a ascended sibling rivalry thing:

"You're a poopy-head!"

"Well you're just a poopy-pants baby!"

"Oh yeah, I'll show you!"

"You and who's army?"

"My army, that's who. Just you wait!"
                Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
                "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
                One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
                resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
                confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
                A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
                The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

the ori totally dont make sense
                  its like they want to rid the universe of mortals
                  gotta hand it to tptb for always keeping a shadow of mystery on anything ancient related
                  maybe Orlin will shed some light on this mystery
                  cant wait to see him!

Comment

Originally posted by TheCorpulent1
                    Considering the Ori have an entire galaxy of humans who worship them

That's another thing that's been bothering me. Well, not that exactly, but rather the truthfulness of what's being said by the Ori and their ilk. Daniel and Vala traveled to another galaxy, true, but...how do we know how many humans are in that galaxy? I guess I don't remember any statement about the Alteran world being just one among many.

I keep thinking of little Shifu in "Absolute Power" and wondering if the Ori are corrupted absolutely. Then again, I keep wondering about that Ori BBQ pit...
                    Me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me me-me-me-me-me-me- meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee .....

--Urgo

Comment

Originally posted by tearsintherain
                      neal gaiman also had a book out (American Gods I think?) that had tons of gods all of whom derived their power based on how many worshippers they had. decent book.

Gah! I was just thinking of that book while I was reading through the thread. "Gods die. And when they truly die they are unmourned and unremembered. Ideas are more difficult to kill than people, but they can be killed, in the end." But it was mentioned (I think) that our Ancients were keeping the Ori at bay, so that must mean that they have some strength at least. Unless the Ori were somehow lower and less powerful, therefore must gain the strength of many followers to go up against the Ancients. But I doubt it. Maybe there was some kind of bet over who can have the most advanced lower planed people... yeah.
                      Why yes, I am aware that I am too sexy for my cat
                      RIP Stargate SG-1: The iris may be closed, but the gate will always be spinning, lighting the chevrons in my heart

And to the Sci Fi Channel...

Comment

Working...
                      X